News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

"We are all sacred"

Started by reddevil0126, April 05, 2012, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I think an engineer would be quite ashamed of himself if he created a machine as flawed as a human is with the purpose of survival in nature.

Yes, we consider ourselves smart, but we are slow, we can swim, but not very well, we can not fly, no fangs, no razor claws, not even a proper tail... Oh, and ears that can not be pointed every which way... The list goes on, really. I think much of the reason for our relative success is that the rest of land-based life is as imperfect as we are, only in different ways.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 09:09:03 PM
Quote from: Crow on April 05, 2012, 07:45:55 PM
Now call me stupid but aren't humans animals, this definition seems to be stuck in archaic thinking that humans are superior to other forms of life.

We're not?  Did another life form on earth travel to and from space by their own means of knowledge, technology and their ability to bulid and reason the need/desire to do so...not to mention communication across the globe via 101 keys to name two?  
Have humans ever reqrown a lost limb?
Or morphed from a crawling creature into a flying creature?
Or changed the colour of their skin to blend into the background?
Or hibernate through all the months of winter (some frogs hibernate for years)

Are you suggesting that the "road" to what has become homosapien hasn't done any of these things?  Is it not the going idea that we humans and all that is on earth came to be from cosmic dust?  If so, I'd say we have done all these things, but have evolved away from these.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 09:28:24 PM
Now call me stupid but aren't humans animals, this definition seems to be stuck in archaic thinking that humans are superior to other forms of life.

We're not?  Did another life form on earth travel to and from space by their own means of knowledge, technology and their ability to bulid and reason the need/desire to do so...not to mention communication across the globe via 101 keys to name two?  

Are you suggesting that the "road" to what has become homosapien hasn't done any of these things?  Is it not the going idea that we humans and all that is on earth came to be from cosmic dust?  If so, I'd say we have done all these things, but have evolved away from these.
All animals are special in their own way.
Humans are just an animal, inferior to other animals in many ways.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 09:47:24 PM
All animals are special in their own way.
Humans are just an animal, inferior to other animals in many ways.

I can accept that, however I'd say that the "inferior" points are likely overcome.  i.e. Flying.  We may not be able to fly ourselves, but we do make some contraptions that get a whole lot of us from point A to point B a lot faster.  :)

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 05, 2012, 08:59:32 PM
This doesn't necessarily imply 'superior', just different. That's a fair assertion don't you think?

Nope. I'm a firm believer that humanity is no different from any form of life, we have just evolved in a way that has made us a highly successful species, we may be made up of trillions of cells but at a fundamental level act no different than a single celled organism. I don't see how looking at an ants nest is any different than looking at a city, we may be different than the vast majority of life due to many different reasons but that doesn't mean we are separate from it, we are just one of the myriad manifestations that has happened through the long history of life on this planet.
Retired member.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Crow on April 05, 2012, 11:16:49 PM
I don't see how looking at an ants nest is any different than looking at a city,...

This ant from a mound on the west coast of the U.S. is communicating with another ant in another mound from across the Atlantic (apparently) within seconds.  One difference.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on April 05, 2012, 11:16:49 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 05, 2012, 08:59:32 PM
This doesn't necessarily imply 'superior', just different. That's a fair assertion don't you think?

Nope. I'm a firm believer that humanity is no different from any form of life, we have just evolved in a way that has made us a highly successful species, we may be made up of trillions of cells but at a fundamental level act no different than a single celled organism. I don't see how looking at an ants nest is any different than looking at a city, we may be different than the vast majority of life due to many different reasons but that doesn't mean we are separate from it, we are just one of the myriad manifestations that has happened through the long history of life on this planet.
I agree with you on most counts, but I believe we are entitled to separate ourselves. If we're capable of screwing the whole place up for all creatures, we must take responsibility for our actions aside from all creatures. We're not superior to any creature, we're not of higher value than any other creature, we simply have an ability to manipulate our surroundings more than any other creature... by a long way. That makes us different, and our very different brains allow us the ability to contemplate our difference. And assert it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Sweetdeath

Seriously. Most creatures, mamals and non mamals alike are amazing.
I still think it's so cool that camels can live on so little water.

And the way female vampire bats hunt; so cool! :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Jimmy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 06, 2012, 03:39:56 AM

Seriously. Most creatures, mamals and non mamals alike are amazing.
I still think it's so cool that camels can live on so little water.

And the way female vampire bats hunt; so cool! :)

Yes! Living Creatures are just AMAZING in general!! At least we have a large brain/body ratio which allows us to appreciate the immense diversity of life ;D I love seeing videos of deep sea creatures!! They're so strange; almost from another world.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Sweetdeath

Definitely :)

And jhst think, there  are creatures beneath the sea we haven't discovered yet. How can they live in total darkness under such intense pressure??
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.