News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on September 17, 2017, 09:28:03 AM
Father Bruno I love those those photos!

Thanks Tank, coming from you your compliment means a lot to me....your pictures are superb, I love the closeup of the lizard's head. Awesome.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Excellent pics all round there chaps!

Nearest I got to nature photography was last Wednesday, along the side of Tescos. Big fat cricket. I was on crutches, could not get down to it and only had my phone.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Dave

Been trying to identify it, closest is a female dark bush cricket but ovipositor looks wrong and too dark going by sample pictures.

Dave

Just a walk down my street (and the brook behind the houses)

Form some reason I cannot get the descriptions in the right place, well, I can in the edit screen but . . .

So here they are:
The prettiest house front in the street.
What happens to some of that plastic that cannot make new bottles or packaging.
Some interesting flow patterns in the plastuc of the bridge bits,
The dog walking path (if you dare, the brambles are vicious!) on the other side of the brook.
The first bit of autumn colour.
A huge garden spider, biggest that I have seen in decades, easily 20mm from top to bottom.
The brook.
A cautiously friendly cat, but glossily handsome and very vocal.

Just an ordinary street round here. I did miss one picture - the bottom end of the dead end street is the "rough" end, lots of rented properties with a high rate of tenant change, mostly on benefits of some kind. There I found the burned out van and small truck. May gave been a fault or something but we have had petrol bombs thrown at cars down that end and it attracts about 90% of the emergency service visits to the road, especially the police. But there was this bloke, having a smoke, whose gruff reply and stare to my "Morning" did not seem all that friendly . . .

As I took the slightly fuzzy shot of the spider (it was breezy and I only had my little camera, could not get a fast speed up in that mode) a chap came out if the nearest house to see what I was up to. When I explained he was more friendly and we discussed the spider and the fact that the bush was just coming into bloom (!?). Nice, chap, lovely jewelled earstuds . . . :)

[Why did I not take a picture of the flower buds on the bush  :headscratch: ]

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on September 17, 2017, 06:07:07 PM
Newby Hall Sep 17

Tank, those are gorgeous photos. Would you mind telling me what kind of lens you used?

I am almost embarrassed to show two pics I took in Rwanda last week. My excuse is that I took them with my cell phone, not my DSRL.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2017, 02:50:44 PM
Just a walk down my street (and the brook behind the houses)

Dave, I like that beautiful texture. It's the kind of "micro landscape" I like.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 05:28:20 AM

Tank, those are gorgeous photos. Would you mind telling me what kind of lens you used?

It's the first time I got to use my new Sony A68 body with my pre-digital Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro in good lighting conditions, bright but overcast. I used it in aperture priority at f5.6 which is its resolution sweet spot. I left the shutter speed and ISO free for the body to work out the best combination. These images have all been cropped and reduced from 6,000 x 4,000 resolution to 1,200 x 800. They also have a slight unsharp mask to compensate for the size reduction and to improve appearance on a screen.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 05:28:20 AM

I am almost embarrassed to show two pics I took in Rwanda last week. My excuse is that I took them with my cell phone, not my DSRL.

These are lovely. I am constantly amazed at how good phone cameras are in macro work!

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:02:50 AM
It's the first time I got to use my new Sony A68 body with my pre-digital Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro in good lighting conditions, bright but overcast.

Thanks. That made me think I should try the same with my 135mm f2 Nikon on a D600 body. That is still one of the sharpest 135mm lenses available, but it is not designed for macro use. Its closest focusing distance is about 1m, so it's great for portraits, but not for flowers.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 07:43:05 AM
It's the first time I got to use my new Sony A68 body with my pre-digital Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro in good lighting conditions, bright but overcast.

Thanks. That made me think I should try the same with my 135mm f2 Nikon on a D600 body. That is still one of the sharpest 135mm lenses available, but it is not designed for macro use. Its closest focusing distance is about 1m, so it's great for portraits, but not for flowers.
Have you ever considered using an extension tube to bring the focus distance down?

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM

Have you ever considered using an extension tube to bring the focus distance down?

No, but it is probably worth considering, seeing that the lens currently costs around $1400. Just wondering whether the extension tube will degrade the sharpness.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 08:12:35 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM

No, but it is probably worth considering, seeing that the lens currently costs around $1400. Just wondering whether the extension tube will degrade the sharpness.
Not in my experience of extension tubes. You are not adding glass into the system, just altering the focal length in effect, using the central part of the existing glass - so even less distortion st the edges IIRC.