News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Historic event

Started by Icarus, December 08, 2019, 03:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on April 13, 2020, 07:07:04 AM
Historic events of the day April 12:

1955: The Salk vaccine against polio was declared safe and effective

1961: Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gregarian became the first man to fly in space. He orbited earth one time and returned to earth safely.

1963: Civil rights leader Martin L king was arrested and jailed in Birmingham Alabama.  During his time behind bars he wrote his : Letter from Birmingham jail

Thanks Icarus,...thought I would just post this.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Osama Bin Laden was sent to meet Allah by an elite group of Navy seals in 2011,  He was buried at sea on the next day so as to pay respect to the Muslim beliefs about the treatment of the dead.

Tank

I suspect that the burial at sea also had the additional advantage that there would be no grave to become a shrine.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Today, May 18, is the 21 first anniversary of the massive explosion at the Mount Saint Helens volcano in Washington state. That event made a helluva mess and cost many iives. 

Randy

It exploded on March 27, 1980. I may have missed something though in 1999. I'll have to look it up.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

:) Started erupting on March 27, 1980, major eruption event on May 18, 1980. "Bofe" as a friend of mine used to say.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

Ah yes. I forgot that it took a long time. I had to look up the date of the eruption because I remember being in my parent's house at the time so I would have most likely been a teenager.

I made some kind of soup back then from the leftovers in the refrigerator and they way it bubbled gave me a reason to name my creation "Mount Saint Hellen's". I don't think it was very good however. It was gray for one thing so I figured that as a soup, it wasn't very soupy.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

My historical date sources have lied to me it would seem.  Or maybe I was too much into the sauce when I wrote that bit.