News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What is science?

Started by MarcusA, April 26, 2023, 06:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

All the information in science is filtered by our senses is all I know.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

all of reality is filtered by your senses, marcus.

unless your thoughts are part of reality

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Yes. In fact, that information is converted into human-relatable types through the very same senses. (As in: the theory is written by humans) Those can fail, of course, which is why we seek to agree on certain concepts. For example, how do you know that what you see as blue, I also see as blue? Well, you can rely on numbers. If "everyone" says "blue," while one person says "yellow," you may want to err on the side of blue. Or you can do a spectrum analysis, convert the colour into numbers, representing wavelengths, then see if it has sufficiently short waves to constitute something within the blue spectrum.

Whatever the case, it may be just as well to go for a "lesser" investigation most of the time. After all, you don't always need the perfect model of reality - just good enough for the purpose will do. To put it thusly; if all you want is to design a car, then Newtonian mechanics will get you there and probably quicker than the more precise/comprehensive theories. Or, in reference to the above example, if something being blue or not doesn't really matter to something else, then we may just agree that that there *point* is blue, while this here *point* is not and leave it at that.

The issue then is only what happens when you are proven wrong. My approach is to change my model of reality accordingly. Is the sky demonstrably green? Then green it is - until an even better model shows up.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

yes. to the navajo the sky is green, i believe.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

What is science but wasted on the religious.

MarcusA

Scientists are spaced-out if they think space is worth the expense of travelling there.

MarcusA

Quote from: MarcusA on June 11, 2023, 09:54:53 PMWhat is science but wasted on the religious.

What is science but the exploration of the unknown and not the unknowable.