News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

200,000 dead.

Started by Tank, September 24, 2020, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

The US has just passed an unfortunate headstone with 200,000 names on it. And that's just the names we know.  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Entitlement and ignorance produce disastrous results. America is ripe with both. The mindless orange dictator encourages this disgraceful and embarrassing behavior.

Dark Lightning

It's a sad and disgusting situation. That number is expected to be close to double by January, from what I'm seeing.  :(

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 24, 2020, 12:57:58 PM
It's a sad and disgusting situation. That number is expected to be close to double by January, from what I'm seeing.  :(

Fukin' hell!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

it should have been 200,001.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

That's only one count. The CDC count is 201,411 at the moment, while Worldometer has 207,203. Both are very likely to be undercounts.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

A lot of people aren't going to the hospital when they have life-threatening conditions like heart trouble, simply because they're afraid of getting Covid. People are dying because they won't go to the hospital, I'd count them with the people actually dying from the disease. One of my neighbors (supports the chump, of course) says that the death toll is exaggerated because Covid is put on the death certificate if the decedent had it, even if they had previous confounding conditions. I asked, if they hadn't gotten Covid, they'd still be alive, right? I also wonder if he got that info from Breitbart or Alex Jones. It certainly smacks of a conspiracy theory.

Recusant

According to an analysis done by the failing New York Times, there are currently approximately 266,000 more deaths in the US than there were at this point in "a normal year." Some of those would be directly or proximately due to the bug, and others no doubt due to people ignoring symptoms of other ailments because they didn't want to go to a hospital.

I'll link to the story, even though the Times throws up a paywall if you view more than a few of their articles in a month.

"The Toll Since Coronavirus Struck: 266,000 More Deaths Than Normal" | The New York Times

QuoteThe official coronavirus death toll has passed 200,000, but an accounting of all lives that were lost in the United States since mid-March shows that the pandemic and its resulting disruption have caused substantially more deaths: at least 266,000 more people have died than would in a normal year, according to a New York Times analysis of estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our analysis examines deaths from all causes — not just confirmed cases of coronavirus — beginning when the virus took hold. That allows comparisons that don't depend on the availability of coronavirus tests in a given place or on the accuracy of cause-of-death reporting. What it shows is that some places have seen staggering death tolls, while nearly every state has seen death counts that are substantially higher than usual. The only states where death patterns look normal are Alaska and Hawaii.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on September 24, 2020, 11:01:10 PM
According to an analysis done by the failing New York Times, there are currently approximately 266,000 more deaths in the US than there were at this point in "a normal year." Some of those would be directly or proximately due to the bug, and others no doubt due to people ignoring symptoms of other ailments because they didn't want to go to a hospital.

I'll link to the story, even though the Times throws up a paywall if you view more than a few of their articles in a month.

"The Toll Since Coronavirus Struck: 266,000 More Deaths Than Normal" | The New York Times

QuoteThe official coronavirus death toll has passed 200,000, but an accounting of all lives that were lost in the United States since mid-March shows that the pandemic and its resulting disruption have caused substantially more deaths: at least 266,000 more people have died than would in a normal year, according to a New York Times analysis of estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our analysis examines deaths from all causes — not just confirmed cases of coronavirus — beginning when the virus took hold. That allows comparisons that don't depend on the availability of coronavirus tests in a given place or on the accuracy of cause-of-death reporting. What it shows is that some places have seen staggering death tolls, while nearly every state has seen death counts that are substantially higher than usual. The only states where death patterns look normal are Alaska and Hawaii.

[Continues . . .]

Thanks for quantifying that! :thumbsup: I was being lazy.

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 24, 2020, 09:38:02 PM
One of my neighbors (supports the chump, of course) says that the death toll is exaggerated because Covid is put on the death certificate if the decedent had it, even if they had previous confounding conditions. I asked, if they hadn't gotten Covid, they'd still be alive, right? I also wonder if he got that info from Breitbart or Alex Jones. It certainly smacks of a conspiracy theory.
I think most people who support chump simply listen to the rhetoric spouted by the before mentioned characters and others. I know two that do and they are close to me.

I'm not in any condition to debate anymore. Speaking is difficult for me and sometimes people cannot understand me. They'll usually walk away with "You have your opinion and I'll have mine." It's a cop out.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Ecurb Noselrub

This is the biggest crisis for this country since the Civil War.  November 3 is D-Day for this democracy.

Anne D.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 26, 2020, 01:39:54 AM
This is the biggest crisis for this country since the Civil War.  November 3 is D-Day for this democracy.

Yes, if the Cheetoh "wins" again, I think the US is done for.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 26, 2020, 01:39:54 AM

"November 3 is D-Day for US democracy." Added to Facebook Timeline.

No one

The colassal cocksnot in chief, is such a tremendous shitbag! I hate him more than I have ever hated anything.

Tank

Quote from: No one on September 26, 2020, 05:33:09 PM
The colassal cocksnot in chief, is such a tremendous shitbag! I hate him more than I have ever hated anything.

Given your propensity to 'hate' that is saying something :rofl: