News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Atheist Creed

Started by LifeisSweet, February 19, 2021, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LifeisSweet

I guess I should have called it a personal creed as opposed to an atheist creed.
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." Epicurus

No one

If you bring tacos, all will be forgiven.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on February 20, 2021, 08:48:36 AM
Quote from: No one on February 20, 2021, 12:34:57 AM
World domination, that's my creed.

Why? All those people to control. I would have thought becoming a hermit was more your line?

I think he wants world dominion so he can eliminate everyone else and take all their stuff.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 26, 2021, 03:44:24 PM

Why? All those people to control. I would have thought becoming a hermit was more your line?

I think he wants world dominion so he can eliminate everyone else and take all their stuff.

You're probably right :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2021, 05:47:56 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 26, 2021, 03:44:24 PM

You're probably right :(
Store not your riches in the world for it shall pass. Instead earn riches in Heaven by proselytizing yourself and deny all the things the world has such as beer and tacos... You know what, screw the sermon. Beer and tacos are worth going to Hell for.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

is it time to tell the story about my uncles taco and the mysterious eyeball?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: LifeisSweet on February 25, 2021, 04:06:04 PM
I guess I should have called it a personal creed as opposed to an atheist creed.

:smilenod:

If theists of a certain sect don't all live by the same creed, even though they say they do, imagine a diverse bunch of atheists! It won't work. :smileshake:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

I enjoy the freedom atheism brings. A creed just somehow seems to tie one down.

Recusant

Quote from: LifeisSweet on February 25, 2021, 04:06:04 PM

All that would take is to indicate a possessive--I think it sounds even better-- "An Atheist's Creed".

Not a bad one at that, as creeds go. If somebody was looking for one they could do worse.  :smilenod:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LifeisSweet

Quote from: Randy on February 28, 2021, 02:55:13 AM
I enjoy the freedom atheism brings. A creed just somehow seems to tie one down.

I get that and agree.  It was intended as an expression of my beliefs and I just wanted to get others opinions (which I did), and to a lesser extent a satire of the Apostle's Creed.  I get that atheists are a diverse group of individuals connected by a common disbelief in a god, but otherwise as varied as any other group of people.
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." Epicurus

billyportne

Well, I can agree with most of the statements themselves but not as a set of "I believes" that make up a creed. My preference is "I think..." (reasoning) that leads to "therefore I'm going to... (action)." If you have a creed, my suggestion is to make sure...

1) You're not using it to subdue your doubts and bolster your position.
2) You haven't passively accepted it without thinking and without evidence.
3) It's not a set of answers that have stopped your thinking.
4) It's not a corral for "I believe" conclusions that go round and round in circles.
5) You're applying it to your life in some pro-active way.
Happiness is like moonshine. Make your own and you'll never run out. But keep in mind that life is not a playground. It's a classroom where you get the test first and the lesson after.