News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

While Studebaker at least used Imperial fasteners, my neighbor used to have to take the serial number for his truck into the parts store, because rolling changes were made, going down the assembly line.

billy rubin

that wont even help for sure with british stuff. sometimes triumph changed the size or shape of a bushinh or seal and KeEPT THE SAME PART NUMBER for multiple years across the change

they issued parts books updates for some of them but the looseleaf sheetz havent survived

plus the books were expensive to update and redraw, zo sometimes the old part is illustrated with a new number for a new year

gah. you have to have it in your head

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

having ranted enough, i will point out that studebakers were among the prettiest vehicles in some lines. i loved their pickups.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Some of the Hawks were pretty cool, and I always like the boxy lines of the Avanti. But those "mouse nose" things in the early '50s were butt ugly, imo.

billy rubin

they were definitely a acquired taste, i believe. but weird fifties stuff is in a class of its own.

i owned a hudson stepdown once. put a small block chevy in it. sold it when i moved east as just too much to own, but i'd lik eanother

difficult to put a V8 into because the steering used a bell crank in the middle and two long tie rods, but if you could get the oil pan situated there was still plenty of room under the hood.

Dark Lightning

My take on Hudsons is that they are so ugly they have class. Maybe one of the newer V6 engines with all the electronic controls would fit better.

Icarus

I once ( 19/53) bought a vintage Hudson Town car of about 1935 vintage.  It was an elegant automobile with such stuff as heated shock absorbers to comply with the cold season Of  the Connecticut cold weather,  where I lived.  It was a   machine that had a cork clutch which I had to replace. Otherwise it was reliable and a pleasure to drive, not fast but comfortably.  At that time I did not appreciate its' unique and advanced engineering.  If I still had it in its original glory, Jay Leno would probably pay a hundred times its' original selling price.

I also once had a Willys pick up truck that was a sweetheart little vehicle, all of its' tiny four cylinder engine was pristine.  I wish that I had that one today as well.  That was about 1949.

hermes2015

I thought of you guys when I saw this sculpture.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

The person who did that sculpture was admirably imaginative, skillful,.......and perhaps a bit emotionally disturbed.  I like it none the less.  Crescent wrenches are cool and roller chain hair is appropriate for the theme. 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 30, 2021, 03:43:32 AM

That is fucking cool! It puts my propane tank pig to shame, though. I need to weld on a new face. I used a piece of plywood, which deteriorated over the years.  :-[

I actually threw out a large (2 cubic feet) box of steel parts a few years ago when I realized that making things from them would take too much time from what I am already doing. I regret that now, because I've had a need for some of those things and now have to go buy them as new, which is money spent, as opposed to free. One only has so much room, though.

billy rubin

i am not entirely sure what to think of this

xSilverPhinx

A Sphinx!

Reminds me of this scene from the movie The Neverending Story (1984), which I would watch over and over again when I was a kid. :P What was I doing with my life? :tellmemore:

Does the sculpture also shoot bolts from its eyes? :sidesmile:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Nice double entendre! Lightning bolts or iron bolts?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Patrick Alo, the sculptor, titled it Sphinx. I love the way he executed the claws and the hair.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames