Happy Atheist Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Current Events / Re: Legalize It
« Last post by No one on Today at 12:48:11 AM »
Drugs are bad.
Anyone who has any, please contact me immediately.
Only I, and I alone, can assure their, .....um.....proper disposal. Yes, yes, that's it, their proper disposal.
Philosophy / Re: art and design
« Last post by Bad Penny II on Today at 12:45:06 AM »
Art has to move you and design does not, unless it’s a good design for a bus.

- David Hockney

hermes, you posted ^^^this, and it's been a qu7estion i have wondered at for many years.

what is art, and how does it differ from design? especially bad art and good design?

for example, this is almost meaningless to me:

Geez Billy, you don't get it?
But it's like the guy painted it just for you...

"Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive"
« Last post by billy rubin on May 05, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »
i guess im looking for a more fundamental defintion. maybe youre right though, thatthere iusn't one.

its like music. i m not sure i know what "music" is.

perhaps desaiogn is purposeful creation, and art is design intended to evoke emotion, like hermes said
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on May 05, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
Like beauty, art is in the eye of the beholder.  It you think it's art, it is. If a whole bunch of people think it's art, then it becomes famous and valuable.  If only a few think it's art, you'll probably never see it.  It's a matter of taste, like music, wine and women (or men).   The only thing that matters is whether or not you like it, or whether it gives you pleasure or insight or some other feeling.

Design implies purpose and function. Something can be both art and design, or one or the other. If it has any intended function, it's design, but it could also be art.
Philosophy / art and design
« Last post by billy rubin on May 05, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »
Art has to move you and design does not, unless it’s a good design for a bus.

- David Hockney

hermes, you posted ^^^this, and it's been a qu7estion i have wondered at for many years.

what is art, and how does it differ from design? especially bad art and good design?

for example, this is almost meaningless to me:

and this is not:

this is art, to me:

and this is design:

there's all sorts of crossover in art and design, because lots of designers are artists, and lots of artists are also designers.

but what is it that makes something art?

this is art, to me:

and this is design

there's all kinds of other examples. art is closely aligned with elegance, in my mind, and im not sure why. to me, seeing something designed in the most utterly simple way is a view into the essence of something, whether its a logical argument, a taxonomic key for identifying the skulls of american mammals, or a set of curving lines suggesting a human figure.

where does art become distinct from design? are they really distinct? can there be art without an audience?

sometimes desgn is intended to imitate art, by copying a few elements in or adding rococco that didn't need to be there. maybe then its still art, but it becomes bad art and bad design, in my mind
Current Events / Re: Legalize It
« Last post by Davin on May 05, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
Well that's very stupid. Force people growing to do testing and what? Throw out perfectly good weed if it's "too potent"? How are they going to monitor it? How are they going to enforce it?

It's either stupid or like a lot of other stupid laws, they will be mostly invoked only with certain kinds of people. You know, the not rich and not a big corporation kind of people.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by Bad Penny II on May 05, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
We are watching the Britannia TV series, you can be Brutus Green
Two guys have consumed some substance and are having a deep and meaningful discussion.
Grumble, grumble alright, I'll be the believer, do we get to have some substance?  No.

I’ve been in this legion a while now
Been all over Egypt, Trieste, Gaul, now here
On my travels I’ve noticed something

Oh ye, what’s that

All those places, everywhere you go the gods are different

Expand

I mean they have different names different numbers of arms, eyes heads, sometimes they’re elephants, sometimes nightingales, trees, virgins.  I’ve been thinking how can that be, how can the gods over here be different to the gods over there? 

You’ve lost me

We have gods for everything right?
Swords

Volcanus

Shields

Cerepus

Exactly, helmet, pillow, tinder box, soap
We have Pino, god of the boot, when I put my boot on I say a pray to Pino so all day long the boot stays on, the leather doesn’t fray, the buckle doesn’t snap

I do the same, every morning every night

Exactly, so we have Pino, god of the boot

All hail to him

The Egyptians, they didn’t know who Pino was, they didn’t even have a god or goddess of the boot, but they had boots, and the Celts have boots but I bet they don’t know who Pino is
And now this is my point, why is Pino only interested in our boots?

Boots are important, and we give thanks to Pino and our boots don’t fall apart,

Brutus

So we say a pray to him and he keeps our boots ship shape, I mean look at them, my boots look great, and they’re really comfy right now

You’re missing the point, the Egyptians have Horus, the god of war, a falcon headed man with a red and white crown, we have Mars.  Now all it would take for me to believe in Horus, to worship Horus rather than Mars is to be born in Egypt. I instantly think Mars is bollocks, and even if he isn’t bollocks he’s nowhere as powerful and amazing a Horus.
Don’t you see, everywhere we go it’s different

I think I know what you mean

Good, now if we think Horus is bollocks and they think Mars is bollocks, maybe both are bollocks, maybe it’s all bollocks, maybe my boot is just my boot and if it breaks it’s not because I’ve offended Pino, it’s just my boot broke and that’s all

Of course there’s Pino, there’s always been Pino

But what if there hasn’t

There’s always been Cerepus

But what if there hasn’t?

Stop now

Jupiter I slayed my best friend, I took a blade and severed his head from his body, send a thunderbolt and strike me dead, do it now for Brutus to behold

(some time spent looking upward fearfully)

Wo

Do you see?

I want you to stop talking
Stop talking, don’t say another word

We’re alone Brutus, we, are alone
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by billy rubin on May 05, 2021, 11:55:02 AM »
i thought originally there was just my boss the truck mechanic, who troubleshoots and fixes the truck. but he works away from the house two weeks at a time so i mostly work  with his wife, boss number two, who is also a truck mechanic and handles parts and logistics.  then while i was out the first week i found out that they were partnered with boss number three, a field supervisor for the same company, who i had never heard of, but who handles the business side and such. so all three of them divide the company up, and when i communicate with them i send everything to all three. it appears to work so far

if they get a total of three drivers we ll have a staggered rotation in which two drivers are in a truck of their own two on one off, and the third dtiver's two weeks is in each truck for one week while the other driver of that truck is on home time.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Randy on May 05, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
im home!

for a bit anyway.

my three bosses want me to take their new truck to our lease company to gey it ibspected, so i have tomorrow off. then ill take the new tractor and tgeir brand new driver to get him through orientation.

then my trucking company goes from three bosses and one driver, to three boss3s and two drivers.

all we need is another driver but they srem to be rare. because i are one, this seems odd tto me.
Why so many bosses?
Ask HAF / Re: HAF Cutlery
« Last post by Randy on May 05, 2021, 05:28:20 AM »
Thanks BP!

I think I might have a go at converting a regular spoon into one of those.
I've got a few pale bottles left, I'm consuming dark ale, it's autumn, not into the serious stout yet, but soon.

Next month is winter, so it'll be time to consume last years stout.
I bottled 2x23 litres of stout for next winter last week, 2 more next week and 2 more 2 weeks later, for next winter.

I wouldn't have let lazy mouse in.
I miss a good stout! I'd keep some in the entertainment room in the small refrigerator so when it was movie night, or game playing, I'd have some nice and chilled.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10