News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

I found a small trick .
If you use one of those gradient filters, usualy used for sky, but rotate it so that the dark site is at the bottom, it helps with overexposed snow
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Waski_the_Squirrel

Quote from: Tank on February 02, 2016, 07:06:16 PM
How to photograph snow

Counter intuitively you have to over-expose pictures of snowfields.

Nice tips. I think they'll help me do better with snow pictures. I generally do manual exposure, so I tend to get the snow pictures right with trial and error. But, understanding snow will help me get the best from my camera. My favorite was the white balance tip. I have never gotten that quite right.

And, in North Dakota, snow should be part of my photographic repertoire.

Tank

Day out at Scarborough 12/3/2016. New camera Fujifilm X30 straight out of the camera, Velvia colour mode.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Went home to Andenes for the weekend to celebrate my Granny's 80th birthday. Snapped these shots down by the lighthouse. Pardon the quality, I only had a cell phone.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2016, 06:09:43 PM
^^^
Tank, Guardian85, those are nice!  :smilenod:

For once I agree with Maggie, those are nice pics guys...you both are making me want to travel.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 13, 2016, 07:09:00 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 13, 2016, 06:09:43 PM
^^^
Tank, Guardian85, those are nice!  :smilenod:

For once I agree with Maggie, those are nice pics guys...you both are making me want to travel.

Agree with both Mags and Bruno, even the feeling like traveling part!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny

My house was due for a white ant/termite treatment, they are quite hungry around here.  So to escape the stench I went south 200km to Port Stephens for a few days, it's about half way to Sydney.  There's not many large open bays like it. There's plenty of saltwater lakes but they tend to be a bit murky.  There were nice big tides, clear water, 30C temps, not a busy tourist time, almost perfect.

Guardian85

See, now you've gone and made me jealous.  >:(

Next thing you'll tell us is probably that you rented a jet ski and went exploring, right?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Bad Penny

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 15, 2016, 10:20:15 AM
See, now you've gone and made me jealous.  >:(

Next thing you'll tell us is probably that you rented a jet ski and went exploring, right?

Shit no, I hate those things.
We took sea kayaks, I prefer self propulsion and not killing everything in my path.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 15, 2016, 08:42:47 AM

So beautiful.  I don't suppose there are hidden sharks or tiny poisonous jellyfish to worry about?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 15, 2016, 10:49:50 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny on March 15, 2016, 08:42:47 AM

So beautiful.  I don't suppose there are hidden sharks or tiny poisonous jellyfish to worry about?

The area is a great white nursery, no body got eaten while I was there though.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2027804/great-white-shark-nursery-off-hunter-coast/
QuoteUP to 250 juvenile great white sharks are living off the Hunter coast and spending a lot of time around beaches in water depths of one to five metres, CSIRO research shows.

Tagged great whites have been tracked swimming along the coast from Lake Macquarie to Seal Rocks, maps show.

These sharks were ''abundant along a section of coastal waters in the Port Stephens region'' from about September to January each year, a CSIRO report said.

Sharks were residents ''specifically along three beaches''  – northern Stockton, Bennetts beach (Hawks Nest) and Mungo Brush, north and south of the Port Stephens estuary.

Claireliontamer

Beautiful photos pudding bad penny.

I'm sat looking out of my window at the gloomy grey sky wondering how to get into sea kayaking.  I'm not sure it would be the same here though!

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 15, 2016, 01:03:11 PM

I'm sat looking out of my window at the gloomy grey sky wondering how to get into sea kayaking.  I'm not sure it would be the same here though!

Easy, go down to the coast and rent one.

If you want to do more you can join the nearest club and buy your own.
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Crow on March 15, 2016, 01:09:35 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 15, 2016, 01:03:11 PM

Easy, go down to the coast and rent one.

If you want to do more you can join the nearest club and buy your own.

I know I could......just not sure if it would be the same looking at grey sky and grey sea.  I do want to give it a go though, it looks like a good combination of activity and peace.