News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

If you like low down sci-fi, find the movie Bird Box on Netflix or wherever.  Sandra Bullock is the principal character.  It is not a blockbuster movie but it is almost interesting. R rated for language, violence, and mild sexual content

The North Koreans or some other malicious entity releases a virus that invades the brain via the eyes. When stricken, the victim goes stark raving mad and suicidal.  Thus to protect oneself, it is necessary to wear a blindfold at all times when out of doors.  That makes it difficult to go to the grocery store or elsewhere.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Why does Aquaman look so confused?

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2019, 10:08:16 PM
Just been to see Little Women.
Loved it.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Spoilsport!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on December 28, 2019, 02:42:41 AM
Why does Aquaman look so confused?
I don't think he remembers any North Koreans in the movie.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

They're sly like that.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Rocketman. Watch it with a good sound system!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

The Good Liar with Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2020, 07:05:25 PM
Rocketman. Watch it with a good sound system!

What a true friend Bernie Taupin has been to Elton all these years.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Jojo Rabbit. If you like absurdist comedy films you'll like this one.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 30, 2020, 04:15:59 AM
The Good Liar with Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen.

I think the wife and I are going to watch this tomorrow night, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. Most reviews about the film I have read have been somewhat mediocre, however. The reviews of the performances from these two beautiful actors in the movie have been described as "Flawless".

These are two wonderful actors, two of my favorites as least.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

Today I went to the movies to see 1917.  I have mixed feelings about that film.  Too much death and gore to be comfortable.  You have to go along with the concept of suspension of disbelief..   This was gut wrenching stuff.  Not a movie for your children.

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on February 28, 2020, 01:15:45 AM
Today I went to the movies to see 1917.  I have mixed feelings about that film.  Too much death and gore to be comfortable.  You have to go along with the concept of suspension of disbelief..   This was gut wrenching stuff.  Not a movie for your children.
Why disbelief?

I wasn't there or anything, but I assume that the film was created to reflect - with a dramatic margin of error - the reality of life in (and out of) the trenches. If the gore and death is discomforting... well, that's war! How else would you like it portrayed? Surely the point of the film was to capture the reality?! Do you believe life wasn't thus for these soldiers?

I took my 15y/o to see it. We both really enjoyed it.

As for its appropriateness for younger children, I'd have taken my 12y/o to see it if she were allowed by the film classification nannies. My only concern would be that she would be unmoved by the gore and death because of desensitisation. This film might not be shocking - as the reality of war should be - for anyone viewing through a lens of normalised death/gore as portrayed in any number of fantasy action flicks. (Accusations of being the Liberal Airhead parent accepted...).

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!