News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

You are one busy little beaver!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Not quite busy enough to keep up with everything. I just found out last night that one of our balers needs work done to have it back in service by Thursday. So my day off tomorrow is completely spoken for.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Splice a separate oil pressure gage into the circuit JJ.  If the pressure is actually as low as you mention, the engine ain't long for this world..........Rods, main, cam shaft, and maybe the oil pump itself is in danger of self destructing............But I think that you know all that.  Good luck with the project.  :thumbsup:

jumbojak

A separate gauge isn't really practical on this engine. The GM 6.0 sending unit is tucked behind the intake manifold with very little clearance for the wiring haness, much less adapter fittings and the sending unit cobbled on top. Best case scenario is that the unit is sending bad data to the ecu. Worst case is that there's a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Heck, I might even be able to get the truck cheap if that's the case. I can probably find an engine pretty cheap to throw in it if the original is too far gone for a rebuild. Once the power train is in working condition all's I'd have to do is replace the rockers and cab corners, do a quick paint job, bit of front end work, fab up a flatbed to replace the damaged pickup bed that's on it, service the ac system so it blows cold again, and give the interior a thorough cleaning. That'd make for a decent truck...

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

I bought a new set of manifold gauges and decided to check and see why the ac doesn't work in my car. I was hoping for a low pressure switch or something equally simple. Nope, there is a leak and no refrigerant is left in the system!

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on May 15, 2018, 12:45:42 AM
I bought a new set of manifold gauges and decided to check and see why the ac doesn't work in my car. I was hoping for a low pressure switch or something equally simple. Nope, there is a leak and no refrigerant is left in the system!

My Dad and I can never get those things refilled with freon. I don't know what it is. We do it all correctly but no matter what car we do it on it doesn't work. I almost wonder if we need to have the car running and the fans running to refill it. :chin:
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Quote from: Arturo on May 15, 2018, 03:18:20 AM

My Dad and I can never get those things refilled with freon. I don't know what it is. We do it all correctly but no matter what car we do it on it doesn't work. I almost wonder if we need to have the car running and the fans running to refill it. :chin:

It helps. Fill from the low side and the lower relative pressure with the compressor running helps pull the refrigerant in. Gauges help too, but it's best to fill a system with the chare removed completely so you don't overcharge the system and cause damage. I'm not a fan of the part store kits. Often it's not a lack of refrigerant that's causing the ac not to work.

Never, never never fill from the high side with the ac running.

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on May 15, 2018, 12:49:11 PM
Quote from: Arturo on May 15, 2018, 03:18:20 AM

It helps. Fill from the low side and the lower relative pressure with the compressor running helps pull the refrigerant in. Gauges help too, but it's best to fill a system with the chare removed completely so you don't overcharge the system and cause damage. I'm not a fan of the part store kits. Often it's not a lack of refrigerant that's causing the ac not to work.

Never, never never fill from the high side with the ac running.

Chare?

But yeah these happen with multiple vehicles that we have or have had. I always did my own work on my car and so has my father. Only one time we did not was when it was literally impossible to retime the engine and put the belt on ourselves. The guy also recharged the freon by request and we asked how he did it and we had the standard answer that he just puts the cap on the charger and pulls the trigger on the canister. I knew that was wrong so he could pull us back in for more money but still, that's what we were doing the whole time.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

I missed the 'g' in charge. The problem with the kit cans is that you really don't have any way to know how much refrigerant is already in the system. This can be a problem, especially when your ac is properly filled and something else - like a bad compressor clutch, compressor, or low pressure switch - is causing the warm air. You also don't know how much you are adding without breaking out a set of scales.

Manifold gauges are cheap and can give you direction to actually fix the problem instead of just dumping refrigerant in and hoping you get cold air.

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on May 16, 2018, 03:31:44 AM
I missed the 'g' in charge. The problem with the kit cans is that you really don't have any way to know how much refrigerant is already in the system. This can be a problem, especially when your ac is properly filled and something else - like a bad compressor clutch, compressor, or low pressure switch - is causing the warm air. You also don't know how much you are adding without breaking out a set of scales.

Manifold gauges are cheap and can give you direction to actually fix the problem instead of just dumping refrigerant in and hoping you get cold air.

I think the can he has has a gauge on it.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

A gauge, yes. But actually diagnosing the problem requires looking at pressure on both sides of the system. Plus, you still don't know what the total charge weight is. Too much refrigerant can damage an ac system.

People buy those can kits all the time thinking it's a magic solution to hot air. There's a lot more going on that needs to be accounted for than the amount of refrigerant in the system.

That's not to say the kits never work, of course. Their efficacy is limited to a specific situation though. If there's a clog in the system or anything else is wrong you can buy those kits all day and never get cold air. 

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on May 16, 2018, 05:39:56 AM
A gauge, yes. But actually diagnosing the problem requires looking at pressure on both sides of the system. Plus, you still don't know what the total charge weight is. Too much refrigerant can damage an ac system.

People buy those can kits all the time thinking it's a magic solution to hot air. There's a lot more going on that needs to be accounted for than the amount of refrigerant in the system.

That's not to say the kits never work, of course. Their efficacy is limited to a specific situation though. If there's a clog in the system or anything else is wrong you can buy those kits all day and never get cold air.

I'll relay the information to him then. See what he thinks. He might know something that he is not telling me.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Well yesterday started well enough. Front brakes for the Titan went on without a hitch. Went and looked at a few tractors, picked up some shop supplies, and had the opportunity to irritate the local Ford fanatic - I told him I was set to buy a new F150 but Ford stopped making them.

Then everything went to shit. We were all set to test the oil pressure in the big truck. Had the tester kit. Had the truck. Picked out the right adapter fitting. And we could not get that damn fitting into the hole. We fought for hours only to find out the fitting was the wrong size. Then the sending unit broke going back in. Then it rained... I was a grumpy bastards last night.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on May 18, 2018, 02:52:55 AM
Well yesterday started well enough. Front brakes for the Titan went on without a hitch. Went and looked at a few tractors, picked up some shop supplies, and had the opportunity to irritate the local Ford fanatic - I told him I was set to buy a new F150 but Ford stopped making them.

Then everything went to shit. We were all set to test the oil pressure in the big truck. Had the tester kit. Had the truck. Picked out the right adapter fitting. And we could not get that damn fitting into the hole. We fought for hours only to find out the fitting was the wrong size. Then the sending unit broke going back in. Then it rained... I was a grumpy bastards last night.

I always like reading your interesting posts. They somehow remind me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, a book you should enjoy if you haven't read it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 18, 2018, 05:17:57 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 18, 2018, 02:52:55 AM

I always like reading your interesting posts. They somehow remind me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, a book you should enjoy if you haven't read it.

Ahhh, Zen and motorcycles - I remember them well . . . We were still trying to hang on to the tatters of The Swinging Sixties after The Austere Fifties.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74