News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

DACA Upheld by US Supreme Court

Started by Recusant, June 18, 2020, 04:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

This decision will gall Trump and those of like mind. What in the hell is going on with the US Supreme Court? Mitch McConnell (Senate Majority Leader) prevented President Obama from putting a justice on the bench, which in due course allowed Trump to put his choice onto the bench. This was supposed to help Trump enact his agenda, yet here we have the second big decision in less than a week that thwarts the Trumpist agenda. For our non-US members who don't know what DACA is: "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" | Wikipedia

"Trump's bid to end Obama-era immigration policy ruled unlawful" | BBC

QuoteThe US Supreme Court has ruled against President Donald Trump's bid to end a programme that protects hundreds of thousands of young immigrants from deportation.

The justices upheld lower court rulings which found his move to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Daca) programme was "unlawful".

It protects "Dreamers" - undocumented youths brought to the US as children.

The Trump administration has sought to end the Obama-era policy since 2017.

The Supreme Court took up the case after lower courts ruled that the Trump administration did not adequately explain why it was ending the programme, criticising the White House's "capricious" explanations.

On Thursday, the justices voted 5-4 to uphold the lower courts' findings that the administration's order violated the Administrative Procedure Act, which says a government action cannot be "arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion or otherwise not in accordance with law" or "unsupported by substantial evidence".

The ruling, which does not prevent the Trump administration from continuing in its efforts to end the programme, affects an estimated 700,000 young people who entered the US without documents as children.

In response to the decision, Mr Trump asked rhetorically in a tweet: "Do you get the impression that the Supreme Court doesn't like me?"

[Continues . . .]

Trump can't help thinking it's about him, because that's how he views the world. In reality it's about policies that are contrary to the US Constitution and US law which are getting some push back from the Supreme Court.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

The chump has gone ape-er on Twitter. One tweet, he's rhetorically crying (probably to his base), "Do you get the impression that the Supreme Court doesn't like me?"  Cry me a river.  ::)

billy rubin

once theyre in there, they cannot be removed, anx dont like to be treated like puppets.

hut they can be ignored. andrew jackson did tgat to the us zupreme court over the indian removalz that took some  of my anceztors to oklahoma.

trumps people already ignore congress. im not sure that zupreme court decizionz will fare any better.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

I think your caution is justified. Roberts didn't come down one way or the other regarding the real question, and the title I gave this thread is aspirational rather than a statement of fact.  :sadnod:

Some legal pundit I heard opining on this said that in his decision, Roberts had laid out a blueprint for how the reversal of DACA would pass the legal hurdle that it had failed in this case. So, keep an eye on this space, as the saying goes.  :news:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

That's right, it was more of a "Try again with the right words, hur-dur-durr administration!" Before this hur-dur-durr administration figures it out, the chump will (hopefully) be out of that office.

Recusant

I heard it put like this--Justice Roberts to the Trump administration: "Please come back with better lies."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

trump says he's coming back with a re-do.

this is a failing of his advisors. DACA is extremel;y popular with the majority of americans. if trump had held off until a possible next term, he could whine about the liberals frystrating his attempt while not actually doing it.

if he tries again and succeeds before the election it will be an albatross around his neck

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

^ He has so many albatross around his neck that the giant bird population will be noticeably diminished

Dark Lightning

I'd like to get away with giving him cement shoes, and having a henchman put some fish wrapped in newspaper on the porch. Alas, such a dream is not to be realized.  :(

Anne D.

Quote from: Recusant on June 19, 2020, 03:23:13 AM
I think your caution is justified. Roberts didn't come down one way or the other regarding the real question, and the title I gave this thread is aspirational rather than a statement of fact.  :sadnod:

Some legal pundit I heard opining on this said that in his decision, Roberts had laid out a blueprint for how the reversal of DACA would pass the legal hurdle that it had failed in this case. So, keep an eye on this space, as the saying goes.  :news:

Thankfully--in this case at least--the Trump administration is not competent enough to follow a blueprint. Their administrative actions have consistently been found arbitrary and capricious, and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/the-real-reason-president-trump-is-constantly-losing-in-court/2019/03/19/f5ffb056-33a8-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html 

Magdalena

Quote from: Anne D. on June 27, 2020, 07:24:52 AM
Quote from: Recusant on June 19, 2020, 03:23:13 AM

Thankfully--in this case at least--the Trump administration is not competent enough to follow a blueprint. Their administrative actions have consistently been found arbitrary and capricious, and they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/the-real-reason-president-trump-is-constantly-losing-in-court/2019/03/19/f5ffb056-33a8-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html

Wow!
Federal judges have ruled against the Trump administration at least 63 times over the past two years...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant