News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

To my shame, I admit that I've never heard of Lara Fabian before, although she has sold millions of records.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

years ago i was driving across oklahoma in my 67 chevrolet half-ton, and picked up some hitchhikers in the dark. they were going to to a tull concert in the nearby college town and had been stopped by the pigs on th ehighway.

they had been smoking pot, and the pigs arrested the driver and called for the car to be towd. so they went on to the concert without him, which i at the time i thought somewhat cold.

but those were strange days.

strange days, indeed.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Ian Anderson is one of my heroes. Strange days, indeed, but underneath it all there was a sincere, naïve belief that we could achieve a better society. I never believed that dropping out was the way to do it—I thought it was more effective to stay in the system and try to undermine it from the inside.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 03, 2022, 02:56:06 AMTo my shame, I admit that I've never heard of Lara Fabian before, although she has sold millions of records.
Speaking of,

...And speaking of that, a lot of people I know didn't like the movie. Personally, I did. It was... Final Fantasy enough.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 05, 2022, 03:43:44 AMIan Anderson is one of my heroes. Strange days, indeed, but underneath it all there was a sincere, naïve belief that we could achieve a better society. I never believed that dropping out was the way to do it—I thought it was more effective to stay in the system and try to undermine it from the inside.

i dont know. was he naive?

i lean towards th eposition that you cant change anything but yourself, and if you do, then society is better for it-- at least the part that that you occupy. but yes, i agree that every genertion rediscovers that it is mostly impotent against the forces of social entropy.

it aint getting any better.

but in the meantime, i find this astonishing

i never took this instrument seriously.

go to 8:00 and watch his hands.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

No, I didn't mean Ian Anderson. On the contrary, I think he and his music were far from naïve. I meant our hippy hopes of changing the world for the better were naïve.
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

I think there is a case for saying things have gotten better in my lifetime, since the early sixties.

Less racism
Acceptance of gays and others
South Africa has a fairer political system
Advances in science/tech
Ye climate change but there is increase environmental awareness, maybe.
Religion less influential, even Catholics spill their sperm on the stony ground.
Violence against woman has decreased, apparently it used to be a lot worse.

A lot of the shit these days is the reaction of creeps against improvement.
Music has been getting worse since 1973 though. 

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on December 05, 2022, 10:07:17 PM
Even a Theremin can be formidable in the right hands. Them accordions are basically hand-held organs and can pretty much do what an organ can - given the right operator (Or the wrong one, come to think of it. You could make an organ sound like a deflating cat without trying too hard)

Speaking of the music though,
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

was it oscar wilde who heard the bagpipes and then stated

thank god it doesnt have a smell

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on December 06, 2022, 10:40:01 AMwas it oscar wilde who heard the bagpipes and then stated

thank god it doesnt have a smell

Do you think bagpipes don't have a smell?

The Magic Pudding.

And and and... women
Women, some married woman in some circumstances would adopt the name - Mrs[her husbands name] not just Mrs Jane Smith, no Mrs Fred Smith.  I can sought of remember my mother doing it, fucking weird.
A think we are doing better.

The Magic Pudding.

Hi def Werewolves of London
Where did that come from?
His face looks a bit poxy
Could be the result of repeated transmogrification.
Could be.
His hair looked perfect though.
It did.

The Magic Pudding.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

old favorite\\

winding down from 350 miles hauling grocery compactors and mining conveyor belts