News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on September 22, 2019, 01:59:16 AM
Six weeks ago I set out to lose some weight. I started at 216 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 180 pounds. I still have a ways to go before I can buy new pants that actually fit, but I'm getting there.

Holy shit, that's impressive! I quit drinking and walked around half starved, counting calories weeks and lost...two fucking pounds. I'll have to qualify this with the fact that I had had foot surgery and couldn't have walked fast enough to save my life in a fire, I would have had to crawl.  :-[ I found a Fleet Foot store that carries some shoes that are supposed to help, so we'll see what happens. Not drinking and now being able to move better should be a good combination.

jumbojak

I really don't worry about calories. Minimizing carbohydrates and sugar, together with excercise has made a world of difference.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 23, 2019, 12:38:52 AM
I really don't worry about calories. Minimizing carbohydrates and sugar, together with excercise has made a world of difference.

Cutting back hugely on carbohydrates has helped me to lose 5 kg over a few months, without any extra exercise at all. I am doing it gradually, as I believe sudden weight loss reverses very easily. Counting calories is the last thing on my mind as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on September 22, 2019, 01:59:16 AM
Six weeks ago I set out to lose some weight. I started at 216 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 180 pounds. I still have a ways to go before I can buy new pants that actually fit, but I'm getting there.
You've lost 36 pounds in 6 weeks!? Wow!
That is impressive.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Sight is returning to my right eye, I can actually read this as type with my good eyed closed.  My younger daughter said she'd pray for me and now I can see again, it's a flaming miracle, praise the lord!
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 24, 2019, 12:57:41 PM
Sight is returning to my right eye, I can actually read this as type with my good eyed closed.  My younger daughter said she'd pray for me and now I can see again, it's a flaming miracle, praise the lord!

Cataract operation?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

No, partially detached retina.

So they sucked out the stuff from my eye and replaced it with gas, to support their reconstruction.  The gas level sinks and sight returns.  The gas darkened level is near the bottom of my eye now, but the question is, is it really near the top?

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 24, 2019, 01:54:51 PM
No, partially detached retina.

So they sucked out the stuff from my eye and replaced it with gas, to support their reconstruction.  The gas level sinks and sight returns.  The gas darkened level is near the bottom of my eye now, but the question is, is it really near the top?

Good to hear it's improving.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

It is good to see that your eye is better. I treasure my vision, sorry as it is without specs.

I discovered Hokaoneone brand shoes, and bought a pair Saturday. Got them yesterday, and am wearing them around. Really comfortable! We'll see how my walking improves with them.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 24, 2019, 03:07:37 PM
It is good to see that your eye is better. I treasure my vision, sorry as it is without specs.

I discovered Hokaoneone brand shoes, and bought a pair Saturday. Got them yesterday, and am wearing them around. Really comfortable! We'll see how my walking improves with them.

My dad taught me that shoes are easily the most important item of clothing one can buy. I found that Dr. Martens shoes and boots suited my feet perfectly and have been a loyal customer for more than 50 years. If something suits me, I will keep using it regardless of current fashions.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Right! I'm going through this argument with one of my sons. He's 100+ pounds overweight, and his shoes wear out quickly. When he tells me his feet hurt I tell him that there is a simple solution- new shoes. He can afford them, but he wants save his money for other things. I just point out the kind of pain I'm going through, and that's where he's going to be in 30 years.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 24, 2019, 07:56:48 PM
Right! I'm going through this argument with one of my sons. He's 100+ pounds overweight, and his shoes wear out quickly. When he tells me his feet hurt I tell him that there is a simple solution- new shoes. He can afford them, but he wants save his money for other things. I just point out the kind of pain I'm going through, and that's where he's going to be in 30 years.

Let him try a pair of Doc Martens. He will complain bitterly at the beginning, because they are hell to break in, but once tamed, I find them wonderfully comfortable. They also last for years, saving money in the long run. I have one 30-year old pair of Docs whose soles show almost no wear.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTGxl0rmL0AHRHymsbXyOtBZB934g:1569383418273&q=Doc+Martens&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGhabpiOvkAhVDrHEKHb5pDkoQ7Al6BAgFECQ&biw=1920&bih=958
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Yahoo, I'm letting off a heap of non smoking fireworks I got from the Internet at this moment.