News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Started by MadBomr101, May 31, 2020, 04:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 04, 2020, 10:59:29 PM
I don't get why it should even matter if it's a choice or not.

It's a religious issue, which doesn't matter in a fairly secular society but in a religious one it becomes overwhelmingly important.  Like virginity, another non-issue that is vitally important to the religious.  I'm going to guess it has something to do with power and control, but I don't know, didn't understand it even when I was trying to be religious.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 11, 2020, 06:01:14 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 04, 2020, 10:59:29 PM
I don't get why it should even matter if it's a choice or not.

It's a religious issue, which doesn't matter in a fairly secular society but in a religious one it becomes overwhelmingly important.  Like virginity, another non-issue that is vitally important to the religious.  I'm going to guess it has something to do with power and control, but I don't know, didn't understand it even when I was trying to be religious.
It's odd that I don't think it ever crossed my mind back in the seventies and early eighties. Maybe it wasn't a hot issue back then. Outside of the co-worker that I mentioned before I don't think I ever knew it existed. I guess I lived a sheltered life.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

It's a stupid is issue. Just like every other issue humans have with other humans, it comes down to their blatant aggressive ignorance!

Randy

I guess there are quite a few stupid issues. What I don't get is why people get so grouped about them? Why does it have to be "us versus them"? What did "they" do to cause "us" to hate them? They want to be happy. What's wrong with that? Does the "us" people have so little room in their world that they blatantly push out anyone who isn't like minded?

How does their right to "life, liberty, and a pursuit of happiness" make the "us" group so hateful or fearful of anything different?

Most likely these questions have been asked time and again without a good answer.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Because people are arrogant, fearful, ignorant, narcissistic, and most of all, they're stupid.

Old Seer

Some say it's immoral and don't want their children exposed to it, and don't want it taught in schools but rather let that to deal with by parents.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

Is it not more immoral to pass sentence of your moral superiority?

Old Seer

Quote from: No one on June 12, 2020, 12:59:46 AM
Is it not more immoral to pass sentence of your moral superiority?
No, each has a right to their own judgement as something be moral or not. Are you referring to me as morally superior, or my moral superiority, or do I consider myself to be morally superior, If so I stated no such claim.

But at the same time, it seems the LGBT and so on don't want anyone to have their own personal choice as to whether homosexuality is moral or not. It is not immoral to pass judgement on others, it merely may be that one be hypocritical.
If it were immoral then a homosexual would also be immoral to pass judgement on someone for their preference. It would apply to each.
I don't think it wise for me to question an others moral superiority, They just might be. Today's morality seems to be quite arbitrary, if so, then there's no such thing as morals.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

You said "some say", I was simply replying to that.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on June 11, 2020, 11:44:48 PM
Some say it's immoral and don't want their children exposed to it, and don't want it taught in schools but rather let that to deal with by parents.

About that.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

This is a movie I remember from teen years. I walked out because I thought it was a war movie, but instead the singing started. Being it was a musical I wasn't interested. So, what is this guy singing about, being gay, or his right to be gay.  :)
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on June 12, 2020, 02:56:15 PM
This is a movie I remember from teen years. I walked out because I thought it was a war movie, but instead the singing started. Being it was a musical I wasn't interested. So, what is this guy singing about, being gay, or his right to be gay.  :)

You're a clever fellow. I'm not going to condescend to you by explaining in baby terms what the song is saying.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on June 12, 2020, 03:59:36 PM
Quote from: Old Seer on June 12, 2020, 02:56:15 PM

You're a clever fellow. I'm not going to condescend to you by explaining in baby terms what the song is saying.

Esp. since the song explains itself point blank.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 12, 2020, 05:46:51 PMEsp. since the song explains itself point blank.

Yeah. As usual I let my tendency toward prolixity overcome my aspirations to conciseness. A simple "It's self explanatory" would have done.  ;)

— H. L. Mencken