News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Icarus on September 04, 2020, 12:25:41 AM
Rec is right to have the CV mention abilities in specific programs that are part of the engineering quiver. 

Autocad, Solidwoirks, or similar programs are part of the deal for engineering types. Prospective employers need to know that the applicant can use modern tools with a suitable degree of familiarity.

I agree.  I would think that any prospective employer would expect that an engineer with any computing skills would be familiar with MS Office.  I would not specify individual components of that suite, it would look like the applicant is looking for things to add to the list of skills.  Experience with design tools is different, for example one could say "experienced in the use of Siemens Unigraphics NX at an advanced level"
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

You guys make a great point, I will pass on your suggestions to him. I'm not writing his CV, just trying my best to translate it (:whew:) and he just put Microsoft tools such as Word, Excel, etc.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I'm having some trouble with this one (where's a sweaty emoji when you need one? Heh). I need to know the term in English for...I think it's a technical service station or a technical maintenance station (:notsure:) ...or something along those lines...for planes. The word in Portuguese is 'oficina' and translating sites give me terms like 'workshop' and 'shop', which are some of the word's meanings but I think it's wrong in this context.   

The phrase is: Coordination of the Technical "Oficina" Team in the implementation of a new LEAN transformation strategy... 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on September 04, 2020, 12:51:11 AM
Rec is right to have the CV mention abilities in specific programs that are part of the engineering quiver. 

Autocad, Solidwoirks, or similar programs are part of the deal for engineering types. Prospective employers need to know that the applicant can use modern tools with a suitable degree of familiarity.

I agree.  I would think that any prospective employer would expect that an engineer with any computing skills would be familiar with MS Office.  I would not specify individual components of that suite, it would look like the applicant is looking for things to add to the list of skills.  Experience with design tools is different, for example one could say "experienced in the use of Siemens Unigraphics NX at an advanced level"

I'd agree about MS Office. I had little experience with it for a number of reasons- I graduated uni in '83, and it didn't exist. When I went to work at my first job after graduating, we were just getting to CAD terminals, and anything we wrote was by hand and typed by secretaries on IBM Selectric typewriters. Then we got "Wordstar" and life was never the same! :lol: I got a crash course on MS Office in the late '90s. When talking to one of my supervisors, I asked why he didn't want me to mention FORTRAN programming capability when I updated my resume. He said that any engineer is assumed to be conversant with it as a matter of course, as the engineering curriculum in all  universities cover it. I was a physics major, and so hadn't been exposed to more than some rudimentary FORTRAN programming in '78. That muscle got developed tout-suite after I graduated, I can tell you! :lol:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 04, 2020, 04:22:29 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on September 04, 2020, 12:51:11 AM

I'd agree about MS Office. I had little experience with it for a number of reasons- I graduated uni in '83, and it didn't exist. When I went to work at my first job after graduating, we were just getting to CAD terminals, and anything we wrote was by hand and typed by secretaries on IBM Selectric typewriters. Then we got "Wordstar" and life was never the same! :lol: I got a crash course on MS Office in the late '90s. When talking to one of my supervisors, I asked why he didn't want me to mention FORTRAN programming capability when I updated my resume. He said that any engineer is assumed to be conversant with it as a matter of course, as the engineering curriculum in all  universities cover it. I was a physics major, and so hadn't been exposed to more than some rudimentary FORTRAN programming in '78. That muscle got developed tout-suite after I graduated, I can tell you! :lol:

Heh :grin:

There's so much we learn at university that we don't use after we graduate, and even more they don't teach us but we're required to know. Funny how that works.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 04, 2020, 01:43:45 AM
I'm having some trouble with this one (where's a sweaty emoji when you need one? Heh). I need to know the term in English for...I think it's a technical service station or a technical maintenance station (:notsure:) ...or something along those lines...for planes. The word in Portuguese is 'oficina' and translating sites give me terms like 'workshop' and 'shop', which are some of the word's meanings but I think it's wrong in this context.   

The phrase is: Coordination of the Technical "Oficina" Team in the implementation of a new LEAN transformation strategy... 

Oh, that's a good one. Generally aircraft maintenance takes place in hangars. I don't know how airplane-centric this piece of writing is. Also, is "Technical ______ Team" the name of the team, or merely a phrase describing the team? If it is the name of the team, it might be simpler to give a parenthetical English translation of the name when it first appears, then use the Portuguese name of the team in the remaining text. I'm not sure about how translation protocol works in instances like that.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

I would think something like Aircraft Maintenance Workshop (or Office) might be a possibility. Thinking back to my flying days (after 40 years, its a bit of a stretch) we used to call our maintenance areas using acronyms, from memory AMCO, which IIRC meant Aircraft Maintenance Control Office or something like that.  Not much help, I'm sorry.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 04, 2020, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 04, 2020, 01:43:45 AM

Oh, that's a good one. Generally aircraft maintenance takes place in hangars. I don't know how airplane-centric this piece of writing is. Also, is "Technical ______ Team" the name of the team, or merely a phrase describing the team? If it is the name of the team, it might be simpler to give a parenthetical English translation of the name when it first appears, then use the Portuguese name of the team in the remaining text. I'm not sure about how translation protocol works in instances like that.

I think it's necessary to translate the name of the team because it's not technically a name, if that makes sense. It's a label for a group of people with a certain function. If it's the name of a place or an official name of some sort then you can leave it in the original language with an explanation or parenthetical translation depending on the client's preference.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on September 05, 2020, 04:05:55 AM
I would think something like Aircraft Maintenance Workshop (or Office) might be a possibility. Thinking back to my flying days (after 40 years, its a bit of a stretch) we used to call our maintenance areas using acronyms, from memory AMCO, which IIRC meant Aircraft Maintenance Control Office or something like that.  Not much help, I'm sorry.

Everything helps! :grin:

I spoke to my uncle and he said they call it just 'Shop', so that's the word I put. :shrug: If it's not exactly that then he'd have to explain what it means in his upcoming interviews.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

:lol: I don't know why Urban Dictionary gets treated so poorly, I learn so much from it. :sidesmile:

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 15, 2020, 09:17:02 PM
:lol: I don't know why Urban Dictionary gets treated so poorly, I learn so much from it. :sidesmile:
That could be a problem.  ;)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Hi. :grin:

I'm reading the manuscript my advisor wrote and am in doubt about the word use in this sentence: 

"...the possible involvement of female hormones behind the observed effects..."

Is 'behind' ok in this context? :notsure: This seems to me like a literal translation of Portuguese. My head really isn't working too well today so I'm really not sure.  :-\