News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I'm debating on if anyone would notice if I took a powernap at my desk.  :boring:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Biggus Dickus

Go for it Bud, none of us here will notice or let alone care if you do take one.  8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

when we first got married and my wife wasn't getting much sleep, she would prop her head up on her hands pointed at her computer screen and nap that way.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Buddy on January 10, 2020, 06:33:59 PM
I'm debating on if anyone would notice if I took a powernap at my desk.  :boring:

Or would they care if you framed it as "powernap"?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

The real question is whether anyone would notice if anyone did anything at all.  I suspect that whatever anyone does is, for the most part, irrelevant to everyone else.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 11, 2020, 01:58:22 AM
The real question is whether anyone would notice if anyone did anything at all.  I suspect that whatever anyone does is, for the most part, irrelevant to everyone else.

I didn't take you for a Nihilist!
:query:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 11, 2020, 03:34:27 AM

Nihilist rhymes with Realist.  40+ years in the work force tends to make one a bit cynical. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 11, 2020, 05:23:48 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 11, 2020, 03:34:27 AM

Nihilist rhymes with Realist.  40+ years in the work force tends to make one a bit cynical.

I agree 100%
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Buddy on January 10, 2020, 06:33:59 PM

If you do it right, you won't notice them noticing you anyway.  :sidesmile:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

this has been puzzling me all morning.

i've noticed that aluminum castings often have this cross-hatched pattern inside, both structural and cover castings.

why is it there? it's common on japanese stuff. less so elsewhere. ^^this is a chaincase cover for a fifty-year old BSA motorcycle. none of the triumphs i ever take apart have it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on January 14, 2020, 05:22:49 PM
this has been puzzling me all morning.

i've noticed that aluminum castings often have this cross-hatched pattern inside, both structural and cover castings.

why is it there? it's common on japanese stuff. less so elsewhere. ^^this is a chaincase cover for a fifty-year old BSA motorcycle. none of the triumphs i ever take apart have it.
Reinforcement.
Waffling - mimicking thicker material, without the thicker material. Used in construction for centuries.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

billy rubin

interesting that the british would use it here. they were not generally sophisticated about casting technology. or about anything, for that matter.

i have one motor with the foundry techn ician's initials appeaing inside the castings, raised, in reverse, where he scratched them into the sand before pouring the metal.

jumbojak

You can get the same strength using less material with reinforcement ribs.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

the reason i was curious was because they don't seem deep enough to actually apply significant strength. i was wondering as to whetherthey had something to do with holding the sand in place s th e metal cooled.

that was a 67-68. here's the same motor, by 1972:

they gave up on it, ap[parently.

they improved the oil drain as well. th eold ones use a cover screw with a recess in the cover casting to serve s a drain and another as a level plug. they always leak, and i have a huge puddle under my 1969 B44. by 1972 they still were drinin oil through a cover screw, but had a large boss with a small driullway to use as a level. the americans were on th emoon already, and BSA had not yet discovered drain plugs.

but here's a 67 primary cover. no cross-hatching, but plenty of strengthening ribs. same year.

what were they thinking?

Icarus

The Brits also used Kraft paper gaskets so as to guarantee that the new bike would leak oil onto the showroom floor.  Baking tins, under the bikes,  were standard fixtures on the showroom floor.  I think that the Luddites in Britain were still up to their mischief.  They used cork clutch linings too.  Smoothest clutch ever until you let it slip just s little bit which scorched the cork surfaces and made the bike useless because it would not engage with the burned cork bits.

Despite all that, most of the Brit bikes were better performers than our hallowed Harley and Indians of the day.  Then came the Japanese bikes and proceeded to  knock all our dicks into the dirt.

P.S. The new Triumphs do not leak oil.