News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

James Webb Space Telescope

Started by Tank, December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

The Webb telescope is by all measures, a magnificent human achievement. 

If it works as intended, there may be some serious kickback. Many individuals will resist learning that the Genisis tale of the Christian bible, is not an accurate account of the way that our earth began.

The machine has already gotten the descriptive moniker, Golden Eye.

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on January 12, 2022, 12:13:22 AM
The Webb telescope is by all measures, a magnificent human achievement. 

If it works as intended, there may be some serious kickback. Many individuals will resist learning that the Genisis tale of the Christian bible, is not an accurate account of the way that our earth began.

The machine has already gotten the descriptive moniker, Golden Eye.

are you familiar with lastthursdayism, icarus?

its a logically necessary foundation of special creation that illustrates why creationism can never be proven wrong, or any other formayion theory be proven right.

creationists are generally too ignorant to be aware of it, but they should be

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

I continue to learn from my HAF peers. No, I have no familiarity with the term, Lastthursdayism.  I gotta google that previously oblivious concept.

Learning stuff is part of the reason that I like it here. True even if Billy is pulling my leg, which is a possibility of course.  :)

billy rubin

no, lastthursdayism is cinsidered a joke by people who dont think carefully  about creationism and its implications. but its dead serious, and is why a creation story such as that of the jews cannot be refuted scientifically. real special creation is impervious to geology, radiometric dating, cosmology and so on.

i veneralky dont bring it upbecause people get pissed off when their sacred cow isnt respected, but i lapsed here

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

The Webb telescope is now fully aligned optically, a major step toward full operation.

"NASA's Webb Reaches Alignment Milestone, Optics Working Successfully" | NASA

Following the completion of critical mirror alignment steps, NASA's James Webb Space Telescope team expects that Webb's optical performance will be able to meet or exceed the science goals the observatory was built to achieve.

On March 11, the Webb team completed the stage of alignment known as "fine phasing." At this key stage in the commissioning of Webb's Optical Telescope Element, every optical parameter that has been checked and tested is performing at, or above, expectations. The team also found no critical issues and no measurable contamination or blockages to Webb's optical path. The observatory is able to successfully gather light from distant objects and deliver it to its instruments without issue.

Although there are months to go before Webb ultimately delivers its new view of the cosmos, achieving this milestone means the team is confident that Webb's first-of-its-kind optical system is working as well as possible.

"More than 20 years ago, the Webb team set out to build the most powerful telescope that anyone has ever put in space and came up with an audacious optical design to meet demanding science goals," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. "Today we can say that design is going to deliver."

While some of the largest ground-based telescopes on Earth use segmented primary mirrors, Webb is the first telescope in space to use such a design. The 21-foot, 4-inch (6.5-meter) primary mirror – much too big to fit inside a rocket fairing – is made up of 18 hexagonal, beryllium mirror segments. It had to be folded up for launch and then unfolded in space before each mirror was adjusted – to within nanometers – to form a single mirror surface.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

This is one of the things the USA can do well. Wish we would fund more of this stuff than the things we flub up on so often.

billy rubin

" . . . adjusted to within nanometers?"

many nanometers, i think.

Dark Lightning

Single-digit nanometer adjustment capability-

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

Wicked cool science and engineering, eh?

Recusant

Indeed, and thanks for that video. In the comments the engineer who wrote the paper that the videographer used to replicate the actuator tells us that the original model was built with Legos.  :smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

That's way cheaper than even using a 3-D printer! Smart move on their part.

Recusant

The GIF below shows the contrast between the previous best infrared space telescope and the infrared capabilities of the Webb telescope.

Credit: NASA/ESA/CSA/STScI

"MIRI's Sharper View Hints at New Possibilities for Science" | NASA

QuoteNASA's James Webb Space Telescope is aligned across all four of its science instruments, as seen in a previous engineering image showing the observatory's full field of view. Now, we take a closer look at that same image, focusing on Webb's coldest instrument: the Mid-Infrared Instrument, or MIRI.

The MIRI test image (at 7.7 microns) shows part of the Large Magellanic Cloud. This small satellite galaxy of the Milky Way provided a dense star field to test Webb's performance.

Here, a close-up of the MIRI image is compared to a past image of the same target taken with NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope's Infrared Array Camera (at 8.0 microns). The retired Spitzer telescope was one of NASA's Great Observatories and the first to provide high-resolution images of the near- and mid-infrared universe. Webb, with its significantly larger primary mirror and improved detectors, will allow us to see the infrared sky with improved clarity, enabling even more discoveries.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on May 10, 2022, 10:58:16 PMThe GIF below shows the contrast between the previous best infrared space telescope and the infrared capabilities of the Webb telescope.

Credit: NASA/ESA/CSA/STScI

That one star a bit to the right and below the topmost one of them bright stars... Where did the high-res scope do away with it? HM?! Where, I ask?!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.