News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

your own wisdom thread. post wisdom from forum members

Started by billy rubin, March 05, 2021, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

people, wisdom comes from odd sources. some of it even from here.

if you discover that someone here has said something that strikes you as especially wise (or especially dumb, we're open to the catholic approach)

then post it here for everybody to consider. i found one a moment ago and will post is shortly as a fitting first offering to the god of forum wisdom

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

well what i saw wasn't quite as profound as i thought. so i'm looking for a fitting alternaitves. if any o5f you have an attack of profundity, feel free to constriubute.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Be careful with the wisdom of others.  ;)

That's my take on it anyway. People have different backgrounds and different life experiences which might not translate that well in the lives of others.

Sincerely,

Wannabe armchair philosopher
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

if you would post something intelligent, i wont have to keep looking around.

i no longer really know what should be considered intelligent.

cept i can still fake it maybe

Icarus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 05, 2021, 11:33:52 PM

That's my take on it anyway. People have different backgrounds and different life experiences which might not translate that well in the lives of others.

Sincerely,

Thumbs up for your astute reply,  Silver!   

Randy

My thoughts are that one man's wisdom could be another man's folly. There have been times when I've gone against conventional wisdom and did better.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

this seems an appropriate place to start.

Sincerely,

youu areae all going to have tot op this from now on.

lol

sory y for th efuckin typoess

Magdalena

Sincerely,

Dear, Wannabe armchair philosopher...

I think you are right.
"People have different backgrounds and different life experiences which might not translate that well in the lives of others."

Let me give you an example of this:

The other day I read this:
"Mezcal is Spanish for jet fuel.  Never acquired a taste for it, though I tried."
--Ecurb Noselrub

I've never had Mezcal or jet fuel, but I could use the same words
...with a twist, if I find myself drinking with a religious person one day:

"Some say the Blood of Jesus has the power to make you free.
...Never acquired a taste for it, though I tried."

:grin:

Sincerely,

That atheist bitch

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on March 06, 2021, 04:32:16 AM

Sincerely,

I think you are right.
"People have different backgrounds and different life experiences which might not translate that well in the lives of others."

"Mezcal is Spanish for jet fuel.  Never acquired a taste for it, though I tried."
--Ecurb Noselrub

Sincerely,

That atheist bitch

:rofl:

Randy

Sincerely,

I think you are right.

--Ecurb Noselrub

Sincerely,

That atheist bitch
I wonder if drinking the blood of Jesus makes one a vampire? The idea of wine turning into blood after drinking it makes me sick to my stomach.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

randy, there are different takes on transubstantiaion

with catholics and orthodox, the complete change from bread and wine into flesh and blood takes place before you eat it, when the host is elevated during the ritual, iirc. you are actually drinking real blood and eating real flesh, it's just the outward appearance is masked from you.

some protestants advocate consubstantiation, in which both aspects of the earthly and holy are present simultaneously. others believe the whole thing is symbolic. traditional quakers held that the whole thing was BS

one person's doctrine is another's heresy

Randy

Billy, that sounds even worse. Yet can't the people tell at the taste that it is still wine and crackers? That alone should tell them it's bogus.

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on March 06, 2021, 04:47:41 PM

Sincerely,

I think you are right.

--Ecurb Noselrub

Sincerely,

That atheist bitch
I wonder if drinking the blood of Jesus makes one a vampire? The idea of wine turning into blood after drinking it makes me sick to my stomach.

I know what you mean, Randy...

That stuff can set you free, give you life or condemn you. If you can't decide, it gets you drunk. Multipurpose.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Sincerely,

I think you are right.

--Ecurb Noselrub

Sincerely,

That atheist bitch

:lol:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 06, 2021, 06:16:53 PM
Billy, that sounds even worse. Yet can't the people tell at the taste that it is still wine and crackers? That alone should tell them it's bogus.

But they believe, Randy. :grin: