News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Started by MadBomr101, May 31, 2020, 04:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on June 12, 2020, 03:59:36 PM
Quote from: Old Seer on June 12, 2020, 02:56:15 PM
This is a movie I remember from teen years. I walked out because I thought it was a war movie, but instead the singing started. Being it was a musical I wasn't interested. So, what is this guy singing about, being gay, or his right to be gay.  :)

You're a clever fellow. I'm not going to condescend to you by explaining in baby terms what the song is saying.
I'm not gaming here. I presented a (what I understand to be) a legitimate question and that was the intent. I am not all that up on homosexuals problems. This movie apparently is from the 50s. At that age I didn't know anything about gay people and didn't know until I became a US Marine. There weren't any gays around my home town that I know of and no one talked about it. I didn't walk out of the movie because it was a gay movie, I couldn't have even known that. Dougy, Dale, and I left because it was a musical, as stated. FYI I have a relatively high IQ but it doesn't cover homosexuality. And also FYI my IQ is a bit higher then Einstein's so you can make a comparison. Now I suppose you're going to tell me IQs don't mean much. Now, would you please tell me what the man on the left is saying after his first sentence so I can get a better context of what he,s saying. I'm not good at accents which he seems to have so, I can put it together and understand and piece together something logical here.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

The musical is not about gay people. The underlying theme in the film, providing dramatic conflict in its plot, is prejudice. The song stands on its own, and its message is clear. The introductory dialog is irrelevant, but I'll make a transcript, just for you. I can't guarantee that it will be exact, because my hearing has never been the best.

The character with the accent: What makes her talk like that? Why do you have this feeling, you and she? I do not believe that it is born in you! I do not believe it!

The singer: It's not born in you. It happens after you're born. . . .

Prejudice based in religion is still prejudice. It isn't due any deference. The people who, because of their religion, have carefully taught their children to feel prejudice toward certain other people don't wish for their teachings to be contradicted by the public schools. At least in the modern western cultures, their religion doesn't give them the authority to dictate what is taught in public schools, any more than a racially prejudiced person can dictate that their child not be taught about tolerance and mutual respect.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Religion is a choice. Skin color, sexual orientation, or where you're born is not!

If you are so narrow minded that you hate those that are different than you, just find an extremely high cliff, and take a dive! This mindset is the root of humanity's idiocy.

I've got news for you buster, I am supposed to be different from you!

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on June 12, 2020, 10:18:51 PM
The musical is not about gay people. The underlying theme in the film, providing dramatic conflict in its plot, is prejudice. The song stands on its own, and its message is clear. The introductory dialog is irrelevant, but I'll make a transcript, just for you. I can't guarantee that it will be exact, because my hearing has never been the best.

The character with the accent: What makes her talk like that? Why do you have this feeling, you and she? I do not believe that it is born in you! I do not believe it!

The singer: It's not born in you. It happens after you're born. . . .

Prejudice based in religion is still prejudice. It isn't due any deference. The people who, because of their religion, have carefully taught their children to feel prejudice toward certain other people don't wish for their teachings to be contradicted by the public schools. At least in the modern western cultures, their religion doesn't give them the authority to dictate what is taught in public schools, any more than a racially prejudiced person can dictate that their child not be taught about tolerance and mutual respect.
Well, now there we go. That's why I ask questions. There wasn't enough there for me to understand the presentation. I had to logically deduce that being it was posted on the homosexual thread that it was something to do with that subject.
And, I cannot hear or see any evidence in that video as to whether it's religion or homosexuality as the subject matter. Also, I don't consider myself stupid to try and fool someone that I can see is very intelligent.   c
I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

Quote from: No one on June 12, 2020, 10:42:20 PM
Religion is a choice. Skin color, sexual orientation, or where you're born is not!

If you are so narrow minded that you hate those that are different than you, just find an extremely high cliff, and take a dive! This mindset is the root of humanity's idiocy.

I've got news for you buster, I am supposed to be different from you!
Who's Buster?
I'm not a Theist.

No one

No one

I am not singling anyone out, no one has given me reason to. I am simply talking generalities, people who actually have this kind of mindset.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on June 12, 2020, 07:03:24 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 12, 2020, 05:46:51 PMEsp. since the song explains itself point blank.

Yeah. As usual I let my tendency toward prolixity overcome my aspirations to conciseness.A simple "It's self explanatory" would have done.  ;)

Ha! There you go doing it again.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

I appreciate somebody at least acknowledging my ponderous attempts at humour.  ;D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

That might be the academic way of saying brownie points I've ever seen.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Old Seer on June 12, 2020, 11:06:15 PM
Well, now there we go. That's why I ask questions.

The thing of it is, you didn't need to ask the question, just listen to the song.  It explains itself point blank.  That's what caused the suspicion that you were playing games.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

MadBomr101

Quote from: Old Seer on June 11, 2020, 11:44:48 PMSome say it's immoral and don't want their children exposed to it, and don't want it taught in schools but rather let that to deal with by parents.

As if homosexuality is a learned behavior by discussing it in school. Are they afraid their kids are going to become drug mules if they discuss the crime rate in Colombia?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

No one

Yes. When I was in school, and we discussed Vietnam, it was open season on anyone named Charlie.

Randy

My name isn't Charlie and it was still open season on me in high school. I got bullied a lot and they never got to know me.

What I find disturbing is the group hatred mentality. It seems that no matter how advanced we've become or enlightened, (after all we are in the 21st century) we still hold these unwanted values as a society. Is it just propagated from parent to child or is there something more to it?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Humans are simply just awful creatures.