News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why I'm voting for Biden

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 21, 2020, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

You are invited to list your reasons for voting for a particular candidate.

My grievances against Trump (not an exhaustive list):

1. He is building a wall along the border of my state (Texas) and Mexico.  This is not wanted by citizens on the border, not needed and, in fact, will be destructive to natural beauty, local culture, property rights, the environment, national security, and international relations;

2. His vindictive personality has divided us more than any time since the Civil War;

3. He does not respect democratic norms and, instead, seeks to tear them down for his own profit;

4. He will do practically anything to enhance his own brand and stay in power;

5. He is in bed with our greatest enemy - the Russian government;

6. His tax cuts for the wealthy increased the national deficit and encouraged the divide between the top 1% and the rest of us;

7. He does not believe in our foundational principle that all were created equal; and

8. He is incompetent and unqualified, as his poor response to Covid-19, race relations, and the economic downturn demonstrate.

Why I favor Biden:

1. He is a decent man - which carries more weight in this election than any before it;

2. He is open and inclusive, and will do a better job of uniting the nation;

3. His experience, including 8 years as Vice President and over 30 as a Senator, show that he is as qualified and ready as any person in the country;

4. His life experiences have made him empathetic and compassionate, something that Trump has no evidence of in his life;

5. He is prepared to tackle our biggest problems - Covid, race relations, climate change, and economic recovery;

6. He is moderate enough to be able to reach across the aisle - there are still some moderate Republicans who will be able to work with him;

7. He is progressive enough to meet the challenges of the future; and

8. He will probably be a one-term President, paving the way for a new generation of leaders (hopefully Harris or some other woman) to assume the helm in four years.

Your turn.

Randy

I think he'll get the respect from other countries back.

He has a good shot at making us the world leader again.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

I hope Biden wins and the Orange Turd gets flushed. If the orange one goes down the toilet, Bolsonaro will too.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Bruce I'd hug you for voting for Jo!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

The shit I took at birth is a better candidate then that absolute fucking imbecile in the office now.

Tom62

I'm so glad that I don't have to vote.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2020, 06:37:17 PM
Bruce I'd hug you for voting for Jo!

I'm returning the virtual hug!  Social distancing!!!

Sandra Craft

That's a good and comprehensive list, Bruce, and I can't think of anything to add to it.  Everything on there points to the fact that Trump is a lethally incompetent moron, and if he's not stripped of power in this election we probably won't have a democracy after 4 more years.  To say nothing of all the other damage he'll keep inflicting for the sake of his money-grubbing and/or Dominionist base.

Neither Biden nor Harris was a first choice for me, but I consider them both better people than anyone in the current Administration.  And I consider the objections I have with them the result of honest differences of opinions and priorities, not the willful malice and indifference that seems to motive Trump and his minions.

I know a lot of Progressives object to Biden/Harris on the grounds that they'll just reset us to 2012, but given where we're headed now, 2012 seems a really good restarting point to push forward with a more Left agenda.  A chance we're never going to get with Trump.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Just in the area of stewardship of the environment:

• Slashing of long-standing and at least somewhat effective environmental regulations.
  • Opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling.
  • Taking a crap all over any attempt at dealing with climate change.

This isn't the complete list even on that one area of policy. I think an attempt at a comprehensive list of all the things that Trump and his administration have done that deserve removal from office might be the work of a day.  :headshake:

Biden isn't Trump, and he's at least learned how government can work. On one hand there is a guarantee of more of Trump & Co's ignorance and avarice with a sledgehammer approach to the machinery of domestic welfare and foreign relations. On the other there is the possibility that Biden will get people to work with wrenches and welding rigs to repair the damage that has been inflicted over the past few years.

Not going to go any further.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

if Biden is going to win then he'll need a very strong and dedicated team behind him. They should be chosen for their merits, not for their skin colour or gender. I won't mind to see an LGBTQ+ person leading the ministry of Defence, as long as that person is really qualified to do a good job.

The way I see it, the main problems ahead of Biden are Covid-19, the economical recession (caused by Covid-19), the lack of law and order in major cities, rebuilding what Trump broken down before (like environmental government agencies) and reinstating trust both in- and outside the USA. What the USA doesn't need right now are more crimes, riots and chaos on the streets, war mongering actions in the Middle East (or elsewhere), racial slurs and racial obsessions, lying media, cancel culture and implementing unaffordable, unrealistic progressive plans.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Trump is a pathological liar.  His base believes his lies no matter how absurd they are.  Most of his damned lies are transparent.  His base believes him anyway.  I am insulted that he believes that we "others" are so gullible.

His deviousness is reason enough to ditch the miserable thief.  I am thinking of the ongoing Post Office Department deal.  Mister LaJoy has caused himself some problems by rendering the postal service less capable.  Does anyone not believe that he was acting on behalf of the deranged President?

One of the marks of a good business manager is that he/she finds, hires, and keeps competent employees.   Too many of his selected people have landed in the lockup. Whats up with that?  Six bankrupt filings, stiffing his contractors hundreds of times.  Trump University?    That was a cruel scam that fleeced a lot of nice, but gullible, people...................................................................................................I can go on but you get the idea.  I do not like the scumbag.  I would vote for a three legged giraffe,  if that was the only alternative to Trump.

Then there was the Bible photo op ................that cracked it for me.   I see that bit of show business as a sacrilege that I would think offensive to Christian folks. 

I am alright with lies about the size of fish that I caught because that is a harmless lie. 

No one

Dump donald, is a fucking coward! He honestly turns my stomach, and believe me ,that is no easy task. He is easily atop my most hated list. To say is lower than the crud that forms at the corners of my mouth when I sleep is a monumental understatement.

As for the flock of mindless sheep in the pastures of trumptardia, they deserve to be stepped on and squashed like the worthless maggots that they are! It's a crying shame that the fake corona virus just doesn't take out the willfully retarded.

Dark Lightning

One of the things that I have learned about the cult of the chump is that they KNOW that he lies, and they like it because "it drives the Libs crazy". And I quote. This, said by a gal in my wood carving class, and she also believes in "chem-trails", but even some of the chump's supporters boo her down on that. Some of the people who voted for him are regretting it. I hope that enough do, though here in California, which is basically a blue state, it's kind of a moot point. All of our electoral votes went to Hilary. As poor a candidate as Hilary was, I'm convinced that she couldn't possibly have done as bad a job as the Donald. I realize that that is damning with faint praise, though.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on August 23, 2020, 01:33:46 AM
Dump donald, is a fucking coward! He honestly turns my stomach, and believe me ,that is no easy task. He is easily atop my most hated list. To say is lower than the crud that forms at the corners of my mouth when I sleep is a monumental understatement.

As for the flock of mindless sheep in the pastures of trumptardia, they deserve to be stepped on and squashed like the worthless maggots that they are! It's a crying shame that the fake corona virus just doesn't take out the willfully retarded.

It would be really nice (in a sick sort of way) that the people who refused to mask would be the only ones to die. The problem, as I'm certain that you are aware, is that people who depend on masking will die because those people didn't. When my wife and I went to the celebration of life for my nephew who killed his wife and himself, maybe 5 or 6 of the 20 or so people there had a mask on. My nephew, where that celebration was held, didn't have a mask, nor his children or his wife or their friends. They are members of some religious cult. When my brother (his father) needed a place to stay when he was undergoing chemo, they insisted that he convert to their religion before he could live with them. I hadn't known that, and he ended up in hospice by that time, where it was a bit too late, as by that time he was already dying. Religion messes up so many people. Or maybe I should say that strict adherence to some religious beliefs messes up many people.