News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 22, 2019, 02:44:30 PM
Anyone watch the Rise of Skywalker yet? :popcorn:

I haven't... probably going to next weekend, just bumping this thread for now. :grin:

Saw it yesterday and was very disappointed.
Bad storytelling.
Cardboard characters.
Plot holes that are larger than imperial battlecruisers.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on December 25, 2019, 12:42:06 PM

I haven't... probably going to next weekend, just bumping this thread for now. :grin:

Bad storytelling.
Cardboard characters.

That's too bad.  :( I haven't seen it yet so I can't give my opinion but I've been hearing some pretty bad reviews.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2019, 10:45:43 PM

Bad storytelling.
Cardboard characters.

That's too bad.  :( I haven't seen it yet so I can't give my opinion but I've been hearing some pretty bad reviews.

A lot of people overthink Star Wars. And this film has 42 years of expectations weighing on its shoulders. Whatever happened in it it wasn't going to please all of the people all of the time. This is why I never watch trailers nor read reviews before I go and see a film. I loved it. And had tears on my cheeks more than once. The characters have always been stereotypes/archetypes but it's what you take to them that brings them to life. Don't overthink it, just go see it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 26, 2019, 08:37:37 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2019, 10:45:43 PM

Bad storytelling.
Cardboard characters.

A lot of people overthink Star Wars. And this film has 42 years of expectations weighing on its shoulders. Whatever happened in it it wasn't going to please all of the people all of the time. This is why I never watch trailers nor read reviews before I go and see a film. I loved it. And had tears on my cheeks more than once. The characters have always been stereotypes/archetypes but it's what you take to them that brings them to life. Don't overthink it, just go see it.

:thumbsup:

No one

Tom62

Quote from: No one on December 26, 2019, 10:14:26 PM
Did Voldemort finally defeat the Cylons?

Yes, he actually did(spoiler alert). Luckily the Borg and the Cybermen showed up later to terminate him.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Wait, so Voldemort is dead? Why didn't he use the TARDIS to escape?

joeactor

Quote from: No one on December 27, 2019, 05:05:51 AM
Wait, so Voldemort is dead? Why didn't he use the TARDIS to escape?

Voldemort took the TARDIS through a Stargate and accidentally created a wormhole to Narnia. He lives there now with Marduk.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

There's a 99.78 percent chance I will watch Rise of Skywalker tonight.  :jumps:

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2019, 08:22:05 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2019, 03:27:43 PM

Well did you?

I did, and honestly, I enjoyed it even if it was a little cliché at times. Even so, I did connect on some level to most of the characters. Star Wars is a fascinating franchise for its numerous underlying themes -- philosophical, social, religious...you start to pick these apart and you get way more than just a popcorn flick.   

I found myself thinking about some aspects of the movie hours after I had watched it. And not in disappointment, either.

Major SPOILER ahead!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 29, 2019, 03:10:21 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2019, 08:22:05 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2019, 03:27:43 PM

Well did you?

I did, and honestly, I enjoyed it even if it was a little cliché at times. Even so, I did connect on some level to most of the characters. Star Wars is a fascinating franchise for its numerous underlying themes -- philosophical, social, religious...you start to pick these apart and you get way more than just a popcorn flick.   

I found myself thinking about some aspects of the movie hours after I had watched it. And not in disappointment, either.

Major SPOILER ahead!

CRITICAL SPOILER!

Tom62

On a scale from 0 to 10, I'd give the movie a 6+. The movie wants to please the fanbase so much, that it looses track of its own identity. The first part of the movie is rather rushed in a kind of desperate attempt to repair the damages made by the Last Jedi movie. The midsection of the movie shows some action sequences and acting that are pretty good. Especially Oscar Isaac (Poe), John Boyega (Finn) and Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) have grown more into their roles. Super Rey (Daisy Ridley) remains however the flat Mary Sue character that most Star Wars fans love to hate. But, at least this time we see her training for a couple of minutes with Leia. Final section is full of CGI action sequences. None of them have the same appeal as the ones in the original series. For example, the enemy fleet just fills up the sky, doing nothing else but being "sitting ducks". Rey of course beats Palpatine and everybody is happy (as long as they don't think to much about the plot holes, inconsistencies and too many questions that still remain open).  In general the movie is, at times, a decent thrill ride, and it provides us with some satisfying moments, but it fails to tell a compelling story.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx