Should Creationists Be Allowed To Teach Science?

Started by Kyuuketsuki, November 10, 2008, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan

"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Asmodean

I've never had a creationist science teacher. And even if I did, (s)he would have to teach the same story as everyone else does. Thus, my answer is "Meh".
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Asmodean"I've never had a creationist science teacher. And even if I did, (s)he would have to teach the same story as everyone else does. Thus, my answer is "Meh".

Ah! You think that now ... but what indeed are the metaphysical and philosophical implications of "Meh!" I bet you hadn't thought of that had you?  :crazy:

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Titan"If a student asks? Yes.

Teach or discuss?

Kyu

Asmodean

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "Asmodean"I've never had a creationist science teacher. And even if I did, (s)he would have to teach the same story as everyone else does. Thus, my answer is "Meh".

Ah! You think that now ... but what indeed are the metaphysical and philosophical implications of "Meh!" I bet you hadn't thought of that had you?  :unsure: ) a teacher has to teach what the department of education says needs to be taught. Thus, if a teacher is evolutionist, creationist or North Korean, (s)he'd still have to teach evolution and only briefly mention creationsim (and that in Religion and Life Philosophy, not Science.)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Asmodean"In my metaphysical and philosophical reality (metaphysical reality... right...  :D

I was only being daft in my last reply BTW :)

Kyu

Titan

Kyu

QuoteTeach or discuss?
Discuss...but wouldn't the act of discussing it be teaching it as well? If the child has an honest inquiry the teacher shouldn't disregard him but I don't believe that the teacher should then spend the next weeks going into "creation science."
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Titan"
QuoteTeach or discuss?
Discuss...but wouldn't the act of discussing it be teaching it as well? If the child has an honest inquiry the teacher shouldn't disregard him but I don't believe that the teacher should then spend the next weeks going into "creation science."

Teaching yes, teaching it no.

Kyu

Titan

- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Sophus

I once knew a creationist science tecaher who tought Darwins theory exactly how it was suppose to be taught. He knew it was a part of his job; I don't have a problem with that.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Titan"Okay, then we are agreed.

Cool :)

Kyu