News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Cecilie, May 22, 2010, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

When patriot Mike rescues feminist Ricki from a post-Trump rally riot, the clash of opposites sets off sparks between them. But the gentleman giant refuses to leave the side of the spunky half-pint until he and his pickup truck deliver her home, safe and sound. Ricki attends the rally to scoop the racism of the Trump crowd in a blog post. But she's forced to spin a false narrative when her mistaken assumptions fail to materialize. When Ricki's lies get Mike doxxed, and his construction worksite becomes the target of anti-fascist thugs, his righteous anger forces her to reckon with the truth. Ricki wants to fix the damage and regain Mike's trust. But that means facing the wrath of the liberal mobs. Will Ricki find the courage to leave the left for a lifetime of old-fashioned true love?

https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-First-MAGA-Romance-Book/dp/1735683019/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YX4A9SYB92UM&keywords=liberty+adams&qid=1647808814&sprefix=liberty+ada%2Caps%2C1573&sr=8-1

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Anne D.

Laidlaw by William McIlvanney. On a Tartan Noir run.

Tank

The rise and fall of the dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

Quote from: Tank on March 27, 2023, 10:04:07 AMThe rise and fall of the dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte.

Just googled this and saw all the glowing reviews. Sounds like a good one.

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on March 28, 2023, 02:43:31 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 27, 2023, 10:04:07 AMThe rise and fall of the dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte.

Just googled this and saw all the glowing reviews. Sounds like a good one.

It is good. It's written in quite a conversational style, not at all academic. But equally it brings the fossils and timelines together in a very understandable way. He puts dinosaurs into their evolutionary context with other species. Eye opening.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Reading;Calculus for Dummies.  It is a good refresher about a lot of basic stuff before it gets to the calc part.

Recusant

Quote from: Anne D. on March 26, 2023, 02:24:04 AMLaidlaw by William McIlvanney. On a Tartan Noir run.

Only have read Rankin when it comes to that vein. McIlvanney's stuff looks worthwhile though--thanks for the tip.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Anne D.

His son's (Liam McIlvanney's) stuff is good too, as is Alan Park's. Ian Rankin is next on my list.

MarcusA

I am rereading Andy Lee's Do Not Open This Book series for the grossly immature. It's very good. It's very inventive. It travels the same line every time and always comes up with a different ending.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Reading is a romance - love them or leave them. I read for pleasure, not necessity. What have I read lately that I really liked? Well, there's Little Bear's Treasure by Stella Dreis. Beautifully illustrated, brilliantly written, it's just a joy. Your kids will love it and so should you.

Icarus

A most informative book about cooking. The title is; Salt, Fat, Acid, heat. I heartily recommend the book to anyone who is interested in why some components and processes work in your recipe and some of them do not. Sort of a low level chemistry lesson.

billy rubin

i have heard of that book.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

I will be reading a chick book soon, The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman. Parochialism has something to say for itself, anyhow it is not the most  important thing, is it a good book or not?

MarcusA

First things first, How to Shame the Devil by Ros Thomas, another Western Australian. I have tried to read this book before but I quickly tired of it. I might have more patience now for it.

Tom62

I've just finished ,,Ik wou dat Stef Bos mijn vader was" a book written by my niece. It is an autobiographical and heartbreaking book about growing up as a child with parents that have psychological problems and alcohol addictions.

FYI: my oldest brother drank and smoked himself to death. He was never able to handle money and reality. He was in a toxic relationship with his partner, totally dominating her. His partner was depressive and tried to commit suicide a couple of times. Growing up in such a household was an ordeal.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein