News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

I'm off to school

Good-oh, hey wait a minute, what's that?

That's my religious knife, can't be religious without my religious knife.

No, you can't take your religious knife to school any more.  A fourteen year old kid stabbed a 16 year old kid (who was no doubt just minding his own business) yesterday.  No more religious knives in schools.

Oh that's so discriminatory! I'm going.

Don't forget your sacred weed and pipe for little lunch.

ye, ye  ::)
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

I enjoyed the super blood moon, took some pics, probably rubbish.
I bottled 60ish 750ml bottles of stout for Aug 2022
Started the same amount of dark ale for May 2022

IT Crowd is decades ago but you can still be the office hero by suggesting to turn it off and on again.
Maybe it applies to relationships too?

Dark Lightning

I thought that the "Blood Moon" was going to be tonight. It was cloudy last night, so it looks like I missed out.

billy rubin

i didnt see it yrsterday but watched it set at sunrise this morning. i was surprised because where it set was where i have been assuming south for the last few dsys, parked alongside the river.

i always forget that the ohio river here around here flows south only on the average. lots of places it flows due west, and it tripped me up

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

HAF died so Asmo had to reboot from a 3 day old backup. Where have we seen that happen before?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

So, we've been resurrected?

After 3 days?

Does this entitle me to tax exemption?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on June 02, 2021, 08:42:32 AM
HAF died so Asmo had to reboot from a 3 day old backup. Where have we seen that happen before?

I wondered what happened.

billy rubin

as usual i am concerned about my children's literary education.

i have bought my introverted reclusive number two daughter a copy of pirsigs zen and the art of motorcycle mainentance.

the number two advenurous son gets peter freuchens book of the eskimos.

the number three thoughtful son gets peter freuchens book of the seven seas.

used hardbacks, all of them, ancient books.

if i'd had more money when they were younger i would have gotten them all wyetss illustrated bounty trilogy, stevensons david balfour and the earlier ones, and maybe cooper's mohicans. wyeth was magnificent

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

The Melting Pot.
:felix:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot

QuoteThe melting pot is a monocultural metaphor for a heterogeneous society becoming more homogeneous, the different elements "melting together" with a common culture; an alternative being a homogeneous society becoming more heterogeneous through the influx of foreign elements with different cultural backgrounds, possessing the potential to create disharmony within the previous culture. Historically, it is often used to describe the cultural integration of immigrants to the United States.[1]

QuoteIn the early 20th century, the meaning of the recently popularized concept of the melting pot was subject to ongoing debate which centered on the issue of immigration. The debate surrounding the concept of the melting pot centered on how immigration impacted American society and on how immigrants should be approached. The melting pot was equated with either the acculturation or the total assimilation of European immigrants, and the debate centered on the differences between these two ways of approaching immigration: "Was the idea to melt down the immigrants and then pour the resulting, formless liquid into the preexisting cultural and social molds modeled on Anglo-Protestants like Henry Ford and Woodrow Wilson, or was the idea instead that everyone, Mayflower descendants and Sicilians, Ashkenazi and Slovaks, would act chemically upon each other so that all would be changed, and a new compound would emerge?"[14]

QuoteThe newly popularized concept of the melting pot was frequently equated with "Americanization", meaning cultural assimilation, by many "old stock" Americans. In Henry Ford's Ford English School (established in 1914), the graduation ceremony for immigrant employees involved symbolically stepping off an immigrant ship and passing through the melting pot, entering at one end in costumes designating their nationality and emerging at the other end in identical suits and waving American flags.[25][26]

I'm more into a salad bowl idea.

QuoteThe "salad bowl" metaphor is a different view describing that immigrants who come to America combine their cultures with others, but still retain their own cultural identity.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Ultimately, America is supposed to be bound together by the ideas of liberty and equality, not cultural uniformity.  Hopefully, we can eventually live up to that ideal.  We are now more of a mixture than a compound.

billy rubin

my clutch is making noises that i dont understand

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on June 21, 2021, 08:57:45 PM

Maybe it's learning a new language.

billy rubin

shit it just took me 8 hours sitting next to the dancefloor to get a n empty box on my truck.

shut down for lightning all that time

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 21, 2021, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on June 21, 2021, 08:57:45 PM

Maybe it's learning a new language.

Maybe you're just clutching at straws.
Maybe somehow some straw got into Billy's transmission  :o :-\