News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Trump Inaugural Address

Started by Dave, January 20, 2017, 05:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well, sounded much like his campaign, nothing new, to me.

A mixture of patriotism, nationalism, isolationism - and probably other isms * -  but not a lot of substance.

So, America first in everything - can a country remain a world power with that attitude without weilding an even harder fist than it has already done so? Can an iolationist America expect to wield influence in the "soft" areas of trade etc?

What will his attitude be to those multi-nationals who once had a base in America but are now global? Can he tax all of the and survive?

We have heard the words, let's watch the actions with interest.

* later: how could I have forgotten "protectionism"?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on January 20, 2017, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: Firebird on January 20, 2017, 05:32:31 PM
Didn't watch

I don't blame you. That's what transcripts are for.

Just happened to be on the radio as I made a meal.

There is a site that does analysis of speeches, can't find it now though.

Davin

Trump seems to have had a relatively small turn out... at least compared to Obama.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/20/14332462/photos-crowd-trump-inauguration-vs-obama

I'm sure though, that those pictures are rigged. Sad.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

They're not really. Someone just tried to prove a point on a Facebook thread by posting photos from the podium and you can still see the big empty white spaces on the Mall.

Also, his first Twitter background as president is from Obama's 2009 inauguration  ;D

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 20, 2017, 08:58:06 PM
He's such a dick.

Yup, but he is Dick-In-Charge, well as much as Pence et all let him be.

Word was that very few of the White House workers want to stay on, nor the lowers reaches of the hierachy of the security services.

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife, who hates Trump and voted for Hillary and can't stand to look at The Donald, thought that at least Melania looked classy.  So that's the takeaway from our house.

Firebird

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 20, 2017, 10:06:49 PM
My wife, who hates Trump and voted for Hillary and can't stand to look at The Donald, thought that at least Melania looked classy.  So that's the takeaway from our house.

I wasn't thrilled with how some people tried to slut shame her early on. Yes, she posed nude. Good for her. Move on. Let's talk about what an idiot she is for marrying him, and her hypocrisy while being an advocate against cyberbullying.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Firebird on January 20, 2017, 10:59:32 PM

I wasn't thrilled with how some people tried to slut shame her early on. Yes, she posed nude. Good for her. Move on. Let's talk about what an idiot she is for marrying him, and her hypocrisy while being an advocate against cyberbullying.

Well, concerning her being an idiot, she's from Slovenia, and she married a billionaire who is now the most powerful man in the world.  So while I disagree with Trump on almost everything, I can't really say that she made a bad decision from the perspective of her self-interest.

Firebird

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 20, 2017, 11:25:34 PM
Quote from: Firebird on January 20, 2017, 10:59:32 PM

Well, concerning her being an idiot, she's from Slovenia, and she married a billionaire who is now the most powerful man in the world.  So while I disagree with Trump on almost everything, I can't really say that she made a bad decision from the perspective of her self-interest.

Dammit Bruce, let me wallow in hate!
You're right. Let's say shallowness.

xSilverPhinx

A dark day for the US and possibly for the world in the near future.  :felix:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey