Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 08:18:30 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 08:12:35 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 07:43:05 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:02:50 AM
It's the first time I got to use my new Sony A68 body with my pre-digital Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro in good lighting conditions, bright but overcast.

Thanks. That made me think I should try the same with my 135mm f2 Nikon on a D600 body. That is still one of the sharpest 135mm lenses available, but it is not designed for macro use. Its closest focusing distance is about 1m, so it's great for portraits, but not for flowers.
Have you ever considered using an extension tube to bring the focus distance down?

No, but it is probably worth considering, seeing that the lens currently costs around $1400. Just wondering whether the extension tube will degrade the sharpness.
Not in my experience if extension tubes. You are not adding glass into the system, just altering the focal length in effect, using the central part of the existing glass - so even less distortion st the edges IIRC.
Loss of quality is very slight if there is any at all. You just need to keep the lens stopped down to its sweet spot and shutter speed up to reduce the effects of camera shake. That means the compromise on quality is more down to ISO noise than lens issues.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 08:33:40 AM
Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 08:18:30 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 08:12:35 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 07:43:05 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:02:50 AM
It's the first time I got to use my new Sony A68 body with my pre-digital Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro in good lighting conditions, bright but overcast.

Thanks. That made me think I should try the same with my 135mm f2 Nikon on a D600 body. That is still one of the sharpest 135mm lenses available, but it is not designed for macro use. Its closest focusing distance is about 1m, so it's great for portraits, but not for flowers.
Have you ever considered using an extension tube to bring the focus distance down?

No, but it is probably worth considering, seeing that the lens currently costs around $1400. Just wondering whether the extension tube will degrade the sharpness.
Not in my experience if extension tubes. You are not adding glass into the system, just altering the focal length in effect, using the central part of the existing glass - so even less distortion st the edges IIRC.
Loss of quality is very slight if there is any at all. You just need to keep the lens stopped down to its sweet spot and shutter speed up to reduce the effects of camera shake. That means the compromise on quality is more down to ISO noise than lens issues.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I will look into it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Some more at Newby Hall 1st October 2017.

These were all taken with my Fujifilm X30 which has a cracking 28-112mm f2.0-2.8 zoom lens.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 01, 2017, 07:55:40 PM
I love these, esp. the one with all the dew (rain?).
Rain on a cobweb.

That is too cool, I thought at first it was a glass pane or something, awesome. (I'm saving that one ;D)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dragonia

I kind of forgot about this thread, but have re-discovered it, and you guys are good photographers! I am loving your pictures!
(Tank, the honeybee picture pulled at my heart) but they're all amazing.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

A selection of photos taken over the last week in and around the grounds of Temple Newsam house near where I live. A heron has taken to visiting the lakes there.

Tank

Tank

Tank

Tank

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74