Happy Atheist Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Happy Birthday!!!
« Last post by Dark Lightning on January 24, 2022, 02:41:58 PM »
Happy Birthday!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by billy rubin on January 24, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »
cool

what is the sequence of belts in your art?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by jumbojak on January 24, 2022, 02:05:27 PM »
I got my blue belt in jiujitsu on Saturday. Still not sure if I actually deserve it, but it's there now.
« Last post by billy rubin on January 24, 2022, 12:31:53 PM »
happy birthday!
« Last post by hermes2015 on January 24, 2022, 11:52:44 AM »
Happy birthday, dear Silver. Have many more!
« Last post by No one on January 24, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
Isn't argentium a procrastinator of the highest order, I'd like to think it takes her twice as long to achieve this anniversary.
Laid Back Lounge / Happy Birthday!!!
« Last post by Tank on January 24, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »
Another orbit completed for xSilverPheonix!!!

:frolic: :frolic: :frolic:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: questions on Ny thing
« Last post by billy rubin on January 24, 2022, 04:33:12 AM »
is there a difference between science and art?
« Last post by Dark Lightning on January 24, 2022, 01:07:54 AM »
Unitless = pointless, as I'm sure you know. It's therefore art.
« Last post by billy rubin on January 23, 2022, 11:21:46 PM »
its just a random unitless presentation of sewell wright's adaptive landscape model.  suppose youre a giraffe in africa, and the axes corespond to leg length and neck length. in your area a certain combination of the two lets you run fastest without falling and reach the highest leaves without fainting when you lift your head. the peak is the best combination of the two for your area. so any population that immigrates into that region will have a selection pressure that causes the expression of necks and legs to drift up to the top of the peak, like bubbles underwater rising along the inner surface of a hollow dome. over time, the genotype of any population will rise to the peak and stop. if there is another even higher peak nearby but a valley of un-fitness lies in between, then the population will never reach it without a drastic mutation.

its just like en engine map. there wil be a landscape of ignition timing and rpm that shows the highest bmep for all combinations. the shape of the surface shows th eoptimum combinations giving th ehighest bmep. th edifference is that biological landscape is self-improving through natural selection. but the axes and a multidimensional surface are the same.

in the real world, any combination of genes is included in the multi-axis model, hundreds or thousands of them, and they all interact to varying degrees. the various factors combine to form the optimum genotype for a given environmental niche. interspecific competition in bad times means that each niche will hold mostly one species,.

theres lots of interpretations

this shit fascinates me, so i get nerdy over it
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]