News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

ask a quaker

Started by billy rubin, February 17, 2020, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Kusa on February 20, 2020, 04:18:10 PM
Ask a Quaker.

What is your secret recipe for oats?

we don't do the oats, actually, in spite of the association

we don't do the stinking motor oil, either

and we don't do the beer

and we sure as shit don't get any money for the whiskey.

i bitched at the brewery back when i was a theist for doing that and the owner promised to take "society of friends" off his packaging. leaving it there would be like "Holy Roman Catholic Church's Textured Condoms . . . "

but the beer was actually okay, and these days i would mostly laugh about it. but i was way serious a while back.

if they would give us royalties for using the name and the image i might think better of it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on February 20, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
... "Holy Roman Catholic Church's Textured Condoms . . . "

:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kusa

Why do Quakers have funny looking facial hair?

billy rubin

not all of us do. traditional plain quakers shaved their faces. modern plain quakers look a lot like the amish.

the reason the amish did it was because at the time they split from the protetsans moustaches were ssociated with the military, along with things like fancy buttons on their coats. but beards were biblical. so the compromise was to have a beard but not a moustache. or buttons on your coats or on women's dresses. all the old order amish women i know fasten their dresses with streaight pins. and use hooks and eyes on the coats.

the plain witness in dress is a religious uniform, which both allows people with similar beliefs to recognize each other, and aslo to help keep people out of troube by being visible. my family was plain for a number of years. im no longer a believer, so i no longer observe the standard

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."