News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

consciousness

Started by billy rubin, May 10, 2022, 04:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

what is consciousness?

in my opinion its the main thing that separates life from non life, but i could be persuaded otherwise

im saying that because i believe consciousness exists on a continuum

i wpuld not be surprised at all to learn that rocks think, probably very slowly and in a simple manner. or stars.

but consciousness is something tbat science is really squirrely about. i dont hear a lot of confidence about understanding it.  what does it mean to be aware, or to be self aware?

i also think its tbe clinging to consciecness that spurs people to worry about an afterlife, in that they dont want to accept the possibility of oblivion. 

more people have been to berlin than i have

Icarus

Help me understand what your conception of, or meaning of, consciousness is. 

I stubbed my toe this afternoon and I am conscious of the pain that it has caused. Meanwhile those churchy people, across the street, might be conscious of the fact that my toe injury is a result of Gods will. 

I suspect that we humans are still pretty ignorant about how the world came to be, or why and how the birds and fish and bugs, and bright lights, or starry nights influence our consciousness.

Heady stuff really.

This probably belongs in the philosophy section. 

billy rubin

everything belongs in the philosophy section.

billy rubin

to be conscious id the state of being aware, not necessarilly self aware, but of recieving and processing stomuli. so a mouse smelling a lump of peanut butter has conscious ness. as does a brain in a vat that can do nothing but think.

but does a piece oflimestone  have conscuousness? it can dissolve in hydrochloric acid. is that enough to call it processing? if we are chemical creatures, wheres the line to drae?

the noisy churchy people are conscious of gods will, but that V is not exactly what i mean. but tbey have knowledge, so they have the ability to process data tho, so they would be conscious.

this runs into the same questions regarding whether something is alive or not. i dont think i know what jt means to be alive. most definitions are reverse engineered, just taking something we wAnt to call livin g and then listing its characteristics

Icarus

I am truly appreciative of the opportunity to be exposed to deep thinkers who have the ability to express their thoughts. There are far too few of you out there. We have more than a few on this forum who qualify.

I am desperately trying to hang on to my sensibilities. Age is taking its' toll and I am aware of that reality. It is helpful to associate with others, like HAF people, who are, I believe, a cut above the ordinary.   

billy rubin

I aRE Not A DEep tHiNKer

i just sit all day and have nothing else to do

age has messed with.my short term memory too, especially with labels. like names of things. its a constant struggle

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on May 11, 2022, 05:12:06 AMHelp me understand what your conception of, or meaning of, consciousness is. 

I stubbed my toe this afternoon and I am conscious of the pain that it has caused. Meanwhile those churchy people, across the street, might be conscious of the fact that my toe injury is a result of Gods will. 

I suspect that we humans are still pretty ignorant about how the world came to be, or why and how the birds and fish and bugs, and bright lights, or starry nights influence our consciousness.

Heady stuff really.

This probably belongs in the philosophy section. 

I agree with your perspicacious assessment, Icarus. Following your wise guidance allowed me to test out a basic function (moving a topic) with the updated forum software: All good. Thanks  :thumb:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

its all one conversatoon, in the end