News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Brave, Foolhardy, or Both

Started by Recusant, June 28, 2021, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Either way, admirable for being willing to speak up. I don't know if Ismail Mohammed considers himself a "preacher"-- I suspect that it's just the author of the piece being clueless.

"Meet The Middle East's Atheist Preacher" | The Daily Beast

QuoteIsmail Mohammed is a YouTube preacher who's trying to turn Middle Easterners into believers–in atheism.

Mohammed, 30, left Islam three years ago but he has become evangelical about his new faith. He created his YouTube channel, Black Ducks, in his Cairo home with no more than a computer, speakers and a simple 8 ½ by 11 piece of paper displaying the show's logo. Muslims across the region spend an hour with Mohammed describing why they left Islam and how the navigate a region where religion is seeped in every pore.

The videos' production levels are shoddy but the implications are revolutionary in a region in which some countries, like Saudi Arabia, consider atheism a form of terrorism. Many believe leaving Islam should be met with death. Questioning faith, for some, is a form of insulting faith.

"There are people who believe I left Islam so I must be killed. But maybe if more and more atheists speak up, there will be less pressure and threats," Mohammed told The Daily Beast.

Mohammed's show is part of a proliferation of pro-atheist channels, magazines and blogs across the Middle East is arguably the latest iteration of Arab Spring. When Arab youth once sought to overthrow regimes, they now are embracing small, more tangible gains like freedom of expression.

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

If this guy is for real, I would like to buy him a beer.   

He is flirting with disaster according to my understanding of the Muslim faith. 

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Old Seer

Atheists can be Christian too. Christianity is not a religion it's being a Humanly based person. JC was an example of such. One can only be Human or animal minded, there is no other to consider. The populations of the world are mentally animal based. Hence, terrible social problems.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on July 09, 2021, 02:08:03 PM
Atheists can be Christian too. Christianity is not a religion it's being a Humanly based person. JC was an example of such. One can only be Human or animal minded, there is no other to consider. The populations of the world are mentally animal based. Hence, terrible social problems.

A post chock full of BS.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Not actual BS, christians can be Sikhs just like deaf people can be hearing, or short people can be really tall.

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on July 09, 2021, 04:58:49 PM

A post chock full of BS.
So, what you're saying is, you have no self control at being a decent person toward others.
Please give your interpretation of human nature.
And Humane vs inhumane.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on July 09, 2021, 06:10:47 PM

A post chock full of BS.
So, what you're saying is, you have no self control at being a decent person toward others.

More BS. I addressed the content of the post and said nothing about you. Both that post and this subsequent post are basically recitals of category errors.

I'm not here to dance to your noise.
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Why should I consider being a decent towards others?  Humans suck!

Many use their wish granting magic sky pixie to justify their narrow minded hatred. The huly buuks deem it so.

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on July 09, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Quote from: Old Seer on July 09, 2021, 06:10:47 PM

A post chock full of BS.

More BS. I addressed the content of the post and said nothing about you. Both that post and this subsequent post are basically recitals of category errors.

I'm not here to dance to your noise.
Then you shouldn't have stepped out onto the dance floor. :-) I'm an Atheist. There's no super human being running the universe, such an entity isn't needed to be a decent person toward others. Even if there was he's useless. Every person has the power to decide to be what interests them or what they're naturally drawn to. No one is any different. No reply necessary.
I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

Quote from: No one on July 09, 2021, 08:18:38 PM
Why should I consider being a decent towards others?  Humans suck!

Many use their wish granting magic sky pixie to justify their narrow minded hatred. The huly buuks deem it so.
It's something like a gene pool, as I see it. Everyone swims in the same pool, and at points they meet. The offspring may result in love or hate. There's saying in and ancient understandings, the more one tries to stay to the out side the more one gets closer the middle.
I agree with you. Religions and civil governments are strictly man made and need an authority above themselves to claim they receive authority from the higher concocted being to rule in his/her/its stead. What we have today is an inheritance that came through the millennia and still with us today.  The original ones that concocted this mess were haters. I understand your grievance.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

A post chock full of BS.

First, it's preaching. The mangy gospel of the Smurfs, proclaimed from parts unknown. Generally preaching here is not looked upon kindly. If I were more of an officious arse, I'd make a point of using moderator red, rather than just blowing a raspberry at the twaddle.

"Atheists can be Christian too" is not technically true, nor is it colloquially true. Christians believe in the divinity of Jesus. They can believe all sorts of other nonsense, but acknowledging the incarnation of the Jewish god on Earth is not negotiable.

An atheist might believe that Jesus spoke great wisdom, might even try to emulate Jesus to the best of their ability. That does not make them a Christian, since atheists do not believe in divine personages of any stripe.

All the hand-waving in the world is not going to change these facts, and proclamations to the contrary are bullshit.

"Christianity is not a religion it's being a Humanly based person."  Yeah, tell that to the Humanists. Tell it to the Christians. Maybe the Humanists would nod sagely, and maybe the Christians wouldn't burn the preacher for heresy anymore, but any sensible atheists will laugh and call it for what it is--bullshit.

"JC was an example of such." In the myth of the Christians, Jesus makes it abundantly clear that he is a "Heavenly based person" who is slumming on this planet, bringing the good news of eternal salvation and eternal damnation to the dearly beloved children of his bloodthirsty father. The Bible tells us that he is a god who has taken the form of a man. In the myth Jesus announces unequivocally that his "base" -- his "kingdom" is not of this world.

"One can only be Human or animal minded, there is no other to consider." I'm not going to sugar coat this: Humans are animals. Human minds are animal minds. A false dichotomy isn't wisdom, it's bullshit.

"The populations of the world are mentally animal based. Hence, terrible social problems." I don't know what other sort of mentality might exist in human populations. Terrible social problems are how humans mostly do things. Yes, it's disgusting, but you play the hand you're dealt, or not. The implicit claim that there is some other way for humans to think than the human way is bullshit.

I've read the preaching of the Smurfs, and I reject it. A laconic rejection may be less of a waste of time than a verbose one, but they come down to the same thing.
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on July 12, 2021, 05:08:09 AM

A post chock full of BS.

First, it's preaching. The mangy gospel of the Smurfs, proclaimed from parts unknown. Generally preaching here is not looked upon kindly. If I were more of an officious arse, I'd make a point of using moderator red, rather than just blowing a raspberry at the twaddle.

"Atheists can be Christian too" is not technically true, nor is it colloquially true. Christians believe in the divinity of Jesus. They can believe all sorts of other nonsense, but acknowledging the incarnation of the Jewish god on Earth is not negotiable.

An atheist might believe that Jesus spoke great wisdom, might even try to emulate Jesus to the best of their ability. That does not make them a Christian, since atheists do not believe in divine personages of any stripe.

All the hand-waving in the world is not going to change these facts, and proclamations to the contrary are bullshit.

"Christianity is not a religion it's being a Humanly based person."  Yeah, tell that to the Humanists. Tell it to the Christians. Maybe the Humanists would nod sagely, and maybe the Christians wouldn't burn the preacher for heresy anymore, but any sensible atheists will laugh and call it for what it is--bullshit.

"JC was an example of such." In the myth of the Christians, Jesus makes it abundantly clear that he is a "Heavenly based person" who is slumming on this planet, bringing the good news of eternal salvation and eternal damnation to the dearly beloved children of his bloodthirsty father. The Bible tells us that he is a god who has taken the form of a man. In the myth Jesus announces unequivocally that his "base" -- his "kingdom" is not of this world.

"One can only be Human or animal minded, there is no other to consider." I'm not going to sugar coat this: Humans are animals. Human minds are animal minds. A false dichotomy isn't wisdom, it's bullshit.

"The populations of the world are mentally animal based. Hence, terrible social problems." I don't know what other sort of mentality might exist in human populations. Terrible social problems are how humans mostly do things. Yes, it's disgusting, but you play the hand you're dealt, or not. The implicit claim that there is some other way for humans to think than the human way is bullshit.

I've read the preaching of the Smurfs, and I reject it. A laconic rejection may be less of a waste of time than a verbose one, but they come down to the same thing.
I do not write this in anger or attempt to be deliberately offensive. For the last several weeks I've been working emails, and that is why I haven,t been around much recently. Last night and one this morning disagree with your accusation that I was preaching, and your rude character has been noticed by passers by. I made a short statement and let it be, that's not preaching.They have been studying our site for some time, and yes, an Atheist can claim to be a Christian by today's standards, they are proof of it. When they spent time on the page that points this out they came to an understanding. From other emails we've received show that the idea is spreading and--- you'll still have to deal with it at a future time, it's not going away.   
What one writes and says is representative of that person, and to say their input is BC is the same as saying the person is BS, But we expect it and I'm not intimidated by it but they took exception to it.
If you have disdain for my input you have your options.
I'm not a Theist.

Recusant

Oh, your associates take offense, do they? Good for them. That and five dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
— H. L. Mencken