News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

Quote from: "Steve Reason"LOL I know, I'm just kidding.
Yup - I know, I was just trying to score some evolution-minded points.  :wink:  

I really wish I could remember the name of that chili place.  I think it had a racing theme (500 and all), like "Pit Stop", or some such.  I could easily be way off base.

The arena might be Pan Am --- I seem to remember a lot of flags from different places --- seems to fit the name.

McQ

Here's what's on my mind today. My photo gallery gets too few "hits". I'm feeling sorry for myself.  :cry:

OK, not really all that bad, but I wish that the damn thing was getting more traffic. So, here's my totally shameless plug for my photo site!

http://mcq.smugmug.com

Take a few moments and look at some original photos by me. Make sure that you visit my galleries and then my guestbook. That way you can tell me what a wonderful and talented photographer I am and make me feel good! LOL!

And I'll preempt the comments about the religious statue photo. It just looked cool to me. Anything that looks cool to me gets photographed.

I'm an amateur, so don't expect Ansel Adams. My biggest enjoyment is sports and action photography, but I'll take pictures of anything that lets me. Photography is like golf. You can do it your whole life and never master it.

That's what is on my mind.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Shalo'zier

I've got a calculus test tommorow, and I've got to study for that.

:D

Think I'll go now.
Join The Hallway, and enjoy the most random place this side of the Transformer Fanlisting site.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "SteveS"The arena might be Pan Am --- I seem to remember a lot of flags from different places --- seems to fit the name.

Yeah that's it.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

tigerlily46514

McQ!  My Hero!  I'm going right now to your photo site!!  I'll sign in and out twice even, so it'll look like more traffic.  I'll make a lotta noise too.  I'll be right back.  If i never come back with some comment about McQ's photo site--NOBODY ELSE GO IN THERE, ok?
But cereal, i love ART!!!!  How long you been a shutter bug?
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

tigerlily46514

Okay, i made it back!  It's safe, you all can go now!  WOW, McQ!  What an eye!  I loved too many of these....i'm so gonna own "SnowWhite" and give it to Craig for his birthday....that lighting..i loved the hay bales one, too.  The construction one, the brick one, how do you even SEE that stuff that way.  Yeah, thanks for the warning on the religious statue, otherwise, i woulda spit my drink out onto my keyboard....

HEY-YOU ARE NOT 80!! You are hot, McQ!!  Who knew?  I thought you were our Geezer King.  Dang, now i AM the oldest one here.....
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Tom62

I also liked the hay bales. My favourite photo's are the ones with the ducks. BTW how do you manage to look so young?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Steve Reason

Quote from: "McQ"Here's what's on my mind today. My photo gallery gets too few "hits". I'm feeling sorry for myself.  :cry:

OK, not really all that bad, but I wish that the damn thing was getting more traffic. So, here's my totally shameless plug for my photo site!

http://mcq.smugmug.com

Take a few moments and look at some original photos by me. Make sure that you visit my galleries and then my guestbook. That way you can tell me what a wonderful and talented photographer I am and make me feel good! LOL!

And I'll preempt the comments about the religious statue photo. It just looked cool to me. Anything that looks cool to me gets photographed.

I'm an amateur, so don't expect Ansel Adams. My biggest enjoyment is sports and action photography, but I'll take pictures of anything that lets me. Photography is like golf. You can do it your whole life and never master it.

That's what is on my mind.

Okay, I signed your book. What else can I do for you?  :D

You actually have some nice photos there. I like photography as well. I don't have a good camera, so I can only do so much-- but it's just fun to do. I'm not very good though, I imagine that's something you're born with.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

MommaSquid

I signed your book, too.  Nice pics!

SteveS

Nice work McQ!  My favorites where the B-17 at the air show.  I am not a photographer, although my wife takes some nice pictures.  When we were in Door County Wisconsin she took a neat pic looking up a spiral staircase in a lighthouse that came out well.  You photo-people have this eye for recognizing what makes an artistic picture that honestly amazes me.  I just don't have it!

I also liked the dog and the tree leaves.  Maybe you could get a stalk of barley in the sunset?  Or a sprig of hops?  :wink:

McQ

Wow! Hey guys (that's slang for men and women for me) thanks for going into the site and commenting in the guest book!

I told you it was a shameless plug, but there was a twinge of shame involved.  :wink:

Jean, you crack me up! Thanks. You're too kind. And BTW, my friends here do not have to pay for photos. I'm not a professional photographer anyway, I just love doing it. Anything you guys like, you may have. Just make sure I get the credit...none of this, "Oh I took that pic with my little disposable when I was on vacation." stuff. LOL!

And thank you also to MommaSquid, the Steves, and Tom. I appreciate you all taking the time to go in there and leave comments.

My cameras have changed over the past three years, from a simple Olympus Digital SLR, to newer and bigger Nikons. I am convinced that anyone can take good pictures, and even the equipment doesn't matter a whole lot if you develop a good eye. I'm working on it. It's funny, that every pro photographer will tell you the best way to get good at it is to take lots of pictures. They are right. It is the best way, although it seems to take a long time.

I tend to take thousands of sports photos each year, as our high school asked me to do their soccer teams and track and field. Our town's swim team also has me do their stuff. I take no pay for it, because it really is all about the kids and giving them some fun memories. Digital photography allows me to do thousands of pictures pretty cheaply (except for the initial outlay for the cameras and lenses). It keeps me out of trouble I guess!

Anyway, thanks again for doing that for me. You guys are awesome!

Oh, and I didn't even realize that my age was listed as it is! LOL! I'll have to take some time to find that and correct it!

Lastly, SteveS...that B-17 is beautiful. I walked all through it and talked with the pilots and crew. What an airplane! They were giving rides at $300 a pop, which seems high at first, but then you realize it's the only way they have to raise money to keep that beast in the air, and it's a bargain!
My wife still didn't let me!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

McQ...very nice photos.  Is that one looking through the glass at a tower taken in Philadelphia.  If not, where and what tower?

SteveS

Hey McQ - the sports photos sound great!  When I was kid playing hockey growing up, I really liked when people gave me pictures from the games - they give you a little fantasy of being a "big league player" or something.  When I played club hockey in college the photographer put a picture of me in the student paper - I was thrilled!  I think you're doing a great thing for the kids - I'm sure they love it!

About the B-17, yeah, one of my many underdeveloped interests is "aviation enthusiast".  I love planes - that's cool that you got to actually walk through it.  The Air Force museum (somewhere in Ohio, I think?) had a fuselage from a B-17 that I walked through, but I've never been inside a real flight-capable one.  Too bad you didn't get to ride - even for 3 bills, I'd have been sorely tempted!

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"McQ...very nice photos.  Is that one looking through the glass at a tower taken in Philadelphia.  If not, where and what tower?

Close...that tower is a church steeple in Baltimore, MD. I took it through the glass (huge four story glass building) of the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). One of my sons just started there, majoring in graphic art. One or two other photos are from inside that building as well. Thanks!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "SteveS"Hey McQ - the sports photos sound great!  When I was kid playing hockey growing up, I really liked when people gave me pictures from the games - they give you a little fantasy of being a "big league player" or something.  When I played club hockey in college the photographer put a picture of me in the student paper - I was thrilled!  I think you're doing a great thing for the kids - I'm sure they love it!

About the B-17, yeah, one of my many underdeveloped interests is "aviation enthusiast".  I love planes - that's cool that you got to actually walk through it.  The Air Force museum (somewhere in Ohio, I think?) had a fuselage from a B-17 that I walked through, but I've never been inside a real flight-capable one.  Too bad you didn't get to ride - even for 3 bills, I'd have been sorely tempted!

That plane will be back again next summer, and I think this time I'll be on board as a paying passenger. As a former military aviator, I can't get enough of all things that fly. The cost will be worth it to ride that puppy and take some photos.
--Penn Jillette