News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 26, 2016, 07:56:44 AM
Do you mean Jorah Mormont, the one who now has the deadly skin condition?  A decent guy but a bit of a sad sack.
I wonder why he hasn't had someone hack the infected limb off yet.

Maybe that's been tried before by others and failed?  I can't remember the discussions they had over trying to cure Shireen.

I remember Shireen telling Ser Davros that her father had searched and found a cure for the disease.  I wonder whether Ser Davros may be able to steer Jorah in the right direction at some point, although I'm not too sure Jorah is not persona non grata on Westeros...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Crow

Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on May 26, 2016, 11:17:04 AM

I remember Shireen telling Ser Davros that her father had searched and found a cure for the disease.  I wonder whether Ser Davros may be able to steer Jorah in the right direction at some point, although I'm not too sure Jorah is not persona non grata on Westeros...

Right, that business of slave-trading awhile back.  Maybe someone in Eos has a cure?  At least use it as an excuse to explore the civilized parts of that continent more.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Just watched the latest episode. Still feels like this season has been a series of build-up to some sort of climax yet to come, so I'm not sure how I feel yet. Seeing Brian's uncle come back was an unexpected and welcome surprise though, and seeing how Tommen's been brainwashed by the High Sparrow and Maergery was fascinating. I'm certain that Maergery's just using both of them, though I'm not quite sure what her endgame is since she essentially overturned her own house's attempt to reverse course.  Still, I'm sure she hasn't "converted".
As for Sam... I like him and hope it ends well, but given the history of this show, I doubt it will.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Firebird on May 30, 2016, 09:36:46 PM
Just watched the latest episode. Still feels like this season has been a series of build-up to some sort of climax yet to come, so I'm not sure how I feel yet. Seeing Brian's uncle come back was an unexpected and welcome surprise though, and seeing how Tommen's been brainwashed by the High Sparrow and Maergery was fascinating. I'm certain that Maergery's just using both of them, though I'm not quite sure what her endgame is since she essentially overturned her own house's attempt to reverse course.  Still, I'm sure she hasn't "converted".
As for Sam... I like him and hope it ends well, but given the history of this show, I doubt it will.

Definitely agree re: Maerery -- she's got some game of her own going, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was big and devious enough to impress even her grandma.  And I have to say, as much as I dislike the High Sparrow, I was impressed by his political maneuvering.  Loved the cocky little smile Pryce put on his face, that was perfect.

And speaking of love, yes -- love Sam, and Sam & Gilly.  Do think however that taking his father's sword was going the step too far that will guarantee things do not end well for them. 

Altho this surprises me, I was just as glad to see Arya leave the Faceless Men altho I'd once been eager to see her join them.  I'm glad she wasn't able to give up her independent identity and sense of morality after all.  And now that she has Needle back, I'm hoping her dire wolf will be turning up again soon as well.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

I just hope that both Arya and Sam don't pay for their choices with their lives.

As for the Danaerys arc, it all still feels a little too haven't we seen this before? to me, though I guess three grown dragons are an added bonus this time. What happens to Mereen, though if she goes on to finally conquer the 7 kingdoms? I would love to see Tyrion return to Westeros with Dany, and especially Cersei's reaction when she realises what's happening.

So Benjen Stark is alive and well. When he appeared I thought at first that he was Coldhands, and was sort of disappointed when he wasn't. 

Pasta Chick

We get the Hound back AND he's hanging out with Al Swearengen?! Best episode all season. Too bad it was short lived for Ian :(

Asmodean

I did expect to see the return of The Hound. He's too miserable to just die.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Random thoughts on episode 6.7:

*Loved the Hound's entrance -- one man carrying a log that took 4 of 5 normal men to hoist.  Also enjoyed Ian McShane's turn as a priest.  Quite a departure from the last role I saw him in (actually, the last several roles I saw him in).  The Hound had one of my favorite lines:  "Aye, there's a reason.  I'm a big fucker and tough to kill."  Dear Hound, so down to earth.  I do wish he'd cut his hair tho -- always having that scraggly mess hanging down his neck and in his eyes makes me twitch.

*I knew it!  I knew Margaery was up to something and I so hope that she wins in whatever scheme she's cooking up so I can enjoy her web-weaving and not end up having to mourn her, as I have so many other characters on this show.  Maybe grandma Oleanna will hang around close enough to take a hand if things go pear-shaped.  Obviously she can't hide out in King's Landing, but I'm assuming she has spies and can hole up somewhere nearby.  Also loved Oleanna tearing Cersai a new one before she left -- "I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met."  Yeah, I wonder that too.

*"Congress does not require desire on the woman's part, only patience".  Well if that doesn't send a shudder down my spine nothing will.

*Bronn had my other favorite line of the episode, and it is so wrong:  "You just allowed eight thousand men to approach unchallenged.  Good thing we're friends, or we'd be fucking you in the ass right now."

*Those Frey brothers are such knuckleheads they qualify as comedy relief.  Question to the book readers: are these two cheese balls the only sons Walder Frey has?  Other than them, all his kids appear to be daughters.

*Davos saves the day yet again with the little Lady of Bear Island.  Really, the other characters should just shut up and let the Onion Knight do all the talking when they're in a sticky situation. 

*Yarra is now officially my favorite female character.  That tough love speech to Theon followed by a kiss on his forehead won my heart.  Most of the Iron Islanders may be Dothraki with ships instead of horses, but Yarra is so much more. 

*I'm guessing that Sansa sent a raven to Baelish.  I think she hates him and doesn't trust him, but he plays the game better than anyone else she knows so she's willing to try to use him and learn his tricks. 

*Arya's another tough little nut, tho it was weird how she could walk around that busy market openly bleeding without a remark from anyone about it.

Really looking forward to the next episode when it seems Cersai's trial by combat will finally happen.

Sandy

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 07, 2016, 09:53:32 AM
*Arya's another tough little nut, tho it was weird how she could walk around that busy market openly bleeding without a remark from anyone about it.
That I can buy. The walking around with at least one fatal wound part though... Not so much.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on June 07, 2016, 10:44:21 AM
That I can buy. The walking around with at least one fatal wound part though... Not so much.

Yeah, particularly after that dip in what was probably filth infested waters.  Still, walking around bleeding and nobody so much as gasps or yells "holy crap"?
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 07, 2016, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 07, 2016, 10:44:21 AM

Yeah, particularly after that dip in what was probably filth infested waters.  Still, walking around bleeding and nobody so much as gasps or yells "holy crap"?

I guess it's because such sights would be a commonplace occurrence.