News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

words that dont have a rhyme

Started by billy rubin, November 24, 2022, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i had one the other day and firgot it

todays word is

pilot

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

yes

i cant for the life of remember thst other one.

id always thought that non-rhymable words were rare in english.

but they appear not to be.

foreign

torrent

unique word assembly in english is more common than id thought

Dark Lightning

silver
purple

orange rhymes with door hinge  :D

billy rubin

silver  and purple are excellent additions

billy rubin

Asmodean

If it is perfect rhyme you seek, then some singular long words (as opposed to combinatory words, put together from several shorter words) have none.

Onomatopoeia springs to mind, though I could work it into a rhyme imperfectly.

That brings us to the point; there are kinds of rhyme, other than perfect. For instance, you could rhyme pilot with violet without it getting too far into the oblique territory.

Flange perfectly rhymes with mange.
Purple can off the top of my head partially rhyme with hurtle or turtle. Silver with solver or pilfer. I think there may even be a perfect rhyme there somewhere. Torrent I think I may have used in a partial rhyme - then with abhorrent.

...Etc.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The Asmo may or may not have scrolled about half-way down that picture, then stopped scrolling.

He shall neither confirm nor deny allegedly having done that if asked though. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Quote from: Asmodean on November 25, 2022, 07:19:14 AMFlange perfectly rhymes with mange.

i hadnt thought of abhorrent. that s a perfect rhyme with torrent, same syllabic stress

in american, flange and mange dont rhyme. mange is sponenen with a long a, as in danger. flange is a short a as in antiaircraft

antiaircraft has a short a and a short e, buut tbe e is spelled as the second a. a weird language

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on November 25, 2022, 12:50:01 PMin american, flange and mange dont rhyme. mange is sponenen with a long a, as in danger. flange is a short a as in antiaircraft
Of course there will be some dialectic differences, but then, one does can take some artistic liberties when it comes to mixing and matching. Like, if schedule does not fit in as [skedjul] but does as [shedjul], just go with the latter. Similarly, this goes for [meindz] vs [mændz].

(Do forgive some unorthodox phonetic spelling - can't be bothered to look up the unicode for them weird phonetic letters)

[EDIT]
Foreign Lauraine. Yeah... The Asmo can see His poetic way clear to do that.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Asmodean

Mhm.

:shifty:

What was The Asmo talking about? Ah, yes! Spectacular bosoms - that is... Oranges. Marvellous oranges what rhyme perfectly with each other - which is to say... Porridge? Not a perfect rhyme, but that could potentially work, no?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.