News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Box update.

I do not like countersunk screws except where they are countersunk. So found some small brass pan head screws for visible hinges. They were silly expensive in reasonable quantities for what I will use!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Chessboard update.

I was thinking about how I was going to sand and square up the 64 tiles. Really like these little toggle clamp beasties. So mounted a pair on aboard

This gadget holds a whole sheet of 'sand' paper down firmly and give a vertical surface to hold the blocks against.

So I true up the tiles and glue them into sticks of 4. One edge is created o a straight edge which minimises the sanding required. And as these are all playing face down that face is also virtually flat and needs little sanding.

16 completed sticks. Truing up the long edges

Not all sticks trued up yet but looking reasonably ok.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2020, 05:33:43 PM
Box update.

I do not like countersunk screws except where they are countersunk. So found some small brass pan head screws for visible hinges. They were silly expensive in reasonable quantities for what I will use!

Good choice on the screw heads. I think they look better.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Wow, cool! The only experiences that I have with workshop stuff is building up Ikea furniture  ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dark Lightning

Nice! The round heads look much better on the hinges. The flat heads would need a thicker hinge leaf so that the head would be flush with the surface. And yes, brass hardware is stupid expensive.

That chess board is coming along nicely!

Fixed some spelling.

Randy

Please keep us posted on the chess board (and pieces if you can make them). My brother works with wood a lot, or used to. He's never made anything like this. About the only things I can glue together are my fingers.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on July 11, 2020, 12:17:30 AM
Please keep us posted on the chess board (and pieces if you can make them). My brother works with wood a lot, or used to. He's never made anything like this. About the only things I can glue together are my fingers.

I will be posting progress :)

I'm in two minds about the chess pieces as I don't have a lathe, although Hermes posted a brilliant DIY video 'make your own mini lathe'. Although I might look at created some pieces that are 'Cubist' in nature :D

Tank

Chessboard update :)

Here are the 16 1x4 tile strips laid out and checked to see if they are true and shuffled to the least worst fit.

These were then fitted together into 4x4 quadrants which were then tweaked so each shared two perpendicular straight edges with their two adjoining quadrants. Two quadrants were then joined and then trued up and these two final assemblies were joined up

The final board fully assembled.

A couple of imperfections. But all in all I'm quite pleased. Next up is levelling the playing surface, truing up the edges and adding the surround.

billy rubin

imperfections?

your life standards are vastly elevated above mine.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Did you glue each piece separately? If so that must have been painstaking.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 11, 2020, 10:37:16 PM
imperfections?

your life standards are vastly elevated above mine.

I'm just a bit of a perfectionist arsehole  ;D ;D ;D

I suppose the point of a chess board is its regularity. And remember I made it to practice getting thing consistent and square and if you add 64 individual squares together the imperfections multiply so you can see the effects. The thing is the 64 tiles have to be virtually identical. The mistake I made was not keeping the circular saw fence in the same place while cutting the tiles. If I had done that they would have been much more consistent. So lessons learned :)

Tank

Quote from: Randy on July 12, 2020, 01:11:56 AM
Did you glue each piece separately? If so that must have been painstaking.

It is all glued together but it's not that painstaking as you make 16 strips of 4 tiles. Then 4 quadrants of 4 strips. Then 2 halves of 2 quadrants and then you glue those to finish the board.

Tank

Chessboard finished :)

One edge needed a bit of work so I used a flush cut saw to trim that.

Putting on the edging

Finished to 600 grit

First coat of linseed oil

Enough imperfections to be considered 'rustic'  ;D

Recusant

Still, it looks really nice. Excellent choices on the wood as well.  :bravo:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Bravo! I really like the way linseed oil pops the grain. You did well!