News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

When you're a not-so-happy atheist...

Started by Amicale, February 20, 2012, 03:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachdragon

Quote from: Asmodean on February 20, 2012, 06:47:25 AM
Quote from: Ali on February 20, 2012, 04:01:36 AM
Zoloft.   ;)
This or similar pills with a dash of professional medical help.
Same with me.  I still get down, but now I have the tools to get me through it more easily.

Truthseeker

Amicale,

I really do not have much more to add that has not already been touched on other than that my heart goes out to you.  I think there is a lot about depression that we still do not understand.  Cling to those that love and care for you.  Hang tight.
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 22, 2012, 11:04:54 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 22, 2012, 02:48:16 PM
Quote from: En_Route on February 22, 2012, 02:45:18 PM
From an evolutionary psychological perspective certain behaviours have been the subject of natural selection. If we accept this conceptual frramework, we can  seek to explain how they have come about. But we cannot say they possess any purpose.The behaviours themselves are natural phenomena so are incapable of having any intentionality; there is no intelligent (or unintelligent) designer behind the scenes to whom one can attribute a purpose. The best discussion of the teleological fallacy is to be found in Searle's "Construction of Social Reality".
The idea that our behaviours exist in order to facilitate some greater end is a  fundamental misconception, redolent of the confusion generated by Dawkin's coining of the term "Selfish Gene" which although clearly a metaphor lends itself to being taken literally.
I agree with this completely. Glad you got what I was saying in the end  ;) :D

I also totally agree with this.

Good to be ad idem.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Dobermonster

Found this clip that talks briefly about anxiety disorders and evolution. Made me feel better about it, anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDF8nAd0pbk&feature=channel_video_title