News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Enteral Ventilation

Started by Recusant, May 16, 2021, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

An intriguing discovery which may save some lives.

"Mammals can breathe through anus in emergencies: study" | Phys.org

QuoteRodents and pigs share with certain aquatic organisms the ability to use their intestines for respiration, finds a study publishing May 14th in the journal Med. The researchers demonstrated that the delivery of oxygen gas or oxygenated liquid through the rectum provided vital rescue to two mammalian models of respiratory failure.

"Artificial respiratory support plays a vital role in the clinical management of respiratory failure due to severe illnesses such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome," says senior study author Takanori Takebe of the Tokyo Medical and Dental University and the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. "Although the side effects and safety need to be thoroughly evaluated in humans, our approach may offer a new paradigm to support critically ill patients with respiratory failure."

[. . .]

In the new study, Takebe and his collaborators provide evidence for intestinal breathing in rats, mice, and pigs. First, they designed an intestinal gas ventilation system to administer pure oxygen through the rectum of mice. They showed that without the system, no mice survived 11 minutes of extremely low-oxygen conditions. With intestinal gas ventilation, more oxygen reached the heart, and 75% of mice survived 50 minutes of normally lethal low-oxygen conditions.

Because the intestinal gas ventilation system requires abrasion of the intestinal muscosa, it is unlikely to be clinically feasible, especially in severely ill patients—so the researchers also developed a liquid-based alternative using oxygenated perfluorochemicals. These chemicals have already been shown clinically to be biocompatible and safe in humans.

The intestinal liquid ventilation system provided therapeutic benefits to rodents and pigs exposed to non-lethal low-oxygen conditions. Mice receiving intestinal ventilation could walk farther in a 10% oxygen chamber, and more oxygen reached their heart, compared to mice that did not receive intestinal ventilation. Similar results were evident in pigs. Intestinal liquid ventilation reversed skin pallor and coldness and increased their levels of oxygen, without producing obvious side effects. Taken together, the results show that this strategy is effective in providing oxygen that reaches circulation and alleviates respiratory failure symptoms in two mammalian model systems.

[Continues . . .]

The paper is open access:

"Mammalian enteral ventilation ameliorates respiratory failure" | Med

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

:notsure:

I feel a fart joke coming...

(Even if it's mostly methane, heh :grin:)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 16, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
:notsure:

I feel a fart joke coming...

(Even if it's mostly methane, heh :grin:)

I've heard it's not healthy to suppress those for too long. ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I have experienced numerous bullshit artists who can rightly be accused of talking out of their ass.  Breathing in or out the ass is a whole other deal.

Tank

The colon extracts water from faeces. An American doctor speculated that if a sailor were stuck on a raft in the sea with no fresh water they could have a sea water enema and the colon would do its job and rehydrate the sailor. Unfortunately the relative concentration of salt in the human body (blood) meant that it didn't work :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

I read a biography of Le Pétomane many years ago. He was capable of "inhaling" through his nether orifice, which enabled him to play tunes therefrom, as well as a variety of sound effects. Given this study it would seem that he also unknowingly was in fact absorbing oxygen through the lower section of his bowels whilst he was performing.
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Bog turtles look askance.  :sidesmile:

"Cloacoal breathing - how do bog turtles stay under water for so long?" | Asheville Ecological Services Field Office

QuoteBog turtles, befitting their name, live in Appalachian bogs, where they like to burrow into the mud and muck of the wetland's bottom, some of it quite thick and sticky. However, bog turtles, like all turtles, are air breathers, which begs the question if a bog turtle is two feet deep in mud and muck, how can it breathe?

Some of us look at birds and wish we could fly. Others watch dolphins and wish we could swim so easily, gracefully, and swiftly. And there may be a few who look at a bog turtle and wish they could breathe with their butts.

Unlike most mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and birds don't have a separate rectum and urethra, but rather a single organ, called a cloaca, serves the intestinal, urinary, and genital tracts. Some aquatic turtles, including the bog turtle, have openings off the cloaca, called bursae, which are densely laced with blood vessels. Water enters these chambers and the oxygen is removed, allowing the turtle to wander at length in the murky depths of Appalachian bogs. The ability to breathe at the end of your digestive tract isn't limited to aquatic turtles, but rather a feat that can be pulled off by animals as diverse as sea cucumbers and young dragonflies which spend their nymph stage as aquatic insects.
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Mind you some politicians have developed the ability to talk out their anus.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

I had a friend in high school who could suck air up his arse and fart at will.  Inhale - exhale.

Icarus

^Tour friend must have been the life of the party...

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 18, 2021, 11:17:39 PM
I had a friend in high school who could suck air up his arse and fart at will.  Inhale - exhale.

What had will done to deserve that!

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on May 19, 2021, 02:38:43 AM
^Tour friend must have been the life of the party...

Yes. But I'd bet good money he didn't get laid after performing his party piece!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 18, 2021, 11:17:39 PM

:popcorn: Ok wut.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey