News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Trump Supporter Disorder

Started by MadBomr101, April 23, 2020, 06:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

therez been a whole generation of truth deniers now.

it got started back some 25 years ago when the dark side realized they didnt have to win arguments by being right, all they had to do was lie repeatedlyuntil people couldnt tell the diffrence.

and here we are living under the minitrue

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

Question, as a matter of personal interest. If Hillary would have become president what would be the differences we would have today then the presidency ofTrump. IOW, what would be the differences in the state of affairs of the US.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Dark Lightning

Off the top of my head, US/world relations would be orders of magnitude better. The coronavirus response would have been many weeks sooner. There would have been women hanged in effigy, somewhere. We'd have at least one less conservative judge on the bench of the SCOTUS. There would still be a number of the chump's associates in prison, under indictment, etc.

Icarus

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 26, 2020, 04:34:34 AM
Off the top of my head, US/world relations would be orders of magnitude better.
What's wrong with them? I can't speak for the World, nor do I care to, but my immediate area is as friendly towards the United States as it was under the previous administration.

QuoteThe coronavirus response would have been many weeks sooner.
I doubt it. Although, if Mrs. Clinton's leadership were more authoritarian in nature, it may have been. Among the more densely populated "civilized" countries, there is a certain correlation between the state's nannying and their respective infection plots. The freer among them tend to be on a linear incline, while the infection rates in various nanny-states have largely stagnated or declined.

Note that when I talk about "nannying" here, it's not only a matter of top-down government control, "there ought to be a law" style, but just as much a matter of general public attitudes (Whether the population at large also thinks that there ought to be a law, or if they lean towards "keep your government hands out of my cookie jar") EDIT: Upon re-reading, I see that I was imprecise here; the wording I was looking for was, "the strength of 'government is a hindrnace/necessary evil' sentiment among the population." I did not mean "the majority," although I worded it thusly.

QuoteThere would have been women hanged in effigy, somewhere.
I'm no connoisseur of effigies, nor do I think such things are something an president should be involved in at all, but why is it important, exactly, that they be women? In matters of who gets a statue, ought not their personal achievements far out-weigh their sex glands?

QuoteWe'd have at least one less conservative judge on the bench of the SCOTUS.
Yep. (No, really. Simply, yep.)

QuoteThere would still be a number of the chump's associates in prison, under indictment, etc.
Exactly who and for what? (I'm not saying that would not happen, but when the cunt-pickeld fuck* did regular people on The Left™ stop adhering to the principles of innocence until guilt is proven beyond reasonable doubt? On a related note, "listen and believe" is crap. People lie.)

*I do apologize for the level of vulgarity, but that was one of the main drives for my no-longer losely self-identifying with the Left. The issue of presumption of innocence is something I will not easily forsake.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Asmodean on May 26, 2020, 11:04:12 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 26, 2020, 04:34:34 AM
Off the top of my head, US/world relations would be orders of magnitude better.
What's wrong with them? I can't speak for the World, nor do I care to, but my immediate area is as friendly towards the United States as it was under the previous administration.

I know what I read from other areas of the world about how the chump affects them. Maybe there's hyperbole there?
QuoteThe coronavirus response would have been many weeks sooner.
I doubt it. Although, if Mrs. Clinton's leadership were more authoritarian in nature, it may have been. Among the more densely populated "civilized" countries, there is a certain correlation between the state's nannying and their respective infection plots. The freer among them tend to be on a linear incline, while the infection rates in various nanny-states have largely stagnated or declined.

Note that when I talk about "nannying" here, it's not only a matter of top-down government control, "there ought to be a law" style, but just as much a matter of general public attitudes (Whether the population at large also thinks that there ought to be a law, or if they lean towards "keep your government hands out of my cookie jar") EDIT: Upon re-reading, I see that I was imprecise here; the wording I was looking for was, "the strength of 'government is a hindrnace/necessary evil' sentiment among the population." I did not mean "the majority," although I worded it thusly.

QuoteThere would have been women hanged in effigy, somewhere.
I'm no connoisseur of effigies, nor do I think such things are something an president should be involved in at all, but why is it important, exactly, that they be women? In matters of who gets a statue, ought not their personal achievements far out-weigh their sex glands?

I should have been more specific- I meant Hilary would have been hanged in effigy. When Obama was elected, he was hanged and burned in effigy.

QuoteWe'd have at least one less conservative judge on the bench of the SCOTUS.
Yep. (No, really. Simply, yep.)

QuoteThere would still be a number of the chump's associates in prison, under indictment, etc.
Exactly who and for what? (I'm not saying that would not happen, but when the cunt-pickeld fuck* did regular people on The Left™ stop adhering to the principles of innocence until guilt is proven beyond reasonable doubt? On a related note, "listen and believe" is crap. People lie.)

I guess the ones involved with the Russian offers of help would be. Hard to say, since Hilary isn't in office.

*I do apologize for the level of vulgarity, but that was one of the main drives for my no-longer losely self-identifying with the Left. The issue of presumption of innocence is something I will not easily forsake.

Responses in green, because  I'm not sure how you did those quotes all separated out.

Tom62

^Well, I don't like both of them.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old Seer

I didn't intend there to be a political debate. My interest is- in your opinion/insight how would the US be different today (if at all) if Hillary had been president this last 3-1/2 years.  The reason I ask is,  just as today logic says there will be the same choices as last election, either Globalism or Americanism.  :)
edit: I'm interpreting Americanism to mean that the country remains as previous, a capitalistic entity.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

In your opinion globalism is something other than capitalism, then?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on May 26, 2020, 09:06:04 PM
I'm totally biting on that, but not this evening :hooked:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on May 26, 2020, 09:06:04 PM
No. Capitalism is a personal choice. At the same time - capitalism is a predatory process. All are predatory by one's personal nature. So it cannot be disallowed. Americanism is based (at present time) on capitalism. BUT, people must realize that the predator must be controlled instead of letting it run loose to the harm of the many. I need to add however, the US system doesn't easily allow any other processes to be very successful , which I find unconstitutional.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

How is capitalism a personal choice?

Globalism appears to be completely intertwined with globalization. This in turn is driven by multinational corporations. Governments have largely become the lapdogs of various corporate interests, and since globalization is good for the most powerful corporate interests, globalism as an underlying ideology reigns. This state of affairs will most likely continue as long as the current civilization exists.

The term "Americanism" is vague and amorphous. You blandly bring it into the discussion and say it's based on capitalism. Somebody else might say that it's based on personal freedom. Capitalism and personal freedom are not necessarily congruent. The worker in the textile mill in 19th century Manchester was basking in the glory of capitalism, but had very little personal freedom. The point is, your use of "Americanism" clouds the discussion. It may be your personal shorthand for something, but that isn't any help.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

I would rather say, it should be a personal choice. I'm going by my situation as is. I'm retired and out of business. But, if I were to do some business I have to take into account whether I'm being predatory or not, or to what degree. The everyday individual that has to make a living may not have much of a choice. We are stuck with an inherited system of economy. I would rather be in a closed social system economy, but even at that it would still require at times a bit of capitalism. Capitalism isn't necessarily predatory but is an open door to predatory practices. 

I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

A·mer·i·can·ism
/əˈmerik(ə)niz(ə)m/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: Americanism; plural noun: Americanisms

a word, expression, or other feature that is characteristic of American English.
    "the term is an Americanism dating back to the late nineteenth century"
        a custom, quality, or institution characteristic of the United States.
        "Americanisms such as the barbecue and the swimming pool"
    attachment or allegiance to the traditions, institutions, and ideals of the United States.
    "Americans in Europe have almost all preserved their Americanism"
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on May 27, 2020, 01:57:23 PM
A·mer·i·can·ism
/əˈmerik(ə)niz(ə)m/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: Americanism; plural noun: Americanisms

a word, expression, or other feature that is characteristic of American English.
    "the term is an Americanism dating back to the late nineteenth century"
        a custom, quality, or institution characteristic of the United States.
        "Americanisms such as the barbecue and the swimming pool"
    attachment or allegiance to the traditions, institutions, and ideals of the United States.
    "Americans in Europe have almost all preserved their Americanism"

Do you believe that has advanced the discussion in any way?
— H. L. Mencken