News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

yo

dont forget expanding musical horizons too. i get in a rut that only other people jog me out of.

icarus, all that yousay is true. only some of it is under my control tho. the awful piston domes and combustion chambers were fixed by design in the 1930s-- old edward turner thought that 90 degree included valve angles were good enough for spitfires, so they were good enough for him.

the rocker boxes are bolt_on and the rocker arms are on a fixed shaft and not easily adjutable, and i dont want to deepen the valve seat because im trying to make up in compression what i know im losing in getting mixture over the piston crowns at overlap. tha twin plugs are just a band aid to compensate for the domes--my next fastest competitor runs lower compression and very tight quench clearances--0.032 or so-- and he runs single plugs.

but even he still has to lead the spark 39 degrees before top dead center, and im at only 30 and will be testing less. so what im doing seemz to work, and im faster than him.

and youre right about valve timing being forgiving. maybe. but i ran a cam timing that was way off from what everybody else waz using, and im two mph faster. so i dont want to change what appi ears to work.

i am absolutely not smart enough to do heads, so i send mine to a man in north carolina. the three fastest british 650s in north america all run heads by him. he fills up the intake flloors with epoxy, and lifts the roof, reshaping to a D cross section. he also uses oversize intake AND exhaust valves, which makes me scratch my head. but this motor is all-out top end, not a road racer. it doesnt matter how well it runs below 100 mph, so long as it gets up and over while theres still enough race track in front to hold it open.

no air box on this, by the way, and im violating the computer models by keeping the carbs as close to the head as i can. i have extensions for them still to test once the ignition timing is closer.  but im getting close to as fast as this machine is capable of ever running. changing the length of my exhaust pipes two inches either way costs me 4 mph.

and as you predixtwd, im running on the edge all the time. the reason the machine is still being tuned is that i already ventilated it this past july and it put me a year behind schedule

see im derailing again

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 10, 2019, 03:31:10 AM
Isn't HAF marvellous? In which other atheist forum can one find advice on cam timing, questions of faith and reason, and personal fragrances on the same day?

It's wonderful because of it's members  :love: :hug2: :love:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Ventilated it... I like that expression!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

That blowed up real good!  ;D

I bought an ethernet cable to hard wire my wife's computer. We went to wires after one of my neighbors bragged he could crack any wifi encryption. Wires in the attic- crack that.  >:(  But we hadn't gotten wires to the one bedroom which is now her sewing room, so it was wifi- after that neighbor had moved, though. Her wifi is flaky, so up in the attic I go.

xSilverPhinx

Just went on a shopping spree with my mother (from 9:00 to almost 16:00 :whew:) and bought stuff to furnish the new place. Not too many things though, we spent a lot more time looking at stuff than buying things. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I heartily agree with some of the above comments about our collective versatility. It is most pleasing and often informative to have so many different areas of expertise or, at the  least, some educational experiences. 

Siz

Over the past week, I've been preparing myself for a control line overhaul on my boat.  Purchases include two double blocks for the continuous control line routing, junior ClamCleat with roller for the simplified boom-cleated outhaul, hook and block for a smoother cunningham, 10m each of red and orange 4mm Marlow Exel Control line for the continuous system (kicker and cunningham respectively), splicing needle for end-to-end splicing of continuous lines, needles for lock-stitching splices.
Drilled and filed a rectangular hole in my carbon boom today - nervous times, but looks good. Practiced seemless splicing of the line at home which I was fairly pleased with - now I have to repeat twice in-situ which isn't going to be as easy.

None of that will make me go any faster but it'll look nice and operate more efficiently.

Christmas shopping for the family also started.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Sorry, forgot how to operate this forum. Nothing to see here...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Icarus

Good decisions Silver. I knew that you are smarter than the average bear.

There are some women who seem incapable of resisting some sort of thing that is bargain priced.  They buy those things when they actually need them like they need a paper ass. The merchandisers are fully aware of that and they exploit that human flaw without fail. . Checking out at the supermarket line we are besieged with racey magazines, chewing gum, and candies that are prime impulse buying items.

Credit cards are the embodiment of evil for the impulsive shopper.  A really smart deal is to lock the damned credit cards in a secure place in your basement or attic.  Shop with cash only.  The arithmetic is then pretty easy. One can count their cash balalnce in their purse and determine whether they can or should buy some item or other.

As an old time skinflint I have devised a system for determining whether I really want to buy a particular but non essential item.   

Example: the item is priced at 39 dollars. I will have to pay sales tax of $2.73 to complete the transaction. That comes to $41. 73 at the check out register.  Wait a damned minute.....I make ten dollars per hour in my job.  I have to pay about 17% income tax and my ten dollars becomes $8.30 of useable money.  The item at $41.73 means that I will have to work for ......41.73/8.30 = 5 hours to get that thing that I really do not need to ensure my survival.    Would I work for 5 hours just to get that thing?  Hell no!  I do not need it.  I won't work five hours to get it, and besides that baby needs a new pair of shoes. 

billy rubin

Quote from: Siz on November 11, 2019, 01:04:47 AM
Over the past week, I've been preparing myself for a control line overhaul on my boat.  Purchases include two double blocks for the continuous control line routing, junior ClamCleat with roller for the simplified boom-cleated outhaul, hook and block for a smoother cunningham, 10m each of red and orange 4mm Marlow Exel Control line for the continuous system (kicker and cunningham respectively), splicing needle for end-to-end splicing of continuous lines, needles for lock-stitching splices.
Drilled and filed a rectangular hole in my carbon boom today - nervous times, but looks good. Practiced seemless splicing of the line at home which I was fairly pleased with - now I have to repeat twice in-situ which isn't going to be as easy.

None of that will make me go any faster but it'll look nice and operate more efficiently.

when you say "seamless splicing," is that we used to call a "long splice?"

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2019, 07:41:47 PM
Just went on a shopping spree with my mother (from 9:00 to almost 16:00 :whew:) and bought stuff to furnish the new place. Not too many things though, we spent a lot more time looking at stuff than buying things.

That's good. Minimalism is good for the soul: I'd rather have one good piece in a space than a room full of fake crap.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 06:38:29 AM
Quote from: Siz on November 11, 2019, 01:04:47 AM

when you say "seamless splicing," is that we used to call a "long splice?"
Not sure, Billy. It's where you join the two ends of a line, end to end, forming a continuous uniform loop of line.

Nice pen!

billy rubin

thank you. i am informed that it is a ztylus, not a penm apparently it would assist in reducing typos but i am skeptical

i used to work geophysical boats back az a teenager and wove the retaining nets for the gun floats

the short zplice was when you unraveled a short section ofeach rope and wove them together. the long splice was when you unraveled perhaps three feet and cut the strands short a foot apart, 1, 2, 3. then you wound the strands for the ropes back together into the opposite piece so that you stretched the splice over all three feet, 1 with 3, 2 with 2, 3 with 1. it made a union that was no larger than the original line so that it would still reeve through a block and thats all i know about splicing

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 11, 2019, 01:31:41 AM
Good decisions Silver. I knew that you are smarter than the average bear.

There are some women who seem incapable of resisting some sort of thing that is bargain priced.  They buy those things when they actually need them like they need a paper ass. The merchandisers are fully aware of that and they exploit that human flaw without fail. . Checking out at the supermarket line we are besieged with racey magazines, chewing gum, and candies that are prime impulse buying items.

Credit cards are the embodiment of evil for the impulsive shopper.  A really smart deal is to lock the damned credit cards in a secure place in your basement or attic.  Shop with cash only.  The arithmetic is then pretty easy. One can count their cash balalnce in their purse and determine whether they can or should buy some item or other.

As an old time skinflint I have devised a system for determining whether I really want to buy a particular but non essential item.   

Example: the item is priced at 39 dollars. I will have to pay sales tax of $2.73 to complete the transaction. That comes to $41. 73 at the check out register.  Wait a damned minute.....I make ten dollars per hour in my job.  I have to pay about 17% income tax and my ten dollars becomes $8.30 of useable money.  The item at $41.73 means that I will have to work for ......41.73/8.30 = 5 hours to get that thing that I really do not need to ensure my survival.    Would I work for 5 hours just to get that thing?  Hell no!  I do not need it.  I won't work five hours to get it, and besides that baby needs a new pair of shoes.

Not smarter, just on a tight budget! :lol:

It's not just some women, some men as well, just mostly for different stuff I suppose. I know a few who can't resist buying a new car every year, or the 'next big thing' in the gadget industry...we all have the potential to be impulse buyers, and marketing people know how to exploit that tendency. Just look at supermarkets for instance. There's a logic behind the layout of a supermarket, organisation of shelves, even the type of music some of them play. As you mentioned, it's no accident they put certain items near the cashier or lining the queues.

I agree paying in cash when possible is way better than swiping a credit card, cash feels much more real in the sense that it's concrete hard-earned money you're handing over and not just some number popping up on a screen that you'll deal with when the bill comes. There must be a neurophysiological difference between these two actions too, I'd bet. :chin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey