News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

im sorry for the digression, but hunter was magnificent in this motion picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TljLPFa_vNU

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on April 20, 2021, 12:00:15 AM
Another "go figure" is the news that Texas legislators are moving to make it permissible for any citizen to open carry. No license or training required.  Given the current climate of  shootings, including the one in Austin (capitol of the state of Texas), WTF are these legislators thinking?  Are they thinking the deal about " a good guy with a gun versus a bad guy with a gun" thing?  That only works if the good guy kills the bad guy before the bad guy reveals the details of his deranged mission. In which case the good guy is  the murderer and is subject to prosecution..............except in Texas?????

Somehow I cannot envision Ecurb with a 44 magnum revolver in his holster while at the Dairy queen.

I only carry my 44 mag at high quality restaurants.  If I'm just stopping for a cone I rely on my Bowie knife.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2021, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on April 20, 2021, 02:08:24 AM
arizona is open carry by anybody.

i worked a cash register in a circle K convenience store in mesa, arizona when i was in school. people walked in with guns all the time, every day. little pistols, 45s, single action revolvers, of all things. you didn't pay any attention to it because you assumed that everybody you saw was armed, whether you saw a gun or not.

just part of that culture. my wife worked alone in the mountains on her masters thesis, and she wore a .357 all day long, even under her chest waders out in the cienegas.

Astonishing.

Virginia is an open carry state in most locations. The state recently allowed localities to place restrictions, but only highly urban areas are doing so. It really isn't an issue though.

Our CCW permit is also reciprocated by, I think, 37 states. That could change any day now, so I'll be getting a Utah nonresident permit. The training is done, fingerprints are in the works, and then there is a lengthy and thorough background check. But, Utah is unlikely to revoke reciprocity, so I won't have to be concerned about crossing state lines so long as I don't travel North.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Another one today in San Jose. Nine dead, others injured.  (sigh!)

Tank

These are so common they don't make the news in the UK any more.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Sometimes I think the titled of this thread should be changed to "Another Mass Shooting in the US", but then I realize how superfluous that is....anyway, here in the US they are banning books, like "1984", "The Handmaid's Tale", "Maus", "To Kill a Mockingbird", just to name a few.

Oddly they aren't banning "Men Kampf". Not that they should ban it, but at first I found it odd that they weren't, but than I realized how much the white, Christian people in this country who loves guns, god and the Bible also love Nazis and Trump.

So they are banning books because they say they want to keep the children safe...they won't ban guns, I mean guns don't kill people, but books do!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Tom62

Didn't they also ban Dr. Seuss in the US? That was the weirdest thing that I ever heard. BTW, ,,Mein Kampf" is banned over here. I just wish that they did the same with ,,Das Kapital", another book that caused millions of deaths.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

Quote from: Tom62 on February 09, 2022, 08:58:52 PM
Didn't they also ban Dr. Seuss in the US? That was the weirdest thing that I ever heard. BTW, ,,Mein Kampf" is banned over here. I just wish that they did the same with ,,Das Kapital", another book that caused millions of deaths.

You can't really ban books in the US, at least not de jure. There is some leeway in public libraries, especially in schools, but none of those books are banned. Certain Dr. Seuss titles are nearly impossible to obtain now, having been discontinued by the publisher and delisted by major retailers, but none of them are banned in the sense of Mein Kampf in Germany.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tom62

Quote from: jumbojak on February 09, 2022, 09:38:19 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on February 09, 2022, 08:58:52 PM

You can't really ban books in the US, at least not de jure. There is some leeway in public libraries, especially in schools, but none of those books are banned. Certain Dr. Seuss titles are nearly impossible to obtain now, having been discontinued by the publisher and delisted by major retailers, but none of them are banned in the sense of Mein Kampf in Germany.

I think that there is just a tiny distinction between banning books or making them unavailable to the public. The effect would be the same. BTW, even though Mein Kampf is forbidden here, it is quite easy to download an English language copy of it from the internet.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

Books are being banned from School libraries, and teachers are being prohibited from teaching about certain books in their classes, there are even efforts to press charges against school librarians....of course the books in mention are still available at Public Libraries, Book-Stores, or Online.
At a couple schools I've read the students have actually formed after-hour book clubs where they actually are reading and discussing the books which are being banned at their schools.

Banning or prohibiting books at our schools is a dangerous precedent, and of course there are also public schools were they are trying to teach religion or allow the bible to be studied.

QuoteIn Wyoming, a county prosecutor's office considered charges against library employees for stocking books like "Sex Is a Funny Word" and "This Book Is Gay."

In Oklahoma, a bill was introduced in the State Senate that would prohibit public school libraries from keeping books on hand that focus on sexual activity, sexual identity or gender identity.

In Tennessee, the McMinn County Board of Education voted to remove the Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel "Maus" from an eighth-grade module on the Holocaust because of nudity and curse words.

The above excerpt is from an article which ran in the New York times. Published Jan. 30, 2022
Updated Feb. 8, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/30/books/book-ban-us-schools.html

Books = Bad
Guns = Good
America = Fucked

billy rubin

i used to get flak over the harry potter books my nutcase FIL used to bring for the kids when he visited. i would pitch em in the furnace.

i didnt mind tbe supernatural stuff. what i objected to was the celebration of a world with no moral underpinnings, no abstract right or wrong, an acceptance of evil ss a necessary component of community.

ive mellowed out since, but i still consider the books pretty shallow

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: billy rubin on February 10, 2022, 01:39:13 PM
i used to get flak over the harry potter books my nutcase FIL used to bring for the kids when he visited. i would pitch em in the furnace.

i didnt mind tbe supernatural stuff. what i objected to was the celebration of a world with no moral underpinnings, no abstract right or wrong, an acceptance of evil ss a necessary component of community.

ive mellowed out since, but i still consider the books pretty shallow

I'm sorry, not sure if I read your comment correctly, but are saying you used to burn the Harry Potter Books your Father-In Law would bring as gifts for your children?

billy rubin

that is completely correct.

we burned all our garbage. we have a giant cast iron coal furnace in the basement that consumes about 4 or 5 tons of coal in the winter. also paper plates, bags, wood scraps, junk mail, old magazines, discarded books, and anything dry that doesnt go into the compost pile.

my father in law was eccentric to the point of mental illness. he would give the kids all sorts of things we asked him not to bring-- martial arts weapons (we were strict pacifists), comic books with blood-soaked illustrations, literally gabage bag aftrr garbage bag of beanie baby stuffed animals. once he brought all the kids skateboards, although we live on a dirt road miles from the pavement. you couldnt talk to him about it. he was nuts. he was a hoarder and wanted everybody else to hoard as well.

he was a follower of harold camping, and would bring esoteric berean religious books and commentaries-- not one, but five or six of each title. i still have copies of every concordance to the KJV ever written, but ive given away the duplicates.

i dont like the harry potter books because the characters were moral relativists-- evil was an accepted and necessay part of the world, and of the hogwartz school in the form of the slitherins. the followers of voldemort were distributed throughout socieyy and tolrrated there, although voldemort embodied evil. the main characters such ss dumbledore lied to get what they wanted without compunction. and so on.

the attitude towatds religion was weirdly unbalanced. every british public school has chapel, except hogwartz did not. although they celebrated christian religious holidays. voldemort had divided his soul into seven horcruxes to defend from attack.

excuse me. his soul?

and what always irked me was the exercise of magic, without a clue as to where the energy was coming from. fairies? forces of nature? aliens? cthulu? it was nevrr addtessed.

so when the kids were young i threw the harry potter books in the furnace and read them lord of the rings every night instead

when they got old enough to talk about what was in the books none of tbem had any interest in them.

Tom62

The next time your father in law give your kids blood-soaked comic books you can send them directly to me.
Robert A. Heinlein