News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on July 25, 2020, 05:12:49 AM
Quote from: Randy on July 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
I was a computer programmer / software engineer or whatever they call us now in my former life. Getting the [ominous music]black screen of death[/ominous music] was just as frustrating. I threatened to get a screwdriver and take it apart every time. Eventually it cooperated with me.

Those Windows screens of death used to be blue. On my Mac I've had the occasional spinning beachball. That is perhaps more elegant, but frustration as hell as well.

Is that spinning beachball meant to be a target for when you decide it's time to hit your screen with a bat?  ;)

My computer seems to be normal now. I shall have to sacrifice of the Asmo's minions to thank the FSM.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

So far, so good. I think I thought enough about beating some sense into my computer and it hasn't given me the [ominous music]black screen of death[/ominous music] since.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Another of my Nigerian friends is in a police station facing charges of blasphemy  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Do you know what he did to get that charge, Tank?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on August 07, 2020, 01:00:19 PM

It's a she and she is a vocal feminist who pissed off some local Muslims with her rape awareness posts  >:(

Angry with them not you.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Randy

Quote from: Tank on August 07, 2020, 01:38:02 PM

It's a she and she is a vocal feminist who pissed off some local Muslims with her rape awareness posts  >:(

Angry with them not you.
I understand. Is rape okay in the quran? I guess it is otherwise there wouldn't be a blaspheme law for it.  :shrug:
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on August 07, 2020, 08:24:38 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 07, 2020, 01:38:02 PM

Angry with them not you.
I understand. Is rape okay in the quran? I guess it is otherwise there wouldn't be a blaspheme law for it.  :shrug:

They just accused her of blasphemy to get her in trouble because she's a vocal feminist.

Icarus

Tank

Randy

Randy

Tomorrow I have a CT scan to check the lesion growth. It happens early in the morning and I have to prepare by getting 32oz of water in my system an hour and a half before the scan. It's going to be done with contrast.

Every time I get one I get nervous. It always can be the one that stops treatment and the doctor says there is nothing more that can be done. I'm very close to reaching that milestone now since if it is stopped, there isn't anything else to be done but make me as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, I'm nervous now and watching movies to get my mind off of it.

Edit: I won't know the results for another six days. :(

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on August 14, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
Tomorrow I have a CT scan to check the lesion growth. It happens early in the morning and I have to prepare by getting 32oz of water in my system an hour and a half before the scan. It's going to be done with contrast.

Every time I get one I get nervous. It always can be the one that stops treatment and the doctor says there is nothing more that can be done. I'm very close to reaching that milestone now since if it is stopped, there isn't anything else to be done but make me as comfortable as possible.

This is difficult to read, Randy. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to go through it.
:console:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Damn.That's pretty depressing. I have what I hope to hell is a cold, though I will admit that it is just as easy to catch Covid as it is to catch a cold. I took serious precautions when my wife and I went to a celebration of life for my nephew who shot his girlfriend and them himself a couple of weeks ago. His eldest brother and the rest of his religious eejit friends were not wearing masks.  :( We should have simply stayed away. I'll keep you all posted if it turns out to be Covid. Not a happy camper, right now.  >:(

On that note, what I published in that Covid thread regarding my nephew and his girl friend turns out to not be true. They had been planning on committing mutual suicide for two years before it happened. I can't decide between disappointed, disgusted or just plain sad or angry that they went through that kind of effort without asking for help within the family. It boggles my mind. My nephew was such an easy-going, jolly kind of guy that I just can't believe that his life would come to this kind of an end.  :'(

hermes2015

Randy, I'll be thinking of you. Be strong.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

It's times like this I really wish magic worked.  Hoping for the best.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany