The Parable of the Blind Men and an Elephant

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 21, 2019, 02:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on November 25, 2019, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 25, 2019, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 21, 2019, 02:25:12 PM
I like that parable.

It can also be used to explain why it sucks when people intentionally mislead others. Imagine if one guy was like, "it breaths fire and hates liberals."

Took me a minute to get what you're saying. At least, I think I got what you're saying. :P

The elephant symbolises Republicans, right?
I mean if one of the guys lies about what they perceive. When trying to rely on multiple views to understand complex issues, bad faith actors are the worst.

That's true.  :thumbsup:

And...they don't even have to lie. Not knowing what they're talking about is more than enough to mislead.

Like in the case of climate change deniers. Trump and his little bitch Bolsonaro ("president" of Brazil).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

seems to me that if the blind men had had proper training, all this woul;d not have been a  problm.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 26, 2019, 12:35:20 AM

seems to me that if the blind men had had proper training, all this woul;d not have been a  problm.

:lol: I would love to know what that yellow cow is thinking!

jumbojak

She's thinking, "That thing is going to take my man!"

That's what it's for...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 26, 2019, 01:38:59 AM

That's what it's for...

So it's basically an inflatable doll for bulls?  ;D

jumbojak

Perhaps. Most of the semen collectors I've seen were a bit sturdier. Sure beats manual extraction though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

one of the disreputes in a company i once worked for showed up one day with a horse condom.

huge and thick, like a truck inner tube.

he waved it around everywhere attempting to get a reaction from everybody

until kathy volunteered a response that shut him down.

she said

paul, if you can fill that, you can use it on me !

true story.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 26, 2019, 01:47:03 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 26, 2019, 01:38:59 AM

That's what it's for...

So it's basically an inflatable doll for bulls?  ;D

I don't think so. Given the screen I think it is more likely a training aid for veterinarian students.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Yep, Tank, I think you've got the right end of the . . . well anyway, you're correct.

"Haptic Cow" | Royal Veterinary College

QuoteThe Haptic Cow is the most famous veterinary virtual reality simulator, it was created by Professor Sarah Baillie and utilises haptic technology.

[. . .]

Teaching procedures and tasks that are internal and unsighted is particularly difficult, for example, when performing bovine fertility examinations the vet's hand is inside the cow and out of sight, so how can the student copy? In turn, the vet can't see what the student is doing or know what he or she is touching, so providing effective guidance is difficult. Students also need to learn to use the right amount of pressure when feeling structures – enough but not too much. However, it is difficult to know, or for a clinician to describe, how much pressure is being used. We are using haptic simulators to help us address these teaching challenges.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

No one

Too bad they never forget, this unwelcome fondling must have been an unbearable burden.

Tank

Quote from: No one on November 27, 2019, 01:14:16 AM
Too bad they never forget, this unwelcome fondling must have been an unbearable burden.

Nobody ever considers the elephant!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 27, 2019, 08:37:14 AM
Quote from: No one on November 27, 2019, 01:14:16 AM

Nobody ever considers the elephant!

Indeed, no one does.

(Sorry I just couldn't stop myself :P )