News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

vi is great if you're a programmer or systems admin of some type. I don't think I'd ever try to teach vi to anyone else in lieu of something easier, like emacs or Textpad.
Speaking of which, textpad. Technically, it's not free, but you can download it for free and use it as long as you want before deciding whether to pay for it. Great editor.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

DeterminedJuliet

Get Cold Turkey

It's a "productivity" program that lets you block yourself from distracting websites for as short as ten minutes and as long as a week (for the free version). It works computer wide, which I like, because I'm pretty sure chrome has a similar app, but I think it only works on the chrome browser. For those that are tech-savvy enough, I know there are ways you can block yourself manually, but it'd be a good little program for a lot of people. I've found it handy, especially when I have due dates coming up and I'm feeling extra procrastinatey :P  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 08, 2012, 12:33:18 AM
For those that are tech-savvy enough, I know there are ways you can block yourself manually
For those who are that tech-savvy, what good is a block? To keep me, for instance, form distracting sites, one can either bust my access or take the site in question down. DNS blocks and the like won't work either - I'll just IP-call it directly.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on June 08, 2012, 10:05:56 AM
For those that are tech-savvy enough, I know there are ways you can block yourself manually
For those who are that tech-savvy, what good is a block? To keep me, for instance, form distracting sites, one can either bust my access or take the site in question down. DNS blocks and the like won't work either - I'll just IP-call it directly.

You could slow yourself down a bit, instead of zombie-clicking on Facebook every 10 seconds like I usually do. But you're right, for the most part you are burdened with too much know-how :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Malakoot

I am new to making videos but it interests me a lot... does anyone have a good program for that? Other than movie-maker of course..

Asmodean

Depends on what you want.

Are you looking for an editor? Ripper? Converter? Dubber? All-in-one package? Do you want it expensive and cheerful or free and miserable?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Get Cold Turkey

It's a "productivity" program that lets you block yourself from distracting websites for as short as ten minutes and as long as a week (for the free version). It works computer wide, which I like, because I'm pretty sure chrome has a similar app, but I think it only works on the chrome browser. For those that are tech-savvy enough, I know there are ways you can block yourself manually, but it'd be a good little program for a lot of people. I've found it handy, especially when I have due dates coming up and I'm feeling extra procrastinatey :P 

Thanks for that - my self discipline is in shambles. The distractions are just too luring.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2012, 02:30:55 AM
Get Cold Turkey

Thanks for that - my self discipline is in shambles. The distractions are just too luring.

Haha, I've already used the program once tonight! I'll probably have to set it again because this project doesn't seem to be finishing itself.  :P

Non Quixote

I apologize in advance if someone mentioned these two and I missed it.

http://www.converterlite.com/ is a nice piece of free conversion software that is nimble, very easy to use and works well on just about any format.

I like using http://calibre-ebook.com/ to manage my ebook library.  Really love that there is an app that allows me to access the library through my wireless so that I can choose a book from my library without having to get up and physically connect my Nook to my PC.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Bad Penny II

I'm in a relationship with FastStone Image Viewer, I used to be with ACDsee.
It works how I want an image viewer to 'cept you can't open multiple instances.

Free Video Editor 1.4.12 build 616

before that it didn't always work, after they wanted dollars, the capitalist swine.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Kekerusey

There's an awful lot of good free and open source software out there, the ones I mainly use are:

• Notepad++
  • Firefox
  • VLC
  • Inkscape
  • Paint.net
  • WinRAR
  • Python (and PythonWin)
  • Acrobat 8 Professional
  • Dropbox (not sure if that counts)
  • Autohotkey
  • Audiograbber
  • CDBurnerXP
  • Virtual Clone Drive
  • Spybot
  • WinAmp

At work (when I was at work) I used Keynote NF to keep track of my projects.

I also use a few free games such as Chuckie Egg and some Hi-Res versions of old games like Doom and Heretic but I'm not much of a gamer (I use my xBox 360 primarily for watching videos on Amazon and Netflix).

I do pay for a few bits of software:

* MS Office
* Scrivener
* Scapple
* Tag & Rename
* Goldwave

That's about it.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Tom62

Best freeware SQL client tool that I know of is sQuirrel.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

OldGit

My new laptop didn't have MS Office and I was going to have to pay.  I have never paid for software and never intend to, so I'm using Libre Office  This fits all my simple needs and seems excellent to me.

joeactor

Quote from: OldGit on September 02, 2016, 09:19:26 AM
My new laptop didn't have MS Office and I was going to have to pay.  I have never paid for software and never intend to, so I'm using Libre Office  This fits all my simple needs and seems excellent to me.

I used Open Office and Thunderbird (email) for a while. Both are pretty solid as well.

Davin

Quote from: joeactor on September 02, 2016, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: OldGit on September 02, 2016, 09:19:26 AM

I used Open Office and Thunderbird (email) for a while. Both are pretty solid as well.
I like Open Office, but now I tend to use google docs a lot since I like easy access to all my things on different devices (phone, work laptop, personal laptop, drawing tablet, regular tablet, home desktop, home farming computers... etc.). Plus gdocs makes it easy to share with others for collaboration.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.