News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2020, 10:52:13 AM
Completed Opera painting in oils. It is shown in a very early stage as photo 9 in the Around My Place — HAF Photo Challenge thread. The size is 1200 x 750 mm.

The last time I did this kind of hard edge painting, using high contrast acid colours, was way back in the 70's. My usual colours are sombre earthy pigments.

In your face, just like the real thing!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I submitted this photo in the Spheres challenge. It isn't clear in the photo, but the undulating surface the balls are resting on has grooves shaped in the form of a labyrinth.

It was the underpainting for this painting I finished a few days ago. It is called Labyrinth, and was inspired by the colours of the walls in the palace of Knossos, the blues of the sea and the sky, as well as the bloody history of the labyrinth. The size is 760 x 610 mm.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

That's really cool, Hermes! I especially love the combination of colours! :love:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2020, 01:59:59 PM
That's really cool, Hermes! I especially love the combination of colours! :love:

Thank you. Your cheque is in the mail.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 22, 2020, 02:42:15 PM
That's a beautiful painting! I like it.

Thanks. This one was for myself, unlike the last few I finished, and it's already hanging in its proper place. I want to do some more purely for my own amusement.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Ye, I really really like the blue blue one.
The balls are OK, have thought of adding a fish to the big one?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 22, 2020, 02:50:28 PM
Ye, I really really like the blue blue one.
The balls are OK, have thought of adding a fish to the big one?

Earthworms would be more appropriate in most of my things, because they tend to be very earthy and sombre. I think the ones coming up soon will be even darker.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

My concrete sculpture has been installed on site, next to the pool. It is approximately life size (2 m long) and needed 4 people to lift it. The patination forms naturally and varies from batch to batch when the concrete is mixed. I liked the colours that developed, so decided to leave the concrete in its natural state.

― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Very cool! Letting the colors form by themselves is much easier in terms of appearance, in the sense that anytime I, for instance, patinate something it usually looks forced, for lack of a better word. When I first started with my copper dodecahedron, I had it hanging in a screened in sun porch when I lived near the ocean. It was developing spots instead of a uniform color. But then I had to move and had no place outdoors to hang it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 13, 2021, 02:33:10 PM
Very cool! Letting the colors form by themselves is much easier in terms of appearance, in the sense that anytime I, for instance, patinate something it usually looks forced, for lack of a better word. When I first started with my copper dodecahedron, I had it hanging in a screened in sun porch when I lived near the ocean. It was developing spots instead of a uniform color. But then I had to move and had no place outdoors to hang it.

Thank you. I have used ammonia fumes to patinate copper. It works very well.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

This is a small sculpture I call Flamenco (height 220 mm), which I assembled from the parts of a broken lock. I patinated it by suspending the piece over ammonia in a closed plastic contained. The NH3 fumes caused the pretty blue patina on the brass.

― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

:tellmemore: And to think, I've been tossing lock parts in the recycle bin!

No one