News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

ai and autonomous weapons

Started by billy rubin, January 13, 2020, 10:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

take a look at ^^this.

the first thing i thought was, there's nothing in here that we don't already have. there's a distinct danger in using autonomous weapons to make kill/no kill decisions.

completely aside from warfare is the the doomsday scenarios of AI gone wrong. we're accustommed to dystopian futures of mechanical super-intelligences deciding that humans should be expendable-- everything from ellisons I have no mouth and i must scream, to terminator, to hyperion, and various other massive exchanges between a world of life and a world of intelligent but amoral AI.

but what if AI simply experiences a computer bug, o a virus that takes it outside of human control? imagine the simple weaponized drones in this short picture, with a flaw in the recognition softwre,, of any kind. no need for futiristisque naites-- we have them here, potentially, in amozon.com.

https://autonomousweapons.org/

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

The killer autonomous drone is probably already out of the bag. Even if a UN treaty on this gained support, were written and deposited with the UN Secretary General, then signed by a number of countries, that doesn't actually prevent the further development of such devices. 

ETA: Here is a link to an article that came up in one of their videos--

"What Makes China's 'Mini Aegis-Class Destroyer' Special? No Sailors." | The National Interest

QuoteChinese media claims that China has developed a twenty-ton robot boat that is a "mini Aegis-class destroyer," a bite-sized counterpart to the U.S. Navy's vaunted Arleigh Burke-class destroyers. The American ships are equipped with the Aegis Combat System, which includes powerful radars as well as ninety to ninety-six Vertical Launch System tubes that can fire Tomahawk cruise missiles and an array of anti-aircraft, anti-submarine, anti-surface ship and even anti-ballistic missile weapons. Closer in size to cruisers than traditional destroyers, the 500-foot-long, 10,000-ton Arleigh Burkes can perform a variety of missions from land attack to ballistic missile defense.

China's Mini-Me response is the JARI, developed by China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation and unveiled at a defense trade show in Abu Dhabi earlier this month. "The JARI unmanned surface vessel is equipped with a phased array radar, vertical-launched missiles and torpedoes despite its small size of 15 meters [49.2 feet] and low displacement of 20 tons," said China's state-owned Global Times, which cited an earlier Chinese state television report. "These weapons are usually only seen on frigates and destroyers with displacement of thousands of tons, and their use on a ship as small as the JARI makes the vessel the most integrated naval drone in the world."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

the aegis combat system was the one the united states used to mistakenly target the iranian airbus in 1989.

the radar displays used icons instead of images, and so th eoperator had no clues as to what he ws actully targeting.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."