News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Spate of signature spammers.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2010, 08:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have noticed that we have had a recent spate on new 'members' with names something like stupid1980. They don't post but put a link to some sort of service in their signature. One could limit sigs to users who have posted at least once and that may cure the issue? Then again maybe not as they'd still have to register to find out that they can't add a link in their sig  :hmm:

Sorry it's just the latent Janitor coming out in me.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

McQ

That's a good idea. I don't know how to apply that particular set of permissions, but maybe Whitney does.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: "McQ"That's a good idea. I don't know how to apply that particular set of permissions, but maybe Whitney does.
There is a button for everything in the ACP  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"That's a good idea. I don't know how to apply that particular set of permissions, but maybe Whitney does.

The only way I could do it is if we started manually moving people over to full member status after they have proved they aren't spammers....

There might be a mod that can be applied to the forum that will allow more control over usergroup settings but I don't have time to install anything right now.

What I have been doing is going through the member list once or twice a year and removing junk accounts and deactivating  people who haven't posted in over a year (so I can easily send them reminders to come back).

Tank