News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Pleased to Meet You

Started by Dede, February 16, 2020, 06:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dede

Somewhat imprinted by having been raised in a more formal culture, I considered "Howdy" but even after living in the U.S. for 33 years, it still just isn't me :-).

That I escaped being indoctrinated by the religion-permeated culture in South Africa was highly against the odds, but luckily I was simply born skeptic so it never 'took'.  English is my second language; I make the rare slip in singular/plural verb sometimes but otherwise very fluent.

I'm an artistic type who sculpts, writes, paint, plays with camera ... and I have a passion for Geology.  My interest is not in debating ... not my thing ... but selectively joining a conversation which I find of interest.  I live alone, a mid-seventies liberal gal, reads a lot of non-fiction, watches zero television, and streams mostly BBC material to my smart TV set.

I found this Forum by googling; I belong to Agnostics.com but it doesn't quite fill my need for some online companionship. Your forum is listed as part of a long list of Atheism resources on some other website, I think it was AtheismUniverse or something like that. So I clicked through that list and when I came to yours, I liked what I saw.

Sandra Craft

Welcome.  We have a lot of people here who like to play with cameras, and are very good at it.  There's a page just for showing off photos we've taken, and also a regular photo challenge you might like to join -- we're voting on the most recent challenge now, done on the theme of "blue".  I'm not good with tech but somebody will be able to link you to it, it you haven't found it already, that is.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Hello Dede. Welcome to our warm little family - I am sure you will enjoy interacting with all the interesting HAF members. You and I seem to have quite a lot in common, since I am also SA-born; in my case half-Jewish with English as first language. I am happy to hear that you practise sculpture and photography, which are two of my interests as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Hello Dede

When I read your intro I thought you were hermes2015 in drag you have so much in common! Well I'm glad you came here after a little research and I hope you settle in. We have a seriously disparate bunch of men and women here. Trolls don't last long, we like our little corner of the net reasonably civil.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Welcome to the forum Dede.

Your brief description of yourself would suggest that you might enjoy this little forum.  Quite a few of us are cut from a similar mould.  I believe that you will find us friendly, intelligent, caring and culturally neutral.  We have members from all over the world which allows us  some interesting perspectives.

The only warning is that we are occasionally profane.  Most of us have precious little respect for our current US president.  But politics is definitely not our predominant subject.  Books, cooking, humor, and other general interest stuff is more to our liking.

Dede

I am trying to figure out how to reply to a comment, here goes my experiment:  No fear, it is not possible to have more contempt for that POS in our esteemed White House than I do. And occasional profanity? I was once told by a devout, misleadingly traditional gal that she "LOVES it when an elegant woman with an accent says the F-word" (after I had said it) :-) . Now, let's see if my reply posts where it should!

Quote from: Icarus on February 16, 2020, 08:11:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Dede.
Your brief description of yourself would suggest that you might enjoy this little forum.  Quite a few of us are cut from a similar mould.  I believe that you will find us friendly, intelligent, caring and culturally neutral.  We have members from all over the world which allows us  some interesting perspectives.

The only warning is that we are occasionally profane.  Most of us have precious little respect for our current US president.  But politics is definitely not our predominant subject.  Books, cooking, humor, and other general interest stuff is more to our liking.

Tank

To reply, hit the quote on the post you want to reply to and go to the bottom of the dialogue window and then start your reply.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dede

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2020, 09:17:06 PM
To reply, hit the quote on the post you want to reply to and go to the bottom of the dialogue window and then start your reply.
Thank you for the help! I did go read the FAQs but sometimes I can be pretty obtuse (smile)
and thank you for the warm welcome.

Tank

Quote from: Dede on February 16, 2020, 09:27:02 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2020, 09:17:06 PM
Thank you for the help! I did go read the FAQs but sometimes I can be pretty obtuse (smile)
and thank you for the warm welcome.

Spot on!

Dede

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 16, 2020, 07:13:43 PM
Hello Dede. Welcome to our warm little family - I am sure you will enjoy interacting with all the interesting HAF members. You and I seem to have quite a lot in common, since I am also SA-born; in my case half-Jewish with English as first language. I am happy to hear that you practise sculpture and photography, which are two of my interests as well.
Delighted !  I'll participate in the photography group, sure ... I confess to using Auto mode often; for me it's about the composition mostly and I love macro of flowers. Been doing pottery for 50-odd years, handbuilt pieces and sculpture. I dabbled in glass fusing too, and making jewelry from silver clay as well as copper and bronze clay. Thank you for reaching out and saying Hallo!

Dede

Quote from: Sandra Craft on February 16, 2020, 06:49:32 PM
Welcome.  We have a lot of people here who like to play with cameras, and are very good at it.  There's a page just for showing off photos we've taken, and also a regular photo challenge you might like to join -- we're voting on the most recent challenge now, done on the theme of "blue".  I'm not good with tech but somebody will be able to link you to it, it you haven't found it already, that is.
Hi Sandra, thank you for the welcome, and for directing me to the Photography activity. I went and voted for my favorites :-)

billy rubin

geology?

you re already a winner in my bbook.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Hello and welcome to the forum! :computerwave:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one