News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dreams

Started by Randy, May 20, 2020, 07:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on June 07, 2020, 08:05:08 PM

...But can you guys breathe underwater too? Hmm?  :smug:

No flying dreams, but definitely swimming way under the ocean waves at night with no breathing problems.  My absolute favorite dreams.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 07, 2020, 11:01:21 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 07, 2020, 08:05:08 PM

...But can you guys breathe underwater too? Hmm?  :smug:

No flying dreams, but definitely swimming way under the ocean waves at night with no breathing problems.  My absolute favorite dreams.
But you're a cat! Cat's don't like water except to drink although I heard they like root beer too but I can't verify that.

I don't think I've ever had any dreams about being underwater. Usually I'm flying or at least floating in the air. I used to be pretty good at lucid dreaming but not anymore. I don't know why that is. But when I could, I'd realize that I was dreaming and would fly, assuming I could get over the impossibility of it all.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Harmonie

Quote from: Randy on June 06, 2020, 11:23:30 PM
Has anyone ever flown under their own power in their dreams? It seems to be something that happens more often now in mine.

I have. The ability to fly in my dreams typically starts from a jumping motion and flying higher is propelled from my feet. It's weird how my dream self tries to rationalize it.

Anyway, last night's dream was a bit odd. I very commonly have dreams where I've missed a deadline in a college class. This one started out like that, but then got weird. I was in this classroom or something and was leaving, but it was really late, so it was dark outside and a bit creepy. Someone or something appeared and began chasing me around. Pretty sure the figure was a man, and he seems to have resembled a really bad man that was once in my life, but the dream didn't dwell on that detail.

Instead it turned a bit more supernatural feeling. Kind of like the jumping to fly motion I mentioned above, I was able to do something similar to jump over tall fences. I was in a neighborhood and so I was jumping over fences to peoples' yards to run away. Lol.

Considering it's physically impossible for me to run anymore, that's an interesting feeling in a dream.

Anyway, the figure was acting very supernatural itself, finding me everywhere I went, no matter how much it should not have been able to. The dream ended when I sheltered in a building that was library-like (but a room that didn't have books, like a conference room, hard to explain. I was not alone anymore, I was surrounded by people in this building, and they were aware of the figure and that it was dangerous, and were pushing tables and the like in front of doors and windows.

There was someone there I knew, but I've forgotten over the day who it was. Lol.

---

The most interesting dream I've had lately was a couple of nights or so ago, though. It was a time travel dream, where I went back into my own past, back around high school. I was separate from my teenage self.

I've never had a dream like that one before. It's something I've always envisioned - going to the past (usually my high school self) and warning her to take better care of herself. So it was very odd to get it played so straight in a dream.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Randy

I used to have time travel dreams a lot, usually in the distant past. One time I was a part of the resistance in WWII in France. I always seemed to have to help someone or a cause. That hasn't happened as of late.

I kind of understand about not being able to physically run anymore. I haven't tried as walking is sometimes strenuous enough. But in my dreams, oh I can run alright. I can jump too!
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on June 08, 2020, 12:39:26 AM
I used to be pretty good at lucid dreaming but not anymore. I don't know why that is.

I used to be able to do that too, back when I had a lot of nightmares.  I learned to turn them off or change them while still dreaming and eventually I stopped having nightmares, so no more lucid dreaming.
Sandy

billy rubin

carlos castaneda had don juan directing him in lucid dreaming.

look for your hands, he said.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

That sounds familiar and I don't know why.  :???:

billy rubin

lucid dreaming iz very hard to do, at least for me. becoming aware of yourself while in a dream state iz a weird experience

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: billy rubin on June 09, 2020, 05:20:12 PM
lucid dreaming iz very hard to do, at least for me. becoming aware of yourself while in a dream state iz a weird experience

I didn't even know what I was doing had a name until after I'd been doing it for a while -- it just happened automatically.  Sometimes I wish I were still doing it so I could change a boring dream, but lucid dreaming no longer appears to be part of my subconscious skill set.  But considering how rarely I remember dreams anyway, it's not a big deal.
Sandy

Recusant

Quote from: billy rubin on June 08, 2020, 09:06:14 PM

Too bad Castaneda's stories were just that and apparently little else. I read several of his books as a youngster, and though there are some things in them that I personally experienced, I think a large percentage of what he wrote is fantastical rubbish.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on June 09, 2020, 09:45:39 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on June 08, 2020, 09:06:14 PM

Too bad Castaneda's stories were just that and apparently little else. I read several of his books as a youngster, and though there are some things in them that I personally experienced, I think a large percentage of what he wrote is fantastical rubbish.

I agree. I went through the same process after friends nagged me to read some of his stuff, but even in my twenties it all sounded very pretentious to me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

apparently the only parts that werent rubbish were what he got from the university library. he had some disciples that came to strange ends, one disappearing into the desert.

there are still a few people who claim to teach his methods who will let you attend their workshops for a huge outlay of money.

Randy

For a short while there, a few months ago maybe - perhaps longer, I would realize I was in a dream and make use of it. It's not something I consciously did, it was just something I became aware of. It hasn't happened lately. I could have used it in last night's dream.

I dreamed that my son was my brother.  :o

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on June 10, 2020, 02:21:26 PM

I dreamed that my son was my brother.  :o

Odd.  Is there a resemblance, either physical or psychological?
Sandy