News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on May 14, 2022, 10:13:10 AMwe re already there.

The Asmo wanders off to watch Him some Futurama, because everyone needs some Bender in their life, occasionally.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

system is slow to upload. i gurss our satellites are asleep.

top of the refrigerator has persimmons, aloe vera, bay elder, a fig tree, and used to have paw paws but my wife took them outside. the trees we wi;ll transplant. we al;so have beds otside with lots of greens- kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, basil, mints and so n. but the net is too slow to load pictures today.

ill catch up.

theres a shelf inside we have carnivorous plants on, usually some flytaps and pitcher plants. and in the downstairs bathroom we have some odd stuff like an orchid and some sort of very long grass.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i eat a lot of garlic and we have some that iscsprouting so ill plant that

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 15, 2022, 03:33:33 PMsystem is slow to upload. I gurss our satellites are asleep.

top of the refrigerator has persimmons, aloe vera, bay elder, and a fig tree, and used to have paw paws but my wife took them outside. the trees we wi;ll transplant. we al;so have beds otside with lots of greens- kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, basil, mints and so n. but the net is too slow to load pictures today.

ill catch up.

There's a shelf inside we have carnivorous plants on, usually some flytaps and pitcher plants. and in the downstairs bathroom we have some odd stuff like an orchid and some sort of very long grass.

Nice.

Question:
When I grow certain plants indoors, tiny mosquitos looking bugs come in and fly around. How do you get rid of them?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

billy rubin

maybe its a particular plant thsy is attravtibe. ordinary flypaper is what i use for insects that become annoying.

but my house is always full of insects anywsy. wasps, bees, gnats, flies,

we get birds flying in and out and bats too sometimes

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on May 15, 2022, 08:54:23 PMQuestion:
When I grow certain plants indoors, tiny mosquitos looking bugs come in and fly around. How do you get rid of them?
When The Asmo happens to forget food scraps in the car, it tends to get infested with fruit flies and such. He... Uses bug spray and a vacuum cleaner. Grumpily, because unintended labour.

...As fortune would have it, my cactus does not seem to produce any annoying insects. It just... Sits there. All sharp and spikey.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

we get mud daubers all ovrr the house in tbe summer

wonderful creatures. they all build different kinds of mud nests and suff em full of paralyzed caterpillars and spiders for the babies

some build single tubes, others do little apartment complexes. one species builds perfect little amphorae

ee have no window screens so we also get bees, hummi gbirds, wrens, starlings, whatever is curious about the house.

outside we have statlings nesting in the eaves and generally a family of sparrow hawks ocvupies the same spot every year

Asmodean

I even have one of them electrified badminton-racket-looking things. Purely for self-defence purposes, you see.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on May 16, 2022, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 15, 2022, 08:54:23 PMQuestion:
When The Asmo happens to forget food scraps in the car, it tends to get infested with fruit flies and such. He... Uses bug spray and a vacuum cleaner. Grumpily, because unintended labour.

...As fortune would have it, my cactus does not seem to produce any annoying insects.
Good to know.

Quote from: Asmodean on May 16, 2022, 07:16:25 AMIt just... Sits there.
I can imagine.

Quote from: Asmodean on May 16, 2022, 07:16:25 AMAll sharp and spikey.
All sharp and spikey.
Got it.

My plants bring Fungus gnats. Tiny black flies that you see buzzing around your indoor plants.

I think moisture might attract them. Your cactus is dry and that's why it doesn't attract any bugs.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Have any of you kept carnivorous plants? I would like to have one, but I never see any flies or any other insects in my place, so feeding it will be a problem.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Today I made the decision to remove five queen palms in my front yard. The tree guy made them go away in half a day. They had been in place for about twenty years and had grown very tall, 35 feet or more. My front yard has a whole new look now,

The palms were pretty, but they had become rather expensive to maintain. Cost $200 about three times a year to trim dead fronds and remove the huge seed pods. If the seed pods were left to ripen, the berries or nuts or whatever, they would drop to the ground, decay, and smell bad.

Now I have to reimagine the landscape features of the front yard in order to placate my dear neighbors.

I hope that I do not regret the decision to remove the palms and also one of the pittosporums'.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 17, 2022, 04:19:20 AMHave any of you kept carnivorous plants? I would like to have one, but I never see any flies or any other insects in my place, so feeding it will be a problem.

all tbe time.

flytraps, sundews, and pitcherplants.

only pitcher plants atm.  tne flytraps bloomed and died back.

we have less luck with the sundews

give em a shot. they have attractants that bring the insects in

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 17, 2022, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 17, 2022, 04:19:20 AMHave any of you kept carnivorous plants? I would like to have one, but I never see any flies or any other insects in my place, so feeding it will be a problem.

all tbe time.

flytraps, sundews, and pitcherplants.

only pitcher plants atm.  tne flytraps bloomed and died back.

we have less luck with the sundews

give em a shot. they have attractants that bring the insects in

OK, I will see whether I can find any at the nurseries around here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames