News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Why Lent annoys me...

Started by YaarghMatey487, March 11, 2011, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "YaarghMatey487"@Whitney- that's my point though. Lent isn't supposed to be about just giving up something that gives some people fat asses. It's about actually sacrificing something that affects you in a negative way. For example: if you know that you gossip you should cut out gossiping since it actually affects your person on a spiritual level. Giving up bullshit like candy and fried foods may make you lose weight but in the end most people give them up for self serving reasons.

Anything someone might do to make their "spiritual" self better is self serving....including cutting out gossiping.  Giving up Candy and junk food is giving up glutony, which has spiritual implications for most religious people and being overweight affects people negatively both physically and emotionally.

I'm not sure I can think of something anyone could give up that wouldn't be self serving because ultimately they would be doing it to make themselves fell better about doing what they are told is the right thing to do...even giving of their free time to help the homeless would be self serving because helping people makes you feel good.

Basically, the modern practice of Lent seems like a religious version of new years resolutions that you plan to give up in a relatively short time.  They should change it to "this year, what can you give up forever?"

Saeriva

The thing that annoys me the most about Lent isn't the pansy "fasting" or the obviously pagan implications of decorated eggs on Easter or anything like that, it's the fact the whole cluster-eff of holidays this time of year are movable.

I'm sure most of you must have noticed by now, but Lent (and by extention, Ash Wednesday, Mardi Gras, Easter, ect.ect.) takes place at a different time every year, the date of which are based on calculations by the Vatican. If Good Friday was indeed the day Jesus was crucified and Easter is truly the day he was resurrected, why is it on a different day year to year? How can one man die and be reborn on a different day depending on the placement of the moon?  Forget all the self-serving Lenten purification whining and Friday fish fries (which I actually really like), the very bases for the holiday is what sends me to rages.

If ever there where more proof how laughably unbelievable this all is, it was this.

Tank

^^^ When was mythology ever logical?  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"^^^ When was mythology ever logical?  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Tank"^^^ When was mythology ever logical?  :pop:
It probably lent him an air of authority so what he says was logical was, in fact, quite logical, sir!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Gludd20

I find it odd that they only give up bad habits temporarily.  Wouldn't you be more noble in god's eyes if you let go of these things?

februarystars

My family owns a seafood restaurant, so Lent means slam-packed Friday nights for us.

It also means Mardi Gras season, king cakes, parades, Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, Cadbury Eggs, and Robin's Egg Whoppers. I will take your paganized Christianized pagan holiday magic in the form of delicious candies, thank you.
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."

Tank

Quote from: "februarystars"My family owns a seafood restaurant, so Lent means slam-packed Friday nights for us.

It also means Mardi Gras season, king cakes, parades, Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, Cadbury Eggs, and Robin's Egg Whoppers. I will take your paganized Christianized pagan holiday magic in the form of delicious candies, thank you.
Where do you live  :drool

februarystars

Quote from: "Tank"Where do you live  :drool

South Mississippi. Right in the middle of the bible belt, but close enough to escape to the delightfully sinful and liberal city of New Orleans when necessary.

Edit: I just noticed that you live in England, and it would be kind of presumptuous to tell somebody from Coruscant that I live in Mos Eisley if they didn't know the geography of Tatooine.

Mississippi, much like Mos Eisley, could also be considered the "armpit of the galaxy."

Tank

Quote from: "februarystars"
Quote from: "Tank"Where do you live  :drool

februarystars

Just curious, where in North England do you live? For my senior trip in high school, I visited Scotland and a few areas in England. I thought London was going to be the most awesome place ever, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I enjoyed the northern part of the country so much more.

Tank

Quote from: "februarystars"Just curious, where in North England do you live? For my senior trip in high school, I visited Scotland and a few areas in England. I thought London was going to be the most awesome place ever, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I enjoyed the northern part of the country so much more.
Well I was born in Worthing on the South coast of England in Dec' '59, but my first living memory was of Paddock Wood, a little tiny village in the countryside of Kent. Moved to Farnborough, also in Kent, when I was 5 and where I grew up, it's on the South Eastern edge of London. Moved around South London till I moved to Leeds in West Yorkshire 25 years ago. And I must say the quality of life in Leeds is generally a lot better in Leeds than London.

Cecilie

Of the four cities I've been to in England, York is my favorite one.
The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"Of the four cities I've been to in England, York is my favorite one.
A very nice city, 20 minutes away from where I live.